Hmmmmm.....Alien War 1991-92

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby evilmiss » Tue May 11, 2004 8:43 pm

My brother took me to Alien War as a 'treat'. I can remember having nightmares for week afterwards...I was only ten years old...I was terrified of the dark for months after it and I wouldn't go near a lift.......ooooo...... 8O
Don't dream it. Be it.
evilmiss
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aliferste » Mon May 17, 2004 9:17 pm

It was scary as anything, it was all man for themselves when the marine got pulled out the room, barging past kids , women screaming and crying........ah yes.... it would be how Disney land would be if they had one in Glasgow.

The one that came after it was a haunted house type thing, I used to work in the Arches for a number of years and one night walked around it with a m8, guiltily broke a few props .......we got lost OK !!!!
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:29 am

I SO wanted to go!

My big brother went and I was dead jeallous for a while afterwards.

I was only about 8 or 9, and the films' scared me enough as it was, so it was probably for my own sake :oops:
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deebers » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:30 am

Terror was actually an import from Spain!

One of the first ones was in a wee theme park called Tivoli World in Benalmadena, Malaga called 'Passaje Del Terreur' or something like that. It was the first - it was pretty good - with a permanent set - although I couldn't understand a word they said. It also had a branch in Orlando, called "Terror on Church Street" http://members.tripod.com/~tocs/ - that was the best because the actors were really convincing at it was also a permanent set.

I think the only British version is the one in Blackpool just now.

The reason I liked Alien War so much becuase it originated in Glasgow! I loved the whole build up to the event, and as I said in a previous post, I thought The Arches was the perfect place for it.

I had no idea it started in the early 90s though - am I really that old? Jeez!
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:32 am

deebers wrote:Terror was actually an import from Spain!

I had no idea it started in the early 90s though - am I really that old? Jeez!

Oh yeah, that was it, Terror!!

You don't look old deebers! ;-)

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deebers » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:35 am

Old enough to have been in College when Alien War started! I read someone here was only 10 when they saw it! I left school in 1990!

But thank you! :P
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby j m g » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:51 am

I seem to remember a photo in the Evening Times of a Geiger Alien visiting the Royal Infirmary (not certain exactly when it was printed, around 4-5 years ago)
Anyone remember what the story was?
">?<)_><?"^*<>^"><+_@+_^>?(~"^>.:<;<)
j m g
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:59 am

j m g wrote:I seem to remember a photo in the Evening Times of a Geiger Alien visiting the Royal Infirmary (not certain exactly when it was printed, around 4-5 years ago)
Anyone remember what the story was?

It was visiting Casualty after a Friday night in Glasgow ::):
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:03 am

Ronnie wrote:I was at the official opening (I had worked with John Gorman on a video for, I think, BAe at Prestwick - he directing, me writing), and went back a few times. The only time I was actually scared was when I went one afternoon and the lift was filled with 13 or 14 year old girls who screamed the whole bloomin' time, which was scary in itself.

I also worked for a while with John Gorman and Gary Gillies on the script of a horror film, called - I think - Autumn Rising. As part of that, we got the keys to Lennox Castle and explored the old building before it was seriously falling to bits. Now *that* was scary 8O

How about us all collaborating on a show for the Arches called "Abandoned Asylum"? 8)

Ronnie, the other thread has gone bye bye so I've quoted this here for you.

Warmest regards,

TurboZ...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:06 am

Also some Alien War photos...from ma mate...who works with John Gorman sometimes. think these were Johns photos. I forgot I had them till now!

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/AlienWar/images
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby j m g » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:17 pm

A singer called Nareena Pallet had a minor hit a couple of years ago with a song called 'Like An Alien' & I saw her perform this live - at the Arches coincidentally enough (supporting Goldfrapp in November 2001)
">?<)_><?"^*<>^"><+_@+_^>?(~"^>.:<;<)
j m g
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:16 pm

turbozutek wrote:Ronnie, the other thread has gone bye bye so I've quoted this here for you.TurboZ...

Cheers m8.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:21 pm

Cool photos Sharon.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:51 pm

Yep, nice photos, brought back some memories. I was about 13/14 at the time and went a few times. The build up was impressive, kept waiting for quite a while(cos it was busy and also to build the tension) At that age i was into the films in a big way, so it was a dream for myself and pals to be "in" it. The things that struck me most were firstly how dangerous it was to have a bunch of people virtually in the dark clambering to get out of rooms in a panic. I remember getting a fair few bruises as panicky people tried to avoid being 'caught' by the Alien. Secondly, upon running out of the set, coming right into the shop facing a wall of merchandising, which at that age was very tempting!

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby shuttle534 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:57 am

I remember going to Terror with my friend. We laughed at the guy who was behind the wall with the chainsaw only to discover that he reapeared later on. He got right up behind me and gave me a good shove. The other funny bit was the guy who walked you round, he spoke for about 5 mins and asked you to put you hand inside a hole to prove you were brave. My friend went to do it and I told him that if he felt something soft and hairy give it a sharp tug, and that caused the crowd to laugh which lost the actor his audience.
shuttle534
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)