Great Western Road

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:03 am

Great photos dimairt, i've been trying for ages to find a view of the old St George's Cross station entrance.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:58 am

Love that second photo dimairt. I can nearly see where my flat with the hole in the living room ceiling was built. Clarendon Street just seems to leap out of the ariel view.

I think the area is better than most but to hear about the vibrancy which it once held is a wee touch sad. St. Georges X subway is so lonely where it sits. They (SPT? The Illuminati? Opus Dei?) should erect a glorious space age dome over it and make it a visual focal point. Then we get rid of Ladbrokes and get a sushi bar going. If anyone wants to open a trendy bar let me know.

Here are some modern comparisons at pavement level taken with my phone.

Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby tommytank » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 am

dimairt wrote:I've got a photo of the subway during renovation showing it in splendid isolation...

I don't feel nostalgic about living in a slum - we had a room and kitchen in Oakbak Terrace - but the planners got it badly wrong in this area. I've seen official photos taken during redevelopment with notes and highlighted areas that indicate that they didn't know what they were doing.

Le durachd,
Eddy

Did you post the pic of the subway isolated? Could you? I have searched but cant find it. And is there any chance you have those official photos? would have been sweet to see the developers being as clueless then as they are now! ::):

Was looking at the aerial shot of the bottom of GWR during redevelopment, there really are no clues of where the subway would be in that tenement block thats gone. It must have been a nightmare for an out-of-towner to travel about! These entrances were well hidden!
Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:18 am

tommytank wrote:there really are no clues of where the subway would be in that tenement block thats gone. It must have been a nightmare for an out-of-towner to travel about! These entrances were well hidden!

Tourists ibn Glasgow in the sixties I don't think so. And if they were they'd be in a taxi.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 am

As F.M. Shug says, there really was a vibrancy about the area then but I do think that it is on the up again.
By the way, the Thistle Bar on Maryhill Rd. at Clarendon St. was a recent attempt to open a "trendy bar." Sadly it failed despite good write-ups for its food in the Herald.
I don't have those "official photos" I referred to but you can see them at Maryhill Library. Ask at the desk for the local history files and you'll get two or three folders with hunners of photos. You'll see aerial shots of Queen's Cross, for example, marked in felt-pen with 'housing' or' industrial estate' on them and a Glasgow Corp. date-stamp on the back . The area marked 'industrial estate' became housing - that's the kind of thing I meant.

Le durachd,
Dimairt

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tommytank » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Cool. Great pic by the way. Explains pretty well where it stood now! :D
Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:31 pm

I've just been having a quick look at a new book by Carol Foreman, "Glasgow from the Air - 75 Years of Aerial Photography."
It's from the RCAHMS archives and has some marvellous views over St. George's Cross among other places.
Highly recomended for all HG users and anyone interested in Glasgow. There is a copy in the Glasgow Room at the Mitchell.

Le dùrachd,

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:29 pm

Image[/quote]

It's funny to see the building I lived in from 1960 until the mid 1970's, takes me right back.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:54 am

Fireman, do you have any snaps of the area?

Le dùrachd,

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:57 am

Hi dimairt,

Nothing of the quality you're posting, more a couple of "happy snaps" of my car with the buildings in the background. I'm not a home right now, but I'll post them tonight.

I have some others from the Maryhill Road fire (18th November 1972), not my "own" though, I believe they were press photographs taken during the fire that I used to write an account of the fire for a fire brigade related web site. They show aspects of the corner of Maryhill Road / Gt Western Rd and sections of Maryhill Rd & Gt Western Rd during fire-fighting operations. Not great quality, but I can post them if its of interest to you / members?
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks Fireman. I've got quite a few of the fire and its aftermath but post them anyway, it maybe something new to other HGs.
Here's one for you.

Le dùrachd,
Dimairt

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks for the fire station picture - sat in the back of that old AEC many a night!

I had a look for the pictures I mentioned and this is the only one I have scanned of my St Georges X photographs - not too good I'm afraid, but the car was my pride and joy. :D

These are of the fire -

Last edited by Fireman on Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks Fireman, they're great. I haven't seen these photos of the fire before; I'll add my snaps when I'm back at the office tomorrow.
If you've got anymore of the area, let's see them too.

Le durachd,

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 pm

thanks for share guys 8)

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Simba » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Bit of background to the fire to the non Weegies here? ;)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)