Help! Where is this?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:24 pm

Anybody able to work out what direction we're looking in - I mean North, South, East, West or tints thereof? My two stalwarts about using shadows and moss growing on the north facing side of trees don't really work here. If we could figure this out I think it would narrow it down quite a bit.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:20 pm

And what's that sitting on the pavement in the foreground, on the right? Between the lamp post and the man.
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:45 pm

potatojunkie wrote:And what's that sitting on the pavement in the foreground, on the right? Between the lamp post and the man.

Rubbish?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:57 pm

If it's possibly been demolished....

Stobcross Street or Argyle Street, West of Anderston Cross ?
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:11 pm

Examining this further, I've noticed that none of the tenements appear to have bay windows which would suggest they were built pre 1880's when this fashion became prevelant so that could narrow down the search for those of us cross-referencing with old maps. However I should point out that it doesn't exclude building from being later in date as the poorest of the poor tenements still received this treatment, but after the 1890's, bay windows became the norm in tenement building.

Also, the tenement on the right is an example of piano nobile with the first floor windows receiving special treatment in the form of a moulded surround and entablature. Notice all the other tenements (bar the one on the left) have this window treatment on both the first and second floors, so thats another good one to look out for in old pics.

Anyone any ideas for a date for the pic?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:54 pm

Crusty is right given the windows and indeed the chimneys, the Tenements would generally pre date 1880's or would be very early 1880's.

I was showing the photo to my mother today.

She reckons that we are looking at Tenements that are long gone. In the demolition blitz of the late 1960's and early 1970's the pre 1880 Tenements were some of the first to go as they were the "single end" or "room and kitchen" type which were pretty small.

A lot of these Tenements with the front on Chimneys were also seen to be a risk due to their age. Literally dozens if not hundreds of these Chimneys were blown over in the 1968 gales causing major Roof damage.

That could throw areas like Plantation, Kinning Park and the Gorbals into the equation in terms of what we are looking at.

The photo to me looks as if it is from around 1970ish. But maybe someone who is more up on Cars would be able to date it better.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:17 pm

Someone suggested Stobcross St earlier. It could be looking west, with Anderston Cross just round the bend?
Mind you, it does look awfully like Cathcart Rd viewed south from the Prospecthill Rd junction.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby duck » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:48 pm

Vinny wrote
Mind you, it does look awfully like Cathcart Rd viewed south from the Prospecthill Rd junction.

That's what I thought Vinny and the more I look at it the more convinced I am. Trouble is I can't get to check being as where I am !!

Duck wrote
My first thought was somewhere like Cathcart Road?????????

How about the bottom of Prospecthill looking south????
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:10 pm

vinny wrote:Someone suggested Stobcross St earlier. It could be looking west, with Anderston Cross just round the bend?

Can't be Stobcross street as the picture is dated 70s at least and that area was gone by then.
I was up Cathcart Road yesterday and I can confirm it is a 100% no chance. Looking south from Prospecthill road, you have Clincart Rd going straight ahead while Cathcart road bends to the left. Going from the other end at Carmunock Road, you have a church on the right and the tenement blocks are different with towers and domes.
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:32 pm

Socceroo wrote:
A lot of these Tenements with the front on Chimneys were also seen to be a risk due to their age. Literally dozens if not hundreds of these Chimneys were blown over in the 1968 gales causing major Roof damage.

That struck me too. Hurricane LowQ blasted much of the central belt, in what from memory was January 1967. I was staying in Helensburgh at the time, which took a straight, undiluted battering, but I remember Glasgow losing a good proportion of its chimneys.

I would be inclined to date this image as mid sixties; 64-66. The only slight doubt is that there's something resembling a Vauxhall Victor (circa 1968) or a Cokebottle Cortina (circa 1970) just ahead of the yellow van.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:04 pm

duck wrote:Vinny wrote

That's what I thought Vinny and the more I look at it the more convinced I am. Trouble is I can't get to check being as where I am !!

Duck wrote
My first thought was somewhere like Cathcart Road?????????

How about the bottom of Prospecthill looking south????

As been said by others, it definitely isn't Cathcart Road.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:27 pm

I've scanned it at Hi-Res and removed the colour cast from the original but no other photoshoppery has been done.

And mega size can be found here *dial up warning* it's a couple of meg btw

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/3377 ... ef8f_o.jpg

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:44 pm

Well, that's my mind at rest, it's not Cathcart Road.
But another suggestion - what about Langlands Road in Govan down the Harmony Row area?

And what is that shop to the right of the Kraft van? Is it Tote Bookmakers??
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:51 pm

On the wall on the extreme right, it looks like there's a poster which says "vote" something... any ideas? It's probably "vote labour" or something, but if it was a name, that could anchor it in place.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:03 pm

Ally Doll wrote:On the wall on the extreme right, it looks like there's a poster which says "vote" something... any ideas? It's probably "vote labour" or something, but if it was a name, that could anchor it in place.

I'd be inclined to date it at 1974 since there were 2 general elections that year and the vehicles look early 70's. There are plenty of reflective yellow rear registration plates which came around 1972 replacing the white numbers on black old style.

It's certainly not much later than 1974 because by that time zigzag markings at zebra crossings had been introduced to the highway code.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)