Help! Where is this?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby John » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Alex - Don't you think the solution of this deserves a special drinks night?
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Armadillo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:12 pm

This is my not-very-classic effort since I was in too much of a hurry this morning, and also foxed by the unseasonal brightness. I did have a wee turn when I got up there, however, and had a good look at the Strathmore bar, until I realised that it isn't the pub in the original picture (beside the zebra crossing), but the remains of the block on the corner beyond the turning car (Triumph?), which doesn't look as if it was a pub at that time.

So, if you take the Strathmore as the one remaining point of reference, the car was turning where that low railing is, and the zebra crossing would have been roughly where the litter bin is.

The punters up at Maryhill Road must have been wondering what the feck was going on with all the photographers this morning.......
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Here's one I took about a month ago and forgot to share :oops:

Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Just as a postscript maybe I can offer what is an early childhood recollection to help positively confirm the locus of this image.

I agree with the evidence and hunches that the image is of Maryhill Road just nearby Braeside Street. But again I’m emphasising that I’m going from childhood recollection. I can recall walking in the mornings through that part of Maryhill Road and into Braeside Street and in turn into to Stair Street on my way to St Charles primary. (Stair Street I believe is the only street in Glasgow comprising entirely and solely of stairs). The tenements and shops were generally, even to a wee boy’s mind, definitely run-down and in line with what the image shows.

The curved tenement of the left of the image also stands out in my memory. It stood on its own, and was either one, or at most two closes. It was, even then, a particularly poor, run down block, with residents that we found scary. I suspect that it was one of those cheap speculative build tenements levered into the rather constrained site left over from the adjacent canal construction, with cheap accommodation for poorer working class people.

Another little indicator – the zebra crossing was there because of the kids crossing a busy Maryhill Road to get into Braeside Street and on to either St Charles or the rear entrance to Dunard Street primary. There was another zebra crossing for the same kind of reason further down Maryhill Road at Queens Cross.

Yes, all-in-all I would put some of Crusty’s money on it that this is Maryhill Road at Braeside Street.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:21 pm

I have never heard of stair st or seen it, possibly cos I am always in the car if in that area. Is it still there ?? Could I find it today and how. I think I want to take the wee yins to see it, they would be tickled with a street made of stairs. psHave tried streetmap - not there
Last edited by elgee on Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 pm

JohnR wrote:Alex - Don't you think the solution of this deserves a special drinks night?

Good idea John, and if we all look at the now pictures, we see a pub, i think we all go there and drink to the old picture

*cheers*
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:26 pm

elgee wrote:I have never heard of stair st or seen it, possibly cos I am always in the car if in that area. Is it still there ?? Could I find it today and how. I think I want to take the wee yins to see it, they would be tickled with a street made of stairs.

Its still there and on one of James' pics.

It can get quite busy on a Saturday afternoon as its a favourite route between Firhill and QM Drive.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:03 pm

Elgee so far as I know its still there although it doesn't always show up on street map - mainly cos it's too small. If you come off Maryhill Road and go into Braeside Street it's almost immediately on your right.

It was a wonderful area of imagination for us kids on our way to the imagination extraction facility... err, sorry I mean school.

If you walk up the stairs, as you come out there is another wee fable to tell the kids, but I'll PM this to you (I'm a bit brassed off these days about cheapskate journalists that cherry pick such stories from forums and print them up without as much as a reference or acknowkledgement of sources).
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:21 pm

I can confirm its still there I walked past it today on my way back through to the west end I guess its two streets up from Queens Cross or two streets down from 'The photo' there is a large sandstone school 100 yards up the street,Is this the one you mention escotregen?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Cumbo yes that's the one I have in mind.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:25 pm

That's Dunard St school which I have fond memories of because I attended it from 1952 to 1957.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:55 pm

Actually.....I'm now going to correct myself, with regard to the Strathmore, which I now think would have been out of shot to the right of the picture. The corner where the car is turning is one block further on, where the fire station now is. So James73's pic on the Past Present thread is probably the nearest posted so far, but it actually needs to be slightly further on, probably around the traffic lights. The other confusing element is that the modern flats are not on the site of the tenement, but on the site of the cottages - the tenement would have been the gap beyond that, where the bridge now goes across the canal to Murano Street.
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:00 pm

On further reflection - Cumbo's pic is pretty near the spot.

I think I'll go to bed now.....
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:03 pm

Excellent work guys. I'm stunned that my head wasn't in gear; I worked up and down that sectrion of Maryhill Rd for 12 years and thought I knew the area well! But too late - in the 80s and 90s!
At least I'm happy that I DID spot it as a Garvies Truck! :)
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:14 am

I'm gonna miss this thread now it's been solved I've enjoyed all the twists and turns in the 40 odd pages.

One of the best off thread quotes regarding the outcome I heard today was in a PM from Schiehallion when he used the classic term
'Heavy chimney evidence'

hope you don't mind me using mate it as it was to good a quote not to share

Superb stuff all round folks well done ::): 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)