Oldest Tenements

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Oldest Tenements

Postby Jazza » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:37 pm

ok Glasgow boffins, historians, researchers and general know-it-all's.

The block of flats I live in was built in 1877, which is a 130 years ago this year, so it got me wondering... how old are the oldest tenement dwellings in Glasgow, and for bonus points where abouts are they?
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jazza » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:51 pm

just to self-bump my own thread I found this:

http://www.scotcities.com/cathcart/houses.htm

(tenement bit second from top) and the carving with 1877 is on my building which adjoins Brownlie Street.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oldest Tenements

Postby red_kola » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Yer Glasgow 1847 Map is probably a good place to start:
http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/glasgow_1_centre.html

I'd say the houses at the M8 end of West Princes Street/ Queens Crescent must be in for a shout as some of the oldest surviving. A couple of 150+ year old blocks exist on Grant Street too (although the Queens Crescent properties were built as townhouses, I think. For the same reason I am excluding any Park Circus area properties.)
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:27 pm

I think its the two blocks on the Gallowgate, I'm sure one of thems dated 1771 (or close to it), theres also the block fronting Wilson St, Glassford St and Hutcheson St which is a survivor from the 1790's, and of the city's first New Town expansion. Or theres the sole surviving Grahamston tenement on Union St, now the Mackintosh Hotel but Im not sure of a date for that so it might not be that early.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:44 pm

As far as 'bread and butter' tenements are concerned (as opposed to townhouses and fancy terraces), the tenements in Minerva St just of Argyle St were built in 1853.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:46 pm

I think the Glasgow Street area in the West End is also about that age.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:12 pm

The block at Havelock St/Dowanhill St/ Lawrence St/ Hyndland St was built in 1864. It appears on 1865 maps and is the only building in the area, although you can see the street plan marked out.
I was going to post a link to old maps there, but the server seems to be down. Nae luck...
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tommytank » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:00 am

red_kola wrote:Yer Glasgow 1847 Map is probably a good place to start:
http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/glasgow_1_centre.html

A couple of 150+ year old blocks exist on Grant Street too

I used to live in one of them. Awesome big ceiling job, parties were great too, you could let off bombs in them without a flicker upstairs ::):
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby theplumber » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 pm

Is it falling down yet....mine in Carmyle was.....so we buggered off!
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Just to revitalise this and ask a question (and say hello again after a very lengthy hiatus!):

Does anyone know a good online resource of finding out when a tenement was built? I'd like to know when the building I live in was built. It's a tenement on Broomhill Drive, should anyone be able to help.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Mitchell Library is where you will find that information along with the original plans of the building. Give it a visit.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:I'd like to know when the building I live in was built. It's a tenement on Broomhill Drive, should anyone be able to help.

Built 1871, except no's 137-159 which are 1902, and red sanstone tenements built between 1888-1910.
dazza
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 pm

You don't have next weekend's lottery numbers too, do you? PM me :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby mooshimooshisan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks Dazza! Mine is a red sandstone at bottom, so that narrows it down a bit :)
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby misspandalebear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:36 am

Hi everyone, I'm a relative newbie. Have been trying to do some research into my building on Alexandra Parade. It was built in 1874 and is now b-listed, although not considered part of Dennistoun Conservation area :(

In doing a little research at the Mitchell Library I have since found out that the faded number 3 at the entrance to my close was the original number for a few years, presumably before the plans for the rest of Alexandra Parade were finalised. A few years later it had become 645!...

So this brings me to the point.... was this one of the first buildings on Alexandra Parade???

The corner building is also pretty different from it's surrounding neighbours and looks a little 'grander' dare I say, so how can I find out who the architect was? Perhaps even find some original plans... 8O

Also, I have been trying to find any older photographs of this building and so far have only a few... :cry:

Can any of you lovely, knowledgeable people help?...

yours greatfully,
Panda
misspandalebear
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)