Rats up the High Street?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Rats up the High Street?

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:31 pm

During my tea break today I brought up the subject of websites, and in turn, Hidden Glasgow. I was telling the older guys who had computers about it so's they did'nt have the "Ach, it's for the weans!" excuse not to utilise it.

Anyway, we where talking about past events, and some other things about Glasgows history, and one of the joiners was adament that during the clearout of the old fruit market (1960's he thinks?) the Army had to be called in. What it was, was that High Street had to be barrakaded off in order to let the rats move up the street, and not into the adjoining streets/

None of the other boys could remember such a thing, and ultimately laughed their heads off, but he was adament! I said I'd see what I could find out, but hav'nt came accross any evidence. I was wondering if there was anyone who could confirm this story, or even remember it happening?

If true, it's worth alot of money to a certain joiner in my work.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:20 pm

I heard of something like that before but not on that scale.

About five or so years ago, maybe more, one of my friends was driving down next to the Victoria Infirmary on a Saturday between it and the old School where the new Victoria is now getting built. One of the School blocks was getting knocked down during the week and some pest control company had been out poisoning the drains to kill Rats.

On the Saturday morning people were standing in horror at a Bus Stop as about a dozen very large and very drugged dying Rats staggered about the road. The Council were just arriving to round them up as he drove past.

Apparently there is an old Culvert that is open with a Grille at the entrance to the Victoria which runs down Sinclair Drive to the Cart River.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:16 pm

I remember the reports surrounding the demolition of the old Granaray on South Street also. Took forever to rid that site of them.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JimT » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:46 pm

Want to see rats. Just take a walk along the walkway at Carlton Place just at the Sheriff Court and you will see them scurrying around.
JimT
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)