Police vigilance ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Lexi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:52 pm

glasgowken wrote

Remember the stories which went along the lines of, "SHOCK HORROR - Middle Eastern looking men videoing the World Trade Centre before the 9/11attacks" ? There were many similar headlines, and stories. I don't know exactly how these videos were supposed to help the planes hit the buildings

Hi glasgowken,

Remember your history, the 911 attacks was not their first attempt to take down the WTC. Their first attempt was with bombs hidden in the underground garage.

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:17 pm

Does that make it any more suspicious for "Middle Eastern men" to take video outside the WTC, one of the major tourist attractions of NYC ?
The 1993 bomb went off in a public car park not a secure area., no doubt the terrorists knew where to place it by information from building plans, not a home video.

What are these stories saying, no photography near important buildings ? No tourist cameras allowed, every foreign looking bloke taking photos or video will be questioned, and/or have his camera confiscated, and does that also apply to employees ?
And if it's so important can terrorists not simply remember what they see, or will we have to shut our eyes as well.

When news headlines start to be made of people simply taking video, and photos, it's a very slipperly slope.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lexi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:47 pm

Ken,

Its a slippery slope indeed, but the world has changed since 911 and here in the US added extra security needs to be taken.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/08/fortdi ... index.html

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:54 pm

Without following your link Lexi - I will never accept that banning photography / filming will improve security. As ken said...it only captures what the eyes can see.... instead it's simple way of appearing to improve security. People are nervous...ok chaps, lets ban something.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:17 pm

... its the shoe cams we should be worried about
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Lexi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi Sharon

I wasn't implying that photography should be banned anywhere in the world, far from it. Perhaps its just easier for me to accept the fact (being from the East Coast of the US and after 911) that the police need to be more vigilant with folk taking pictures thats all.

If the photogs of HG are being hassled by the police, then why not carry identification, such as a HG badge with your picture and a brief description of your mission to preserve the history of Glasgow through your photos? Maybe even register your indentifications with the Glasgow police departments? (I have no idea if this would be possible :roll: )

Thank you to the members of HG for providing me with all the picutures and stories, which otherwise I never would have experienced.

Long Live the Photos of Glasgow

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:30 pm

Love the HG badge suggestion. Let's get badges made! Or maybe people can arrange to go out together as a safety in numbers exercise. There must be a lawyer amongst us?
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby stinkpad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:39 pm

Why not just get a barcode tattooed on your forehead? If you are that scared of 11/9 type fearorrists then they have already won.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 am

A barcode on the wrist is much more subtle. Hail Satan, etc.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:16 am

SP wrote

Why not just get a barcode tattooed on your forehead? If you are that scared of 11/9 type fearorrists then they have already won.

Ah come on now, try not to carry it that far. I'm talking reality here!
If you think for one minute that I live my life by 911, then you're sadly mistaken. Its just the set of circumstances that has changed the "thinking" of the world. Don't blame me, it is what it is.

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:21 am

Hi FMS

Love the HG badge suggestion. Let's get badges made! Or maybe people can arrange to go out together as a safety in numbers exercise. There must be a lawyer amongst us?

If the you all need some input from a police man from Glasgow, let me know and I'll put you in touch.

On the other hand, if you just joking around with the badge idea, so be it.

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:24 am

Hell no! HG badges are a long-discussed (and controversial) topic here. The idea had been put around and well-mooted for some time since. But I feel solicitors are the answer and not police officers.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:39 am

FMS wrote

Hell no! HG badges are a long-discussed (and controversial) topic here. The idea had been put around and well-mooted for some time since. But I feel solicitors are the answer and not police officers.

Hi FMS

From my point of view on the subject, badges would be the way to go....
Hey if ya can't beat them, then join them.

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 pm

Lexi wrote:
Hi FMS

From my point of view on the subject, badges would be the way to go....
Hey if ya can't beat them, then join them.

Lexi

Let's all report to the local Police Station and register 8O 8O 8O
Let's all wear ID badges to walk the streets and be allowed to use a Camera 8O 8O 8O

I used to have a certain degree of respect for Strathclyde Police, but following a couple of recent dealings with them i am shocked at the level of competence on the average beat Constable.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:18 pm

Let's all report to the local Police Station and register
Let's all wear ID badges to walk the streets and be allowed to use a Camera

Hi Socceroo,

I didn't suggestion you had to wear them, only carry them to show as indentification if a person was questioned.

Sorry I thought this was a serious matter, but clearly I was mistaken so I'll withhold any further suggestions on the topic and let you folk deal with the matter.

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)