Great Western Road

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby bearkit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:35 am

Fireman wrote:
bearkit wrote: I think that tenement was owned by Frasers but I could be wrong (something rings a bell about Pettigrew and Stevens... think they may have been part of the Frasers group?? )

I remember it was Wood & Selby stores that occupied both sides of St Georges Rd at the cross - does that help?

aye... Wood and Selby; that'd be it! I knew it was something and something! I think it was my grannie worked in Pettigrew and Steven's but that was probably in the toon.

Thanks for clarifying that.....
bearkit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bearkit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 am

red_kola wrote:
Fireman wrote:
bearkit wrote: I think that tenement was owned by Frasers but I could be wrong (something rings a bell about Pettigrew and Stevens... think they may have been part of the Frasers group?? )

I remember it was Wood & Selby stores that occupied both sides of St Georges Rd at the cross - does that help?

Annoyingly just out of shot...

Another cracking photo! You can make out the signage for Wood and Selby.

Just looking at the quality of those tenements that were demolished - they looked half decent, and really only a few needed to be removed for the ring road. With hindsight it was a catastrophe that a lot of these buildings were pulled down.
bearkit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Wood & Selby's

Postby dimairt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:46 pm

The first one shows the W & S stores on both sides of the road. I've added an advert from a Metropole programme.

Le durachd,

Dimairt

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Great Western Road

Postby hound dog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Back to the 1972 fire - came across this site that has a detailed account of the fire written by a rookie fireman at the time who was off duty. Also contains a number of drawings and photos

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/history/maryhill-road-firep

Thinking it may may have been Fireman who wrote this up?
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:50 pm

hound dog wrote:Back to the 1972 fire - came across this site that has a detailed account of the fire written by a rookie fireman at the time who was off duty. Also contains a number of drawings and photos

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/history/maryhill-road-firep

Thinking it may may have been Fireman who wrote this up?

Yup, that was me - in the days before I was skilled in computer generated drawings, you can tell can't you. :oops:
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hound dog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Fireman wrote:[

Yup, that was me - in the days before I was skilled in computer generated drawings, you can tell can't you. :oops:

It's brilliant :D I'd just returned from the Mitchell where I had been checking out the newspapers accounts of the fire and then decided to see if I could find anything online about it - would have been better to check online first :roll:

I've been researching the area for a while (in a strictly amateur manner) and there are plans afoot for a Woodside Heritage Trail. I had a rummage through the local history box in the library and attempted to put stuff into some kind of order . Then I asked the staff if they could set up a wee local history section on a few shelves, and they were very helpful. Hope to try and develop it a wee bit over coming months. So, I'll be looking for any interesting material that locals might have that is not currently in the public domain :)
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 pm

hound dog wrote:It's brilliant :D I'd just returned from the Mitchell where I had been checking out the newspapers accounts of the fire and then decided to see if I could find anything online about it - would have been better to check online first :roll:

That's very generous of you, thank you. :D
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:27 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for that Bobby - love the one looking up Gt Western Rd :D Must have another look at David's photos and see what's in there - checked them out when you first posted the link and I remember there was lots of good stuff, but just can't remember what all was there.....
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tinapaul » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:29 am

Just came across this posting. I was in the Maryhill fire when I was 10 years old and still remember it to this day. We lived directly above the shop... Sure it was Trident. The shop was a new shop which was being setup. We lived on a high back and I was playing outside when I spotted fire and burning paper coming out the vent from the shop that went up to the roof. I remember running up and telling my mum then all the neighbours including the lady at the top who died in the fire.
tinapaul
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)