Still bloody raining...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Still bloody raining...

Postby nodrog » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:29 pm

Here's a then and now with a difference - yesterday morning and this morning at Kelvinbridge...

Nodrog

Yesterday:

Today:

Yesterday:

Today:

Yesterday:

Today:
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Tomorrow's photos could be interesting if this weather keeps up..
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:32 pm

Just to the right of the last 2 pictures is a depth measurement stick?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:13 pm

Great photos!

Last time this happened at Kelvinbridge the river overflowed the retaining wall on its Eastern side and poured through the old Stobcross tunnel, drowning the Argyle Line. They put up a berm at the tunnel mouth, but last time I was by there it had become quite flattened - hope they're quick off the mark this time to pile more earth on top.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:17 pm

I'm building a big boat.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:27 pm

Even GU Library has suffered from the rain - the tower with the lifts has been closed because of rain.

Interested pics nodrog, haven't been down at that part of the Kelvin since the rain started, but at QM Bridge it's pretty high and fast flowing. Hopefully won't flood like 1994!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Send some down here - we've got a drought to alleviate !
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:41 pm

gettin beyond a joke now, ruined my best trainers today, thought a pothole was just a wee puddle and i dissapeared away into it :evil:
those pics of the kelvin are quite worrying, is it possible that the central low level could flood again?
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alibali b » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:19 pm

I think ive got web feet they are always wet were is the cold frosty weather? Had to buy wellies rather snazzy pink ones from asda. Falkirk and Stirling badly flooded back roads bad
alibali b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ibtg » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:12 am

Our garage got flooded on Sunday night/Monday morning. Late on, we heard a noise outside and opened the front door to see a torrent of water flow by like a river. We had been badly flooded in 1995, when there was a cloudburst one July and all the road drains were blocked. :x

Guess what - the drains were blocked again... There is a big drain at our driveway, but this drain has to cope with the water which flows down from way up the street. We keep the drain clear of leaves etc (because the council doesn't). Our house and garden are lower than the level of the road.

We live near 2 schools and, with the leaves from further up and the debris of half-eaten lunches and their containers, not to mentiion the empty plastic bottles and drinks cans, this drain soon gets blocked again. Unfortunately, we failed to notice this time, until the garage and its contents and the storage area behind the garage, were under 6 inches of water.

We called the Fire Brigade, who were obviously very busy because of the situation, because we feared that the water would reach the electrics, but they said they could not do anything until the rain stopped(!?!)

We sandbagged the gates as best we could and opened the drain in the garden and set to clearing the drain in the street with sticks and shovels (in our nightclothes and welly boots!) Finally, the water subsided at about 1 a.m. We had, at least this time, saved the house. Last time there was 3-4 feet of water all around the garden and under the house.

Another insurance claim courtesy of the Council, which takes the tax, but does little in return..... Next day, the little clean machine came and cleared up the debris we had piled in the middle of the road. Thanks......... :x
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:49 am

Mark N wrote:Send some down here - we've got a drought to alleviate !

I need to pressure wash my doorsteps. Will probably do it next week when I'm off. And await the curtains twitching and the auld biddies moaning aboot a drought and hosepipe ban.
Garden of England my arse. More likely concrete carpark, what with Kent's finest turning the M20 into a lorry park when our beloved neighbours pull up the drawbridge. :P
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:55 pm

Its like a scence from The Illustrated Man .The Long Rain. We will all end up going bonkers. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:21 pm

motman wrote:Garden of England my arse. More likely concrete carpark, what with Kent's finest turning the M20 into a lorry park when our beloved neighbours pull up the drawbridge. :P

Think yourself lucky you're not in Chatham. If Kent is the Garden of England, Chatham is the steaming compost heap at the back fence.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:32 pm

Send some of it down here to Oz...we haven't seen much rain lately.
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pwh60_2 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:05 am

To be fair, I think this flooding caught everyone on the hop. Looks like it's going to be a regular feature. Knightswood was always a bloody wet place, but now - ouch!
Wednesday evening - driving to Ferguslie from Kelso Street - thought the water was going to reach window level - just passing St Brendan's, looked left over towards Brownside (?) Drive - sh*t myself - waves coming at me.
Over at Ferguslie, beside the Tannahill Centre, more of the same. Road down to St James well flooded, even Jeeps turning back. And on the motorway - hitting even 2 feet of water at 50mph is no joke!
Pigged off that I didn't have a camera with me!
Pete
pwh60, pwh60UK
pwh60_2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)