Help! Where is this?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Help! Where is this?

Postby ElectricSprout » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:20 pm

I mind half the family spending hours staring at this photo on new years day last year. Kept them quiet for a lot longer than the daft puzzles out the leftover christmas crackers!

Like the rest of yous I was content that it had long been solved but I just noticed that in the aerial shot the zebra looks to be right at the edge of the junction, but in the mystery photo itself the zebra seems quite a way back from the the corner. But I guess you can't see the actual road of the side street in the aerial shot and there's no way of knowing how wide the side street's pavement was and that could make up the extra distance. So I guess I'll go back to being as satisfied that it's solved as I was a year ago based on all that compelling chimney evidence before I get pelters for casting doubt again!
"This might be a permissive society... but not in my house!"
ElectricSprout
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby weasler » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:37 pm

ElecticSprout,
I was thinking the exact same thing as yourself and dismissed it on the basis that the mystery had been solved,
and likewise myself and family had a great all time last xmas with this puzzle, and we were all glad to see that
it had indeed been resolved. Maybe someone can dispell the zebra crossing evidence and get this mystery resolved
once and for all? Absolutely loving this thread.

Weasler.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:56 pm

A shadow of doubt is cast down over the Chimney strewn Rooftops ......... ::):
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Heavy Pelican evidence doesn't quite have the same ring to it. And, appropriately, I think it's guano anyway.

The zebra in the arial photo looks pretty broad(at least the width of a shop front); the one in the street level doesn't. It looks as if part of the stripes have just worn away.

The lampost at the bottom right of the crossing in the arial photo is almost exactly at the corner of the street; so is the one in the Schiehallion's photo (where the '1' is). My guess is that when freshly painted the zebra extended this far.

Mind you, I thought it was Duke Street originally ::): .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby dimairt » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 pm

dimairt wrote:I have to say that while I still find the photo itself unconvincing, is there any salt for that humble pie?
I've just nipped down to have alook at the aerial collection here and am looking at an overhead shot of Maryhill Rd. taken on 13/04/72.
There is a gap site; there is a zebra crossing; there is street to the right ; there's lots of chimney pots - count them; there is a Garvie's van, only kidding about that last bit!
We're not allowed to copy this stuff but you can find it in the Glasgow Room, the ref. is 2070223. It's terrific picture by the way, lots of detail: Firhill, Queen's Cross, Dunard St. School; the canal etc.
The next time we get a toughie like this, I know where to go.

Le dùrachd,
Dimairt

I refer you my earlier post(above) and invite any doubters, named Thomas or otherwise, to visit the Glasgow Room and sneak a copy of 2070223.

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:26 am

Josef wrote:Heavy Pelican evidence doesn't quite have the same ring to it. And, appropriately, I think it's guano anyway.

The zebra in the arial photo looks pretty broad(at least the width of a shop front); the one in the street level doesn't. It looks as if part of the stripes have just worn away.

The lampost at the bottom right of the crossing in the arial photo is almost exactly at the corner of the street; so is the one in the Schiehallion's photo (where the '1' is). My guess is that when freshly painted the zebra extended this far.

Mind you, I thought it was Duke Street originally ::): .

If you count the number of lines on the zebra crossings you will see there is more on one than the other, suggesting it was repainted with more lines or, dare I say it, its not the same zebra crossing. Why would they put in more lines? Is it a street that is perhaps wider than Maryhill Road. The debate continues!
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 am

The debate continues!
No it Doesn't. The Schism starts here. And the Cathcart malakites can chuck it now.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:09 am

Well, I'm 99.9% convinced by the Maryhill Road hypothesis. My only niggling discrepancy in the chimney pot evidence is the one by number 2 in the pictures - the tall black pot seems to be on opposite sides of the stack in each picture?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Anorak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Was looking through old photos and came across this one from a few years back.
I’m always snapping buildings with a bit of the unusual about them, but haven’t a clue where I spotted this strange mixture of old and new.

Obviously not one of my usual haunts!
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:13 pm

CCA, Anorak.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:05 pm

Cheers Josef, I would never have worked that out. The CCA wasn't even on my list of places I suspected it might have been.

I'll need to pay another visit to CCA with my camera. Like a lot of Glasgow's galleries, the venues are sometimes more interesting than many (or any) of the exhibits!
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby angee22 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Smartalex wrote:Here's another Old Slide Macro I've Done But haven't any Idea of the Location, It is definitely in Glasgow But Where:-
Prize to the one who can match it with a recent photo. :wink:

Think it is Victoria Road or Cathcart Road.
angee22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:21 am

It looks a lot like Gorgie Road in Edinburgh.

Kidding.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:02 am

angee22 wrote:Think it is Victoria Road or Cathcart Road.

Are you related to Socceroo, by any chance? ::):
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:46 am

We are now reverting :cry: . It's not Duke Street and we already covered this. The street layout is all wrong and in particular there never were tenements of the sort shown in the right hand corner of the image that were located at that corner of Bellgrove/Duke Street.

I have stood back and watched this thread with pure morbid fascination :) . I conclude that just like there are some souls who fervently believe against all rational thought and material evidence, that there is such a thing as ‘Intelligent Design’ – there are those who believe that the scene is Cathcart Road (or Duke Street or Dumbarton Road) and not Maryhill Road. We must strive to acknowledge and respect that these folks are caring, sentient and valued members of our community… it's just that they are just wrong and rather oddly fixated on this one thing :wink: .

Like with the Intelligent Designers, it’s pointless us putting up further evidence. This only convinces them all the more that it is we are in error, nay, are in a state of sin! In order to preserve our own sanity, it may help just to reel off some of the actual testimony and evidence establishing that it is Maryhill Road:

- Dimairt’s friend the revered Maryhill expert David Warrilow testimony, in particular his telling remark:

"Where else would it be," he responded right away, "but the Maryhill Rd? There's the Castle Vaults on the corner. It's the Strathmore now.""

- DVB’s raging mum’s testimony

- Heavy chimney stuff, courtesy of Schiehallion et al

- The streetscape tracing, plotting and listing of Robert Pool (even though this evidence may have been inadvertent)

- Mcshad on the Cathcart Road photo (like mcshad I too actually went at looked at the location):

“It's just wrong WRONG WRONG!!! It is not Cathcart Road @ MountFlorida as I went there in person when this first started. The tenement blocks are totally different.”

- Dimairt’s dad’s testimony (so that’s dimairt sorted)

- The venerable ‘visitor’ from Glesga Pals testimony (confirming it as Maryhill Road):

By the way I know that area very well, great to see the bus stop (or used tae be) that I used tae use for going hame for my lunch. Anything that you want tae knowabout that area I will try and assist you. Yes it was the HLI, I see that Arthurs the butcher is still there, further down on the right was a great bakery called the Thistle bakery where they did the best tattie scones and rolls. My mate lived round the corner there in Agnes street.

- Red Kola’s cross-checking of the OS map posted by bullit111 and that provided that Holy Grail of marketeers – triangulated evidence!:

Gap site at point of "Vote" poster: Check

Gap site at point just beyond derelict building as pointed out by James: Check

Boundary Wall protruding further into the road than the tenements on the north side: Check

Any remaining doubters?

Finally in all modesty :wink: I ask folks to go back to my own contribution based on actually having grown up and having almost daily made my way along this part of Maryhill Road – and you can even walk the walk, it’s still possible… you will see it works!:

I can recall walking in the mornings through that part of Maryhill Road and into Braeside Street and in turn into to Stair Street on my way to St Charles primary. (Stair Street I believe is the only street in Glasgow comprising entirely and solely of stairs). The tenements and shops were generally, even to a wee boy’s mind, definitely run-down and in line with what the image shows.

The curved tenement of the left of the image also stands out in my memory. It stood on its own, and was either one, or at most two closes. It was, even then, a particularly poor, run down block, with residents that we found scary. I suspect that it was one of those cheap speculative build tenements levered into the rather constrained site left over from the adjacent canal construction, with cheap accommodation for poorer working class people.

Another little indicator – the zebra crossing was there because of the kids crossing a busy Maryhill Road to get into Braeside Street and on to either St Charles or the rear entrance to Dunard Street primary. There was another zebra crossing for the same kind of reason further down Maryhill Road at Queens Cross.

Yes, all-in-all I would put some of Crusty’s money on it that this is Maryhill Road at Braeside Street.

Now I’m gonna lie down in a quite darkened room and then leave this thread alone again for a few months
:roll:
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)