In the bin Please

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

In the bin Please

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:30 pm

Its About time Council did something about the filth thats lying about in the streets of glasgow it's realy becoming embarassing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6375115.stm

Glasgow City Council has launched a £4m clean-up campaign to tackle litter, fly-tipping, graffiti and other anti-social behaviour.
Clean Glasgow is working with local neighbourhoods and businesses to help clean up city streets.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/residents/cleanglasgow

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:35 pm

I've grassed up fly tippers in the past out here and also folk dumping their old setee and associated crap out in the communal areas in town.

Sometimes it's good to grass. Too many filthy bastarts about!
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bonz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:37 pm

brickwall wrote:I've grassed up fly tippers in the past out here and also folk dumping their old setee and associated crap out in the communal areas in town.

Sometimes it's good to grass. Too many filthy bastarts about!

Hear feckin hear!!!
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:53 pm

here in govan we get free uplifts.
last night i put out an old chest of drawers and within an hour some bastart had smashed it and strewn it across the street.
also the punters round here just can't wait till monday morning, it is fairly common to see tv's and videos lying smashed in the street during the week. why on earth can't these fannies dispose of things properly?
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Credit where credit is due. Councils are actively asking people to grass the scum up - it costs (us) them zillions to clear all the shit up; so go on grass 'em up and believe me, you will feel great for at least the rest of the day.

In relation to the fly tipping in my previous post - the bastard got a £1500 quid fine plus costs I think. 8)
Take that you dirty scumbags :D :D :D
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:39 pm

maybe the bin's are just not big enough:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:21 am

It's all very well the council giving people fines for dropping litter, but they should think about putting out some more bins. Outwith the city centre, there is a sad lack of them.
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:33 am

Sorry disagree the bins just need to much much bigger ::): or something like that ::):
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:38 am

They are providing more bins across the city.

and 200 additional bins will be installed across the city.

But What will the CCTV mobile vans do ? :?

Ten new CCTV mobile vans will also be put into action

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/CleanGlasgow/Events/
Forthcoming Clean Glasgow Events
East End Clean Up Day
Friday, February 23.

Duke Street, Alexandra Parade and surrounding streets.

A clean up day has been organised involving 25 pupils and 5 adults from

Glasgow Community and Safety Services Staff Clean Up
20th April 2007

TBC

Glasgow Community and Safety Services Staff Clean-up – the staff of Glasgow

School Clean Up Day
15th March 2007

Eastbank Academy, 26 Academy Street, Shettleston, Glasgow, G31 2QF

A clean up day has been organised with 6 classes at Eastbank Academy – around

Community Clean Up Day
Saturday 24th February.

East Pollokshields Quad (Darnley St/Nithsdale Rd/Kenmure St/Leven St)

The residents of the East Pollokshields Quad (Darnley St/Nithsdale Rd/Kenmure
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:51 am

Speaking in my professional capacity as Roadsweeper, First Class, NLC, (ex), I remember we'd suffer the occasional nocturnal bin raid when the large, free-standing street bins would be rounded up during darkness and spirited away. The suspicion was caravan parks south of the border.

My operational area involved many country roads and fly tipping was a daily occurrence. It almost always involved livingroom furniture and for some reason there'd inevitably be a bloody mattress. Matresses! Hated them, 'specially when they were soaked (who knows with what) and you had to try and fold them over to get them on the buggy.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:20 am

I'd ban mattresses and tyres in second. Not very practical I admit.

In the good old days, where there was fly tipping, at least there was also a few jazz mags. :wink:
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby trudger » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 am

Like 'violent streets' and 'anti-social behaviour', this is a phenomenon which will just get worse and worse because it is a symptom of the general 'couldna-gie-a-fuckness' that seems to afflict a percentage of the population.

You need to change folks attitudes to get them to behave in a more civic minded fashion and thats hard to do. And it will get worse because tomorrows adults, ie todays teenagers, are absolutely something fucking else. Believe me, I might seem like an old c*nt but I aint.
Last edited by trudger on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 am

Mori wrote:...and 200 additional bins will be installed across the city...
...School Clean Up Day...

Bah humbug - Unless they can arrange brain transplants for the little dears as well they could put all 200 between Paisley Rd W and Bellahouston Academy and it won't make any difference. They seem to think the fact that they breathe air entitles them to lob their crud anywhere they like.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

There, you've got me started now.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:25 am

I'm afraid you've both about said it like it is :( :evil:

Why I still volunteer for the village clean up squads I'll never know.

The local scum burn down the the climbing frame and slide in the park and threw the remains in the river ( along with two litter bins and a set of five-a-side football posts ) so myself and a few others voluteered for a clean up with the help of some council volunteers. Yes that's right, Council volunteers, while being giggled at by whom I can only presume were the culprits. Kudos to the council guys though.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm pleased to see the shift in 'blame' and the finger being pointed at those dumping the litter/rubbish.

The past attitude where the council was berated for not 'Keeping the streets clean' and blamed for the mess was less than helpful, and really just drove them to spend more (of out tax) money cleaning up, and made it easier for the louts to litter, as the cleansers wiped their backsides for them.

It's a losing battle though, and maybe Draconian fines and instant pain are the only answer.

It doesn't even occur to me drop litter etc. If I unwrap or open something I've just bought, the paper or whatever is stuffed in a pocket until I get home or spot a bin.

Yet as I walk around the streets, all I see is folk unwrapping their 'fast-food' and cigarettes, with the wrappers discarded without even a thought. In Shettleston, school lunchtime is just an excuse for the main street to be filled with discarded foam 'burger boxes, plastic cup, their lids, paper wrapping from chips and sandwiches etc. There also the hazard from unwanted soups and sauce, just poured on the pavement as they walk along, together with excess noodles. All these items are just dropped without a care as they walk along, and even in front of the local police, who take no notice or issue reprimand.

Maybe there's also a case for fines or something to make the shops concerned feel some pain for the litter they're providing. After all, they can't fail to see the mess at their doors, and just wait for the street cleaners to deal with it. (And I don't believe in hassling small businesses!)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)