Glasgow Hurricane January 1968

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Hurricane January 1968

Postby banjo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:45 pm

there was a row of lock ups outside my house before that storm ,there was half a row the next day.it blew the statue of mercury off the town hall roof in clydebank and it now stands inside the town hall as it is deemed too unsafe to put it back up.i was eight at the time but remember it well.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:30 am

I remember it well too , I was 8 at the time and it decimated the tenements in Kingston, I remember coming out the close in the morning to go to skool and there was a polis at the close saying go back to your house as there was a chimney hanging over the building waiting to fall, all i cculd think of was a day off skool, happy days :D
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:32 pm

I was 11 at the time and lived on the top floor of a tenement we were due to move that week to a new house in Scotstoun. I was sleeping next to my granny in the recess bed and I remember feeling terrified waiting for the windows to come in. I heard a loud creaking noise coming from the roof and I'll never forget leaving the recess when my gran went into the kitchen too frightened to stay on my own. By sheer luck we left at the right time as shortly after that something fell over in the attic and came through the ceiling.
When we moved to the new house a family from Anderston were rehoused in the same block due to the tragedy of losing one of their children due to a collapsed roof.
To this day I'm still scared of high winds.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:38 pm

I don't blame you.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:33 pm

scaryman2u wrote:I remember it well too , I was 8 at the time and it decimated the tenements in Kingston, I remember coming out the close in the morning to go to skool and there was a polis at the close saying go back to your house as there was a chimney hanging over the building waiting to fall, all i cculd think of was a day off skool, happy days :D

i remember we went to stay at my grannies in glasgow(we lived in fife) the weekend after the storm and remember a tenement in pollock street with the gable end missing and you could see all the different wallpapers
i would have been nine then cant remember whether this was when the buildings between the pub and the corner of houston street were demolished there was a pawn brokers on the corner of watt street and houston street
i will need to go to my local library and have a look at the local daily paper the dundee courier and advertiser and have a look to see what was reported about the storm cant remember if dundee or edinburgh or fife were affected by the storm
in 2002 around jan or feb there was a severe storm as steel panels were ripped off the abc cinema in lothian road in edinburgh
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 pm

I'd be nine at the time and living in the Gorbals.
Our chimney stack came down, which was on the gable end ot the tenement, leading to us being evacuated for a time and having to stay, in the Irish Club on South Portland Street, next to the Great Central Synagoge. Both long gone as is most of South Portland Street.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:34 pm

I remember looking out of our windows (second floor) and seeing dustbins flying past.Next morning I walked to work to Browns yard in Clydebank. Most of the chimneys were down. Streets were covered in slates / rubble. All the windows of shops blown in. I recall store mannequins from John Collier the tailors lying naked in the street. We thought it was bodies as the street lights were all off. There were a lotoff well dressed shipyard workers that morning.,
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:22 pm

there was a relative of my grandfathers who lived in a high rise block of flats and they were moved out because the building was swaying in high winds but am not sure if it was connected with the hurricane of 68 or not
the residents were moved out so that repairs could be done
the relative and his wife were moved to a house with a garden but when the block was ready to move back to they decided to stay instead of moving back to the high rise not sure where the high rise block was i think it was in the ibrox area.
anyone recall this?
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: When the hurricane hit Glasgow 1968

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 pm

hungryjoe wrote:Does anyone remember this? I was 14 and remember watching the Red Road Flats swinging about like crazy. I also remember tenement buildings having tarpaulins on their roofs for years afterwards, the maisonettes at Fountainwell road lost their roofs as did Kirkie baths. Substantial loss of life and damage to property all around yet I can find very little on the internet.

the researcher wrote:there was a relative of my grandfathers who lived in a high rise block of flats and they were moved out because the building was swaying in high winds but am not sure if it was connected with the hurricane of 68 or not
the residents were moved out so that repairs could be done
the relative and his wife were moved to a house with a garden but when the block was ready to move back to they decided to stay instead of moving back to the high rise not sure where the high rise block was i think it was in the ibrox area.
anyone recall this?
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:11 pm

scaryman2u wrote:I remember it well too , I was 8 at the time and it decimated the tenements in Kingston, I remember coming out the close in the morning to go to skool and there was a polis at the close saying go back to your house as there was a chimney hanging over the building waiting to fall, all i cculd think of was a day off skool, happy days :D

billy connolly cop yer whack lp
"please excuse jimmy for being off school yesterday as he had diahorrea through a hole in his balaclava" ::):
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:03 pm

We lived in the tenement above the Bank of Scotland at St Georges X back then and I remember the noise of the winds woke me up in the wee hours.

I looked down into St Georges Rd just in time to see a neighbours car, a Ford Zephyr's boot lid being ripped off by the force of the wind and flying through the air up St Georges Rd - all that was left were the hinges sticking up into the air and the boot contents being sucked out following the flight path of the boot lid.
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 pm

::): :)
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:23 pm

Met Office

Warnings: Strathclyde
12 Sep 2011, 00:00
Amber Alert of Wind

Valid From: 12 Sep 2011, 00:00
Valid To: 12 Sep 2011, 23:59
Issued at - 10 Sep 2011, 11:38

The remains of Hurricane Katia are expected to come across the UK on Monday bringing a spell of wet and very windy weather. There remains some uncertainty about its track and intensity, although Scotland and Northern Ireland are most likely to bear the brunt of the winds,

The public should be prepared for the risk of disruption to transport and of the possibility of damage to trees and structures.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:31 pm

better batten down the hatches then though it might not affect the east coast though
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:20 pm

'Amber Alert of Wind' Cue Doorstop btw.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)