Glasgow famous people...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: lulu

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:29 am

theplumber wrote:On the subject..I read Lulus biography a few months back and she tells a story of being on the same concert tour bill with The Who in the sixties and says that when they played at The Barrowlands ballroom she invited them to a party at her mum and dads house in Bathgate St Denistoun....and they went...bizare to think these rock gods were parting it up in the east end all those years ago and I was sleeping in my wee bed a few miles up the road in sunny Barlanark..........rock on ya bass.......

On the subject or world famous people being in strange parts of Glasgow, in 2002, just after 5pm on the day of the Champions League Final at Hampden I was in my mate's car coming up Pollokshaws Road going towards Shawlands Cross.

Just as we're going by the boating pond, police motorbike outriders and the Real Madrid bus come up the bus lane on the inside so we drive along side them. The bus turns at The Corona and heads over by the Battlefield monument for Hampden.

It was weird seeing world superstars like Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Roberto Carlos, Raul, Makelele, Hierro, Morientes and McManaman gazing out a bus at Shawlands Cross!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:37 am

theplumber wrote:Whats a ball barrow.....was it the James Dyson invention or something to carry Robbies sacs in!

Er, James Dyson's thing was what was in the car. What he used it for...
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:44 am

gordon wrote:Although in the Botanics last summer I did see Edith Bowman. She looked rather nice.

I saw her at the Editors' gig in the Carling Academy last year (she's going out with the lead singer) and she looked a right senga.
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby theplumber » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:46 am

Yes seen her on the telly the other night and she looked hacket......
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:23 pm

Marti Pellow used to stay in Crow Road because you could see him washing his dishes from the kitchen of my Grannies flat in Woodcroft Ave.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:19 pm

About 3 years ago I saw Fran and Anna buying penny sweets in Booker cash and carry.

I mingle with all the top celebs dont you know. :P
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:26 pm

I know this sounds unlikely, but I was on the train back to Helensburgh a good few years ago and Joan Collins (or somebody very like her) got on at Partick and gave me 'the eye'.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Willie Waddell, famous Rangers player and manager, lived up my close when he was a boy [don't know what floor it was, might even have been my own flat].
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 pm

My mum gre up beside Johnnie Beattie and The Alexander Brothers.

My dad was walking up the hill leading to 154 broomhill drive, when he walked by a guy the said hello to each other, wasnt until later he realised it was Mark McManus, they were filming taggart on broomhill drive at the time (the episode where the wee boy lives with his mum, and step-dad in edinburgh and his dads a glasgow gangster, the dad was killed watching tyhe thisle v sellik scottish cup game from 1988)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:20 pm

On the day I got the keys to my flat/ bomb-crater in Glasgow, I saw Stuart Murdoch from Belle and Sebastian and they are one of my very favourite music ensembles.

I have seen the great actor/ director Peter Mullan in Ashton Lane on friday night.

I met Tony Blair, but that was in Ayr.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:27 pm

viceroy wrote:Willie Waddell, famous Rangers player and manager, lived up my close when he was a boy [don't know what floor it was, might even have been my own flat].

You weren't sure! Did the tanner ba' on the sideboard no give the game away?
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:40 pm

tobester wrote:My mum gre up beside Johnnie Beattie and The Alexander Brothers.

My dad was walking up the hill leading to 154 broomhill drive, when he walked by a guy the said hello to each other, wasnt until later he realised it was Mark McManus, they were filming taggart on broomhill drive at the time (the episode where the wee boy lives with his mum, and step-dad in edinburgh and his dads a glasgow gangster, the dad was killed watching tyhe thisle v sellik scottish cup game from 1988)

Don't remember him being killed watching the game, but remember the episode!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:47 pm

He was watching the game, answered his door as he thought it was his son and was murdered, the wee boy hid in the bottom of the stairs and saw the murderer leave the close.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:48 pm

tobester wrote:He was watching the game, answered his door as he thought it was his son and was murdered, the wee boy hid in the bottom of the stairs and saw the murderer leave the close.

I obviously paid more attention to the murder than the telly! ;)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:53 pm

only remember it cos i was a programme seller at firhill at the time, and i was at the game (free entry), at the time it was the biggest game id ever been too.

been eclipsed by beating rangers 3-1 days after they won the league in 92, beating sellik 3-0 at porkheid, the back to back promotions of 00/01 and 01/02, and going mental at dingwall in may winning the 05/06 d2 playoffs.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)