Glasgow's Cycling Heritage

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow's Cycling Heritage

Postby Dugald » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 am

I can only agree with you on your post here Cyclo, but I don't think I am just as optimistic as you with regard to getting "people onto bikes". Even if the government put some money towards getting people onto bikes, on what and where exactly in Glasgow would it be spent? Would cycle paths be the answer? Yes, it might help to some extent, but there are among Glaswegian cyclists today, a large number who wouldn't use such paths ( I'd go so far as to say most) preferring to ride on the open roads. I must confess to having thought like that for most of my own cycling life, and I suspect you too, would be averse to using a cycle path... I think this "aversion" is reflected in one of your earlier posts where you said: "....but ride AGGRESSIVELY but you might prefer to think of it as ASSERTIVELY". (I tell you, today in the city where I live, the racing cyclists wouldn't like to be seen riding a bicycle path). I hasten to point out that I would now ride on paths... but I'm very long past being a racing cyclist.

Of course, your recent post here is with respect to cyclists in general, the vast majority of whom are not racing cyclists. Paths from suburban areas into town centres, and industrial estates, would of course serve the ordinary cycling public to a worthwhile degree, and I agree with you that encouragement with the likes of "bikesheds and general facilities for those who choose to ride." would help. I think it might work in some parts of Glasgow. It doesn't have to be a path built especially for cyclists, it could simply be a system of side streeets for cyclist only, clearly labeled and effectively enforced... this idea is used to some extent over here, but it could be improved. Would the Lord Provest of Glasgow ride a bike to work ? The Mayor of Toronto has done so very often and he makes sure it gets a big splash in the media. This sort of publicity helps

"Cycle proficiency testing in schools has been all but done away with."

There is a little bit of this goes on in some of the schools over here. I feel it should be done in every school. I didn't know it had ever being done in Glasgow. I have a certificate which states I have successfully passed such a proficiency test; I got it after having cycled for fifty years without one. I had to pay $10 for it and took it only because I thought it was a good idea to promote such tests (the whole club took it!). By the way, in the summer here there's a couple of cops (a male and female) ride around the town and parks on bicycles. They are both very fit people, and I think the sight of uniformed adult types such as this encourages bike riding.

All the schools here have bicycle racks and they're usually near the main entrance so they have some security. Geez, I don't know if I'd be too happy about sending a young boy or girl off to school on a bike. Nah, I'd be afraid to, unless the school could be reached by sidewalk-riding, which of course is very much against the law...as it should be. Maybe I 'd go for it if the boy or girl were say responsible teenagers. Ach no, i'm still not sure.

Worthwhile stuff Cyclo!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:53 am

I heard a very good story just recently,a true one, which struck me as being so Glaswegianesque in the world of club cycling. It offers a good glimpse into the thinking among some of those who are a part of Glasgow's cycling heritage. This old fellow, a member of the same cycling club all his cycling life, died not too long ago. He, your quintessential Glaswegian clubman, left instructions that there was no be no minister or priest in attendance at his funeral, and the service was to consist of eulogies from his fellow cyclists and acquaintances. This apparently all went very well at the funeral, a number of fellow clubmembers presented eulogies of the type the deceased would have enjoyed very much. The part that really struck me as being the deceased fellow to a tee, was that after the service, instead of going to a collar 'n tie restaurant affair.... they had a drum-up!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Bike Week 2008 - 14th to 22nd June

June 14th to 22nd sees the return of national bike week to Glasgow. Whether you’re a committed cyclist or just interested in trying it out, there’s an event running in and around Glasgow to suit.

Most of the events are free and open to all. Have a look at the list of events below to see what’s happening near to you.
Many employers are running a Cycle to Work day during Bike Week. Commute to work by bike on these days and, as well as saving money and improving your health, you could receive a free breakfast, lunch or bike tune up. Check with your employer to see what they have planned.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 pm

Dugald wrote:I heard a very good story just recently,a true one, which struck me as being so Glaswegianesque in the world of club cycling. It offers a good glimpse into the thinking among some of those who are a part of Glasgow's cycling heritage. This old fellow, a member of the same cycling club all his cycling life, died not too long ago. He, your quintessential Glaswegian clubman, left instructions that there was no be no minister or priest in attendance at his funeral, and the service was to consist of eulogies from his fellow cyclists and acquaintances. This apparently all went very well at the funeral, a number of fellow clubmembers presented eulogies of the type the deceased would have enjoyed very much. The part that really struck me as being the deceased fellow to a tee, was that after the service, instead of going to a collar 'n tie restaurant affair.... they had a drum-up!

Great story Dugald. I was reminded of the story of the old clubman who used to regale his fellow club members at drum ups with tall tales of drawing swords with famous names such as Merckx and Anquetil when he raced on the continent. Fed up with his name dropping, a fellow member asked the auld fella if he ever raced against Hertz Van Rental. The auld yin considered the name for a bit then proceded to spin a yard about dropping Mr Rental on an Alpine climb....
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:12 pm

A marvellous idea Mori! I had a read at this and I'm amazed at the great variety of events that are open to all ages. Whoever came up with this is/are to be congratulated. I hope the response in Glasgow makes the amount of work that must have gone into organising it, all worth while. I am really impressed by this, and I wish it every success!!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Blueboy wrote: I was reminded of the story of the old clubman who used to regale his fellow club members at drum ups with tall tales of drawing swords with famous names such as Merckx and Anquetil when he raced on the continent. Fed up with his name dropping, a fellow member asked the auld fella if he ever raced against Hertz Van Rental. The auld yin considered the name for a bit then proceded to spin a yard about dropping Mr Rental on an Alpine climb....

And that too is a great story Blueboy, i had a real chuckle at it. Told the story to my wife and threw in the name Arie van Vliet to make it a bit more convining to a non-cyclist, and it worked very well... took a wee while for the Hertz Van Rental penny to drop, but when it did...peels of laughter!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Dugald

any idea what's happening with the Flying Scot site. I've found an archived version but none of the other links to it work

http://web.archive.org/web/20041016025149/www.flying-scot.co.uk/welcome.html
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Dugald any idea what's happening with the Flying Scot site. I've found an archived version but none of the other links to it work
http://web.archive.org/web/20041016025149/www.flying-scot.co.uk/welcome.html

Dexter, i've just finished reading the site you mentioned above. I don't have any idea at all of what's happening with the Flying Scot site, in fact i don't recall having visited this site before. It's a very good read! I never got on very well with those working in Rattray's shop. I was only in the Alexandia Parade shop once, in the 70's sometime I'd guess, and they couldnt have been less helpful! I'd just arrived in Glasgow and fractured my bottom bracket spindle and walked all the way from the Central to the shop! A cyclist at Rattray's told me to get a bus to Barrhead and Jackie Conner would fix my problem ... and he did! Rattray made a real bundle right after the war with lots of returning cyclists in the market for a new bike, yet i don't remember Rattray himself doing much in the way of donating prizes for Glasgow's amateur events.

Yes, I know, this has nothing to do with your question, and i'm sorry i can't help you... but htanks for the good read!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:01 am

The guy that ran the site was called Bob Reid and I believe he'd a shop somewhere Eastish like Aberdeen or Dundee.
Presumably the site was costing him money!

Damn shame cos it was a real good site, what with the frame registry and all.
He helped pin down my own frame to 1956, MUCH later than it should have been what with the A&P tubing!

You could try here for further reading....
http://www.framebuilders.toucansurf.com/index.htm
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:The guy that ran the site was called Bob Reid and I believe he'd a shop somewhere Eastish like Aberdeen or Dundee.
Presumably the site was costing him money!

Damn shame cos it was a real good site, what with the frame registry and all.
He helped pin down my own frame to 1956, MUCH later than it should have been what with the A&P tubing!

You could try here for further reading....
http://www.framebuilders.toucansurf.com/index.htm

I had a read at Bruce Robbins' covering remark Cyclo, and it sounds interesting. I'm a bit disappointed he failed to mention the other very good frame builder in Govan. I'm speaking of Niel McCulloch on the Govan Rd. I spent three full weeks' wages to buy one of these bikes (complete of course, not just the frame), the only new bike i ever had in Scotland. The bike i ride now (Italian frame) is only 30 years old, old to be sure, but not as old as your Flying Scot!
Cheers.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:31 pm

I'm well aware sports results and the like are not terribly popular on HG, and I myself have in recent years resolved not to watch professional international competitions again, but following Britain's outstanding success in the cycling events at the Olympics this year, it's difficult to remain indifferent. Britain won more cycling medals than any other country in the world! And, on top of this, Britain's prime cycling performer was the Scottish rider Chris Hoy, from Edinburgh, who won no less than three gold medals! This is a superb achievemant and deserving of the very highest praise. Chris is only the second Briton to win three golds at the same Games since 1908! Chris also had the honour of carrying Britain's flag at the closing cermonies. Bravo Chris, bravo!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:32 am

Well done to Mark Beaumont for seeing off the annual Bobath charity cycle at the weekend from SECC to Balloch. Its the second year I have assisted with this charity and unfortunatly over the years the numbers have got less but hopefully with the succsess of the Olympic cyclists more people will be getting on their bikes and getting involved for next year.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:18 pm

ALEX GIBSON wrote:All the recent news items regarding track facilities got me thinking about my past visits to Helenvale rec ground at Parkhead.
I attended a few meetings there during the 50,s and 60,s I also remember as a young boy goin to another hidden facility called Westthorn park which is situated at the rear of the Celtic Sports ground on London road at G31,I used to visit this site with my older brother and I vaguely remember it being an open air cycle track,Do they still use them both for cycling.?

I knew Helenvale and Westhorn quite well and raced at both of these tracks back in the late 40's and 50's, back in the days when johnny Mckenzie, Potter, Jamieson. McCallum, Conner, and quite a few other Glasgow men dominated track racing in Scotland. I don't know if they are still in use but I'd guess they have long since not been used for bicycle racing. The tracks in Glasgow never measured up to the kind of tracks that are now available in the U.K., but they did provide lots of fun for Glasgow's track riders.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:59 pm

GB steel handlebars and stem on a Flying Scot
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:54 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:GB steel handlebars and stem on a Flying Scot

Now Dexter, who would ever have expected to come across a picture of GB steel handlebars and stem of a Flying Scot on Hidden Glasgow. Although i never had a Flying Scot, the sight of your handlebars and stem is a sight with which, like all skinny-tyre cyclists, I'm very familiar... in fact i stare at it for 30 min. every day on my wind-trainer.

In the picture I can see part of the GB brake cables soaring up into the heights. When every cyclist in Glasgow who could afford it was riding a "Scot", the in-thing was to have these cables reach about 18" above the stem. When riding with the head down, the head was frequently seen below the height of the cables! I notice in your picture there is the housing for an odometer on the bars, so I guess your picture must be of a Scot maybe back in the 70-80's.

A novel posting Dexter!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)