Wallace the Fire Dog

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Wallace the Fire Dog

Postby Simba » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:26 pm

Did a search a wee while ago for this, and found it mentioned very briefly in a thread. However, I thought it was worthy of a thread of it's own.

Wallace the Fire Dog was based at Glasgow Central Fire Station (Ingram Street I believe) who 'helped out' at fires and was a celebrity of his time almost!

I don't really know much else about it, there are kiddy books written about it which is how I found out about them although they are no longer in print. I've only read one of them although I believe we have a few others. The one I read was about him saving children who were trapped in a burning school. I'd be interested if anyone else has other stories or information about this!

Ta.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Simba,

I have several of the books you mention, as I have a special interest in Wallace. I used to visit him every time I went to see my Granny. He was displayed with his little leather boots in the fire station in Ingram Street, which is now a restaurant.

I asked at the People's Palace on my last visit and was told he is now in the storage facility at Nitshill, but could be visited on request.

The books I have are -

Wallace the Fire Dog
Wallace's School Adventure
Wallace loses his Boots
Wallace and the Fireworks

I am still trying to get 'Wallace has a Happy Christmas'.

These children's books were written by James Drummond and illustrated by Louise Annand, except for the 'City Chambers' book, which was illustrated by Sandra Pratt.

If you are able to get an original 1960s 'Wallace- Glasgow's Immortal Fire Dog' book by Albert Terhune, they change hands at incredible prices.

I am hoping to put together a talk/small book about Wallace sometime in the future, when I can find time.

I will watch this thread with interest.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Wallace the Fire Dog

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:07 pm

Simba wrote:Wallace the Fire Dog 'helped out' at fires

Hahahaha, brilliant, Simba ::):

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:29 pm

ibtg wrote:I am still trying to get 'Wallace has a Happy Christmas'.

That's the only one we don't have too!

HH - Love the smiley!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Which restaurant is it on Ingram St btw?
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:38 pm

ibtg wrote:Simba,

I have several of the books you mention, as I have a special interest in Wallace. I used to visit him every time I went to see my Granny. He was displayed with his little leather boots in the fire station in Ingram Street, which is now a restaurant.

I asked at the People's Palace on my last visit and was told he is now in the storage facility at Nitshill, but could be visited on request.

The books I have are -

Wallace the Fire Dog
Wallace loses his Boots

These children's books were written by James Drummond and illustrated by Louise Annand, except for the 'City Chambers' book, which was illustrated by Sandra Pratt.

If you are able to get an original 1960s 'Wallace- Glasgow's Immortal Fire Dog' book by Albert Terhune, they change hands at incredible prices.

I am hoping to put together a talk/small book about Wallace sometime in the future, when I can find time.

Simba if you go to this link on AbeBooks.co.uk you'll see theres another Wallace the dog book called Wallace goes to the City Chambers they have a copy priced at £ 2.50 + Postage which is £3.35

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... 0&sortby=3

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:40 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:

The books I have are -

Wallace the Fire Dog
Wallace loses his Boots

Simba if you go to this link on AbeBooks.co.uk you'll see theres another Wallace the dog book called Wallace goes to the City Chambers they have a copy priced at £ 2.50 + Postage which is £3.35

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... 0&sortby=3

Jim

According to my mum we have it too.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:44 pm

Simba wrote:Which restaurant is it on Ingram St btw?
Well, it was called the Fire Station for many years but it's now this:
http://www.adlibglasgow.com/index_mc.htm
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Yeah, sorry about that - I have the City Chambers one as well. Does ANYONE out there have the 'Happy Christmas' book - one for me and one for Simba? :(
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bigross » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Wallace can be found in his wee glass case in the reception to SFR's North West Glasgow headquarters on Port Dundas Road. As far as I know he was moved there after the old Central on Ingram Street closed.
bigross
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:15 pm

Somebody's got to get a photo.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:46 pm

So he is not at Nitshill? :?

There is an old B&W photo of Wallace in his glass case in the book on the history of the Glasgow fire service, "Proud Record", but I don't know how to upload pictures. (Someday I will get around to reading that forum!!)

A new colour photo of wee Wallace would be great. :)
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Simba » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Maybe one day soon! If someone gives me directions where to go!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:52 pm

I would agree with bigross - the last time I saw Wallace he was in the front foyer at the Command HQ section of Cowcaddens Fire Station in Port Dundas Rd in Glasgow. I know he went back and forth to Hamilton HQ once or twice, but I believe following representation from the Glasgow crews he was returned.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Socceroo wrote:Somebody's got to get a photo.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSE00705
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)