Notre Dame College/St Andrews College, Bearsden

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Notre Dame College/St Andrews College, Bearsden

Postby charliesgirl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:40 pm

There was a story doing the rounds that the grounds of ND were haunted.The story goes that the old seminary of St. Peter´s was razed to the ground in a horrendous fire and some of the young men perished.The stories of various hauntings used to be the topic of discussion down in the Abbotsford pub with some of the young people.Probably some young guys trying to scare us,especially as the long walk up through the grounds in the wee early hours of the morning wasn´t exactly to my liking and perhaps even less under the effects of alcohol. :o
charliesgirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby charliesgirl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:53 am

I must be going soft in the head,when Brian Marjoribanks was mentioned Ithought he was the ghost of Dowanhill because of the way the sentence was structured.It´s taken me a good few days to realise that he was the tv broadcaster and lecturer who held most of us spellbound with his classes.Apart from the workshops I´ve a feeling that he gave psychology classes to us in 1st year.Anybody know,did he?Anyway Ifeel like a right pillock.While I´m here does anybody know if the Golden Hill Pub and disco in Duntocher is still there.We used to go up there on a Thursday night after Top of the Pops and jig the night away and at the end of the night hitch a lift back as there weren´t any late night buses then,only the occasional one at weekends.In those days we always went around as quite a big group(8 of us)and even though we sometimes got split up we never made our way back alone.Only 1 of the group had a bad experience when her taxi driver stopped somewhere up the back of Canniesburn for a fumble and after kneeing him he abandoned her in the middle of a subzero night to make her own way back on foot.Hence 3 hours later, 1 hysterical 18 year old student suffering from severe hypothermia waking up the whole hall of residence at 7 am,including the warden.In spite of this episode(the silly moo shouldn´t have wandered off alone)in the 3 years that I lived in Glasgow I never saw any trouble except down Argyle street after an Old Firm match on a Saturday.I am originally from Ayrshire but I have wonderful memories of Glasgow which I will always cherish. :D
charliesgirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby BenCooper » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 am

St Peter's Seminary wasn't razed in a fire - the fires happened after it was abandoned. There are stories that a couple of the students hanged themselves, but I have no idea if that's true.
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby charliesgirl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Read on a website that the fire happened during building work or renovations. :?:
charliesgirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 pm

cgirl,yes the goldenhill ,better known locally as the gowdie is still on the go.changed hands a few times over the years.would not put anyone off a visitto it if in the area as it is a very clean and friendly establishment.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby charliesgirl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:12 pm

That´s right it was called The Gowdie.What about The Burn Brae in Milngavie or was it Drumchapel?Is it still there?Another place which was really popular on a Sunday night was The Boulevard in Clydebank,the room upstairs had a disco and it was packed with Brian Ferry lookalikes with their wedge cuts ,drainpipes and pointed shoes.Isn´t that what young peple are wearing today? :D
charliesgirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 pm

St Peters College in Bearsden was razed by a fire in 1946 hence the move to Darleith House in Cardross and then move to Kilmahew House and the subsequent building of the Gillespie Kidd and Coia St Peters around Kimahew House.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:53 pm

charliesgirl wrote:What about The Burn Brae in Milngavie or was it Drumchapel?Is it still there?

That's where I started my stewarding career, well in the pub (Elliots) that was attached at the time.

The hotel was still there last time I passed .. I can't vouch for the pub though.

charliesgirl wrote:Another place which was really popular on a Sunday night was The Boulevard in Clydebank,the room upstairs had a disco and it was packed with Brian Ferry lookalikes with their wedge cuts ,drainpipes and pointed shoes.

Worked in there too .. and I've mates who still do! It's not changed much apart the Brian Ferry wannabes now being Justin Timberlake wannabes. :D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby charliesgirl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:07 am

Hi there,found a website with pictures of the old ND/St.Andrew´s and I was absolutely appalled at the deterioration of the interior of the halls of residence.The problem didn´t appear to be only damp and condensation but the place didn´t seem to be getting much maintenance.There are photographs of the interior,the staircases,rooms,kitchen etc. and everything looks really rundown.Not much had changed in the rooms,perhaps only the curtains and coverings.Was still interesting to remember what it was all like as I hadn´t thought about the place in years.My husband has a pub where we stay here abroad and at the end of last summer a couple of chaps in their 40´s came in for a drink and we got chatting.Turns out that they´re only from Bearsden and we soon got talking about the old ND.They told me about the changes and this aroused my interest.Some of my friends from college days also moved out here and I´m quite sure they would enjoy reading the reviews and seeing the photographs. :)
charliesgirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 am

Doorstop wrote:It's not changed much apart the Brian Ferry wannabes now being Justin Timberlake wannabes. :D

I'm in stitches here, trying to decide which one's worse ::):
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 am

I took a trip up here on Thursday and spotted an old opel fruits wrapper in the bushes. of all the days I usually have my camera I forgot it this day!!

score runner beans + ڝ ڝڮ ڝ ڮڠ ڝ ڮڠ
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mark N » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:44 am

Fossil wrote:I took a trip up here on Thursday and spotted an old opel fruits wrapper in the bushes.

Did it make your mouth water ?
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Mark N wrote:
Fossil wrote:I took a trip up here on Thursday and spotted an old opel fruits wrapper in the bushes.

Did it make your mouth water ?

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Rhone » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:34 pm

Went to St. Andrew's College 94/95. The location in Bearsden was fantastic. I remember standing outside the residence looking down the slope, looking through the clear Scottish air, and watching clouds sliding through the blue sky. We used to sit outside in the back area. One lad had a guitar and we'd drink beer while he played everything from Pearl Jam to Pink Floyd. The dances on Friday nights were good as well. Some great memories.

Here is a link of photos that someone else took: http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelpri ... 270409238/
Rhone
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby charliesgirl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi there those are the pictures that I mentioned previously.It´s really sad to see how the place finished up before being demolished. :|
charliesgirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)