In the bin Please

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Mori » Wed May 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Paisley Road pests

WITH its traditional tenement flats and rows of shops, this bustling street could be at the heart of any Glasgow community.

And the litter louts who've wreaked havoc this morning are also, sadly, typical.
Welcome to Paisley Road West in Ibrox where fly-tipping and graffiti are the norm.
It's 9am and council cleansing workers, graffiti removers and enforcers certainly have their work cut out.
Every few feet from Cessnock Subway station right along to Edmiston Drive 200m away, black bags are left propped against bins, takeaway cartons, bottles and cans lie strewn on the pavement and graffiti is emblazoned on shop fronts.

Image Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Chris H » Wed May 09, 2007 9:42 pm

not meaning to offend anyone but Ibrox has been like that since the 60's/70's when the minorities moved in.

My family and a lot of others were forced out (langshot street) by them and also due to the fact they dumped rubbish all over the place.

I was going out with an asian lass for a long time, her brothers used to go round the shops get allt he rtubbish and dump it in the nicest street they could find (their words) so they didn't have to pay commercial disposal rates.

As for people walking about and dropping litter sadly you can't do anything about it, if you do you get a weekender and a fine for your troubles, been there done that.
Chris H
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed May 09, 2007 10:32 pm

Mmmmmmmmm, not wishing to offend anyone but -

Never mind minorities, often seems to me the whole of Glasgow is like that...

(Oh dear, I just offended everybody, leaving now - )
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Minorities? let's call a spade a spade

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Aye the streets were paved with gold till that Irish mob arrived, then the Hugenots with their bloody kebabs or was it baguette wrappers, the the jews and their rice biscuits it might have been kosher, now the poles are back again did they not drop enough bortsch beakers during the war.

What minority are you from Chris, the WASPs?

And what planet are you from too, regardless of the size of the Black Asian and chinese communities most Scottish cities are manky. Who's to blame, well I would think they looked just like us.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Sat May 12, 2007 8:23 am

Found this on my council's website:

http://www.dumbdumpers.org/

You can report people, attach photos etc. It's supported by all councils, SEPA etc. Could come in handy!
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:01 am

When staying in Springhill Gardens, I would always notice rubbish going out the night before bulk uplift day, in the morning I lookd out the window most of the junk had gone but the wagon hadent even been yet. Thing is there was not a trace of it. I expected to find half of it smashed up along the main road but no all was gone!
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:15 am

the part i find most disgusting was the underground , albeit its not too bad now theres cleaners through the day but midday and late afternoon you had to dodge mcdonalds wrappers ,chip pokes and discarded coke cans at times most of which were left on the seats
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat May 12, 2007 11:12 am

SPT should get some sort of litter policy in place, maybe a fine if found droping litter on the underground,CCTV cameras, then again how could they when they have no bins in place so that the public could dispose of thier rubish...i notice over the years they have got rid of the big bins that used to be placed just as you enterd and exited the entrances to the ticket counters... so where do the public get rid of their rubish but to throw it all over the trains.

I noticed one small bin @ Buchanan st pined on to the wall on the platform, don't know if its still there as it was always overflowing with rubbish... is there any others?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:17 am

Thats the only bin ive ever seen on the subway. The underground is becomming like a big tip. Not only the trains but on the tracks in the stations, all sorts of crap down there.

Can only imagine what visitors must think.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat May 19, 2007 10:51 am

Dispatches

Cuts to our rubbish collections are causing public outrage in Britain. Householders are up in arms about the state of their bins as over 150 councils, with another 50 reported to be likely to follow, are axing weekly collections.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 24, 2007 8:47 pm

HERALD

Mean teams’ take war on litter to streets

They are described as "mean teams" and are already on the streets with the aim to clean up the city.

Glasgow's latest weapon in its fight to create "the cleanest city in the world" is a 30-strong squad of litter enforcement officers who will confront, challenge and issue fines on litter louts and dog foulers.

The initiative means Glasgow will be home to one of the most draconian environmental regimes in Scotland. Officers look like police, with dark uniforms, hats with chequered bands and stab-proof vests. They can also hand out fixed penalty notices
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri May 25, 2007 4:06 am

Will they be issuing penalties to neds chucking beer cans & bucky bottles around, will they fuck.
It'll be those terrible wee wummin feeding the ducks in the firing line ::):

If these new bin proposals come in, expect fly tipping to increase ten fold.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri May 25, 2007 10:22 am

=" 30-strong squad of litter enforcement officers who will confront, challenge and issue fines on litter louts and dog foulers.

And how long are their contracts for?
Where will the boundry be (ie any chance they might go beyond the city centre?)
Is anybody actually buying this?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Tue May 29, 2007 5:16 am

That'll be 50 quid please :)

I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Tue May 29, 2007 7:00 am

He didn't try and confiscate your camera for taking that, did he ?
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)