Clyde Seaplanes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:22 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:45 pm

I wonder if you can goad the Yoker neds at the side of the river the way you can on the Waverley.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:00 pm

Goody goody :wink: TWO things to try next time ah'm up the road - go on a wee plane to Oban and go up John Brown's crane. Much better than just visiting my dad in Linthouse.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:07 pm

£150 Oban return. I now know what I want for xmas.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Sunflower » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:09 pm

So there I was scurrying along the riverside by the SECC about 2pm today, and this appeared from behind the Science Centre:

(Funny how you don't usually notice all that crud along the river)

- and pootled off down the river -
(I know it looks as if it was struggling against a sudden tilting of the earth, but that was just me getting over-excited)

- hot on the heels of the Braehead boat -

Anyone know where it actually takes off? It disappeared round the bend downstream of Glasgow Harbour without unsticking, I was sooooooo disappointed :(
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:20 pm

JohnR wrote:£150 Oban return. I now know what I want for xmas.

JohnR no joking thats cheap. I did a return journey with a package when i drove a taxi. £180 in my pocket. Thats a normal price as well.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Clyde Seaplanes

Postby Mori » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:19 pm

BD online

Nicholas Crawford’s seaplane terminal and hotel at the junction of the Broomielaw embankment and the Jamaica Street bridges over the River Clyde stands out for its combination of appropriateness of scale and design panache.

Nicholas Crawford’s seaplane terminal and hotel on the River Clyde.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:59 am

Mori wrote:BD online

Nicholas Crawford’s seaplane terminal and hotel at the junction of the Broomielaw embankment and the Jamaica Street bridges over the River Clyde stands out for its combination of appropriateness of scale and design panache.

Nicholas Crawford’s seaplane terminal and hotel on the River Clyde.

Is that seriously going to be built? That's awesome!
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:54 am

I'd never heard of those Ekranoplans before. Guess they must have slipped under my radar. I think it might be a bit cumbersome for cruising down the Clyde. Perhaps something a little more nimble might be in order:

Convair Sea Dart >>

I want a go in one of those seaplanes too:

Sunflower wrote:Anyone know where it actually takes off? It disappeared round the bend downstream of Glasgow Harbour without unsticking, I was sooooooo disappointed :(

I watched one taking off at Loch Lomond and they need a long run, so I guess they go out as far as Dumbarton before taking off.

Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:40 am

I treated myself to a day trip from the SECC to Oban & back last year; they take off (and land on the return leg) at Braehead.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alzaman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:37 am

Mark N wrote:I treated myself to a day trip from the SECC to Oban & back last year; they take off (and land on the return leg) at Braehead.

Crikey .. that's even closer to the Glasgow Airport flight paths. Can't be too much of a hassle because they have Helicoppers, and Copters, flying out from the Clyde Heliport as well.

I was on West George St a few weeks ago, and heard a roar of a seaplane banking towards the Clyde on final approach i guess.
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby br-cmr » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:55 am

Sunflower wrote:Anyone know where it actually takes off? It disappeared round the bend downstream of Glasgow Harbour without unsticking, I was sooooooo disappointed :(

I've spent some time working in that area recently (the Celtic Music Radio transmitter is at Shieldhall), and the seaplane taking off is a regular distraction. The first time we were there, we noticed a wee boat zig-zagging down the river. Not sure whether it was scaring the seagulls or looking for floating debris. A minute later, the seaplane took off.

It generally "taxis" downriver until it gets to roughly the Clyde Tunnel. Opens up its engines there, passes our transmitter site, and will be in the air by the time it reaches Braehead.
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stevoknevo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:13 pm

I have seen the plane on many occasions and in many locations on the west coast, most recent was Monday as it came into land, viewed from my sisters flat in Anderston. Gotta say it looked pretty cool coming in over the Kingston Bridge 8)

But it also has its limitations as this story outlines, which is a pity as the weather can be very changeable on the west coast http://www.argyllshireadvertiser.co.uk/ ... _Gilp.html

Would still love to go on it though :D
stevoknevo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby alzaman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Would be great if someone developed missions for MS FS-X involving that sea plane. It would save me having to pretend there's a seaport when i land in the Clyde ::):
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)