Hmmmmm.....Alien War 1991-92

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DesignerMonkey » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:05 am

Ah the memories...great photos Sharon.
Particularly like Number 14 - how much do they NOT look like marines?

The most I remember about it was that while I was trying to get immersed in the set up and just enjoy myself, some lanky kid with a pizza face kept saying 'Ahm gonna pure batter the shite out of that alien, man'.
He gave it a good go as well.
The Jungle? Yeah, I do kinda miss it...but it's nice to get off the food chain, y'know?
DesignerMonkey
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:31 pm

Nice photo!

Shame they're almost all from the London effort :(

Pic 10 is from the works room at Eastwood Swimming Baths - That's where the Alien War London trailer that appeared on the tapes in the Alien Trilogy Facehugger boxset was filmed. The Ripley-alike is Gary Gillies' mum!

Pic 14 is Gary and John themselves - That was ( one of ) the first Alien War promo photo(s) to be released before the launch of the initial Glasgow event.

Those doors were the doors to the original base - You got your pre-running briefing in a mockup of an outdoors area near an airlock entrance to the base.
The first time I went, they were closed, and I had to go up the ramp and open them.
So I was the first member of the public to see inside the base, never mind go init.
Woo! Go me! ;)
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:51 pm

Allegedly a true story, the usual hotchpotch of Glasgow punters were being taken through Alien Wars:

Marine: There something on the scanner
Crowd: Murmur
Marine: It's 10 meters away
Crowd: Shuffle, murmur
Marine: It's less than 5 meters.....Oh my God, it's in the room.....
Wee Boy: F**kin shoot it mister!
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby teclo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:37 pm

I went to this a couple of times, did anyone ever go to it when they brought in the Predator?

The memory I have is going to the last bit and some guy is going through it with his daughter and he slips and falls, the alien stands over him and the girl is running about mad screaming that the alien has her dad.

I lived down south for a while and went into London all the time, always going through the basement of the trocadero and walking past the Alien war setup, but never actually seeing it. Which was a shame.

Ah.. Standing in the little corridor, waiting to go through the door and all of a sudden the lights go out.. It's almost pitch black and the strobes start flashing.... "It's behind the door.. MOVE IT!!!"

You can't beat a bit of terror can you??
teclo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aliferste » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:02 am

I used to work in the Arches at night in the clubs. One night we went for a walk through the set up for "terror" and ended up .....er breaking some of the stuff. It wasnt our fault the doors only opened one way and we got lost :oops:
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:45 pm

teclo wrote:I went to this a couple of times, did anyone ever go to it when they brought in the Predator?

The day the first used the Predator suit ( It had been delayed by a few weeks because of problems with the mask ) , the owner clocked me going in.
Must have had a word with the dude in the suit, because I somehow ended up last through the vent opening - and the bugger grabbed my ankle and dragged me back into the hive room!
The marine fired off a few shots "past my head" and it let go.

Filled my shorts, so I did!
Evil gits :)
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:25 pm

And Alien War is going to make a return to Glasgow on it's 15th anniversary (whenever that was!), going on to tour the world, UK, Europe, Japan, and the USA.

I'll post the dates when I know them.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Timchilli » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Classic.

I remember the Evening Times had a photo of a guy in the Predator suit waiting at a bus stop in Oswald Street, next to an old granny the weekend they first put the Predator into the mix.

If it's coming back again, I'm packing extra undies.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:55 pm

A footnote to add to this is that they still don't have a venue as the Arches are booked out for the summer.... I quote

have you been anywhere that has the same atmosphere as the Arches that we could use?

So any suggestions would be welcomed!!!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Squigster » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 pm

I used to work in a pet shop beside where Tower Records used to be.
When they were "building" the Arches, the rats that came out the place were bigger and scarier than the aliens. I can still remember the sound of them scurring above your head on the suspended ceiling. I expected then to drop through at any moment - Just like the film :(
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:09 am

ill defo be going to this about six times, hehehehe
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:54 am

Promo video looking back to the London opening, early 90s:
http://www.being-there.info/webvids/aw.wmv

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ronan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Outstanding!

Reading this thread brought back the rush I felt when I went to Alien War. Can't believe it was as long ago as 91 though. I remember being young but not only 11 ( as I would have been in 91 )

The age thing really bothers me, as I can clearly still recall at one point me trying to kid on I wasn't in need of a change of pants by calling out for my "mummy", and a really tidy looking woman ( she was much older than me) saying that she would be my mummy.

It was so wrong, for all the right reasons.

Back to Alien War itself, me and my mates still talk about it with reverance to this day. Can't wait till it is back.
ronan
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby deebers » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:32 pm

This seems to be the official site: http://www.alienwarstory.com

Update 30th January 2007: Alien War the attraction is coming back produced by the original creators John Gorman and Gary Gillies..."this time its...The World", UK, Europe, Japan and the USA. More news to follow!

What's the bet it'll still be based in London though. Still - good to see its been kept alive! Can't wait to see it return to Glagow - I thought it was pretty good then - so if this new one's an improvement, then I'm not complaining :)

Incidentally, an old friend of mine went to the very, very first one - before they were at the Arches. They tried it out in a sci-fi convention at the Central Hotel, where two converted hotel rooms, strobe lights and props were used. Wish I was at that one!

________

I just spotted this from: http://www.alienscollection.com

Sorry it's been a few weeks since the last update (hope everyone's been watching Ace of Cakes Thursday nights on the Food Network) but we promise this one will be worth the wait...

We just heard from our long time friend Gary Gillies that Alien War will be returning. Yeah, you read that right, but let me type it again in case you missed it: ALIEN WAR is coming BACK!

Specific details are scarce, as everything is in the early planning stages now, but the plan is it to open this Summer back where it all started, and then take the travelling experience down to London, France, Germany, Europe, Japan and then a full tour of the USA starting in West and working it's way across the country.

Well keep you posted as we learn more details about this exciting development.

So - it looks like it will start in Glasgow, if this guy is to be taken literally - and in summer too! Happy days!
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deebers » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:31 pm

Another update from http://www.myspace.com/alien_war

Alien War will be brought back for two months this Summer to Glasgow for its 15th Anniversary, the unit will be total mobile and can be flat packed and taken to other venues, next will be London, then Europe, Japan and finally the USA. Also in production is The Alien War Story http://www.alienwarstory.com a full documentary that will be broadcast to coincide with the opening of Alien War!
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)