Glasgow famous people...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow famous people...

Postby theplumber » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Does anyone have any famous Glasgow people living near them or have they met any through the years? I bumped into John Gordon Sinclair the "comedy actor " years ago in Mc Cormacks the music shop in Bath St. Also my mate who I played in a group years ago was in a band that was being.....well not so much managed by but being looked after by the ex Bay City Rollers bass player Alan Longmuir.It seems Alan(who is a really nice guy but comes from Edinburgh.....) used to be a plumber before he made it and when my mate found that out he said to him ..the next time you are in Glasgow,drop in and listen to some demos...oh and by the way,could you plumb in my gas cooker....which he did.........why the fuck did he not ask me?
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gordon » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:34 pm

Darius (of pop star fame) used to live two doors down from me. And once I stabbed his brother in the ear with a plastic Thundercats sword.

Happy days.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:35 pm

I once bought Elvis Costello a pint of lager up the Barraland.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:38 pm

Not that I can think of, both in Glasgow and up north. I was behind Johnny Beattie in the queue in Somerfield Byres Road last year though. ;)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

lulu

Postby theplumber » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:41 pm

On the subject..I read Lulus biography a few months back and she tells a story of being on the same concert tour bill with The Who in the sixties and says that when they played at The Barrowlands ballroom she invited them to a party at her mum and dads house in Bathgate St Denistoun....and they went...bizare to think these rock gods were parting it up in the east end all those years ago and I was sleeping in my wee bed a few miles up the road in sunny Barlanark..........rock on ya bass.......
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby theplumber » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:43 pm

Also seen the late great Ricki Fulton in West Nile St years ago wondering where the fuck he was.........
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:45 pm

I used to have Robbie Coltrane as a customer when I worked on M/Cs. The big man had a Sunbeam.
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:45 pm

If you are talking about seeing people then I've seen a lot...but don't personally know any!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:48 pm

I was very lucky to have grown up in the West End and actually meet some of the greats; Rikki Fulton, Jack Milroy but my favourite of all shall always be Una MacLean. I was very good friends with her son Gavin and we had some funtastic nights at his place. Her dog Pickles was a friendly beast who used to eat shit, then when it saw you from the distance would bolt up and lick your face!

The other is Stanley Baxter - a very private, very shy man and a gentleman too. I was lucky, in the right place at the right time and some of these people although famous were part of our weekly lives. I could mention some whose heids were stuck up their arses but people are people!
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Now all you seem to see in the West End is various River City folk.

Although in the Botanics last summer I did see Edith Bowman. She looked rather nice.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Big Robbie

Postby theplumber » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Yes big Robbie has been sighted a few times in the West end.....mainly round boozers and auto part places
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Stanley Baxter

Postby theplumber » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:56 pm

He should be knighted or made King of Glasgow....lets face it..all the greats are gone and he is a link to the great Glasgow entertainment of yesteryear and still on this planet....lets put him on our collective shoulders before he goes to that great theatre in the sky....or something like that!
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:15 am

Simba wrote:I was behind Johnny Beattie in the queue in Somerfield Byres Road last year though. ;)

Hope you gave him the finger 8O
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Big Robbie

Postby ghiribizzo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:24 am

theplumber wrote:Yes big Robbie has been sighted a few times...

A sight to see was Robbie in his convertible 60's Mustang with a 'Ballbarrow' jammed in the passenger seat. Not much space left!
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby theplumber » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:27 am

Whats a ball barrow.....was it the James Dyson invention or something to carry Robbies sacs in!
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)