Tam Shepherd's

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tam Shepherd's

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm

http://www.tamshepherdstrickshop.co.uk/

I passed Tam Sheperds Trick and Joke shop in Queen st the other day, i remember this shop from when i was very young and bought things like the Mucky pup and stink bombs for classes you never liked at school. ::):

They used to have a 2 bob piece (10p) stuck on the counter which everyone used to go and try and pick up to only realize that you been had :oops:

Its amazing how this wee shop has survived all these years with all the high rents and rates independents come and go but this guy seems to be built in with the bricks for many generations.

Good on him may he last for many generations :D

Anyone have any memories of this wee novelty shop ?

Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:08 pm

Was the mucky pup the plastic pooh? I remember my bruv has this and got my mum and others with it. We of course thought it was the funniest thing ever ::):
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:13 pm

Aye thats the one LG ::):

More on Flicker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shooz/sets/251437/
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:20 pm

Stink bombs? The fecker chased me out of there when I went in and asked
for some years back. :evil:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:23 pm

hand buzzer and whoopie cushion
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:29 pm

A wee bit surprised they get away with calling it s.it btw when children can buy it. Maybe that made it even more naughty n part of the fun, buying something with a swaery word ::):

My boys got stage make up put on to look like they had been in an accident at a fair we were at and I nearly made a fool of myself , the wee
besoms. They said I was a picture.

On another occasion the youngest one bought a fake ciggy I think from Shepherds which puffed pretend smoke and wandered about the local park which had a fete on , he was about nine. Lots of shocked faces but finally my sister saw him and ran at him, bawling him out and shouting at me too. What a laugh, he got her well good that day. We still laugh about it. ::):
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:37 pm

I got my Party Trick from Tam Shepherd's that I've had for years and still bring to the occasional Drinks Night,

The Disappearing Hankie Trick! 8)
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ronson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:54 am

I took my young daughters into Tams last summer to show them a real joke/trick shop. The wee wummin behind the counter wouldn't sell them anything in the display cabinets at the far end of the shop because they were for 'real' magicians or magic circle members only. They were well impressed.
ronson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Grahame » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:42 am

I used to haunt the place when I was at school.
Fondest memories are of Roy Walton, the chap who owns it, demonstrating card tricks up at the back end of the counter. It didn't happen often, but was always mesmerising.
Roy is one of the best card men in the business and has written many books on the subject (Gerry Sadowitz is another great card man who uses some of Roy's routines). It was always a pleasure to watch him.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:05 am

Tam Shepherds is a Glasgow institution. Many happy memories of how to maximise my pocket money to get as many stink bombs, flies in ice cubes, black soap, snappy chewing gum, itching powder and the like. I seem to remember it took ages and the shop was full of wains doing the same on Saturday mornings. The staff must have had some amount of patience!
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:42 pm

I loved joke shops when I was a kid (probably still do!). Mucky Pup always looked fake! I remember when I was about 14, a mate of mine and I went into a joke shop in Sunderland and bought "Shit in a Can", which was basically the same stuff as silly string, but brown and the nossel was wider. It really looked the part. The amount of fake shite around Sunderland that day .... anyway, I remember we'd sprayed this in a shop doorway, much to the annoyance of everyone trying to get in and out, until we agreed with their arguments, said we'd do something about it, and picked up the turd! The look on the poor punters faces was a sight to behold! Happy days!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Love the warning "Choking Hazard" on the packaging of the fake jobby. Eat shit and die!!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:22 pm

An ad from 1938 :)

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:39 am

they used to have two ten pences glued to the counter and they would put your change on top of it, you'd look like a right pratt attempting to scrape it into your hand.

I think i bought about four pounds of fart powder over the years out the place, not that it ever worked. hehehehe
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby triggerhappy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:46 pm

I adored this shop when I was a kid, favourite item being jumping beans which still amuse me now :)

I still go in from time to time just to have a wee look. The fake cigarettes always got my parents, although I stupidly replaced thim with the real thing when I was a little older and now they irritate my parents in a different way :(
triggerhappy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)