Owning, & running, a car in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Owning, & running, a car in Glasgow

Postby glasgowken » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:46 pm

Do you think it's a bad idea to own a car within Glasgow ?

I'm getting more & more pissed off with public transport, especially at night, so was thinking of getting a wee car, nothing fancy, just a small engine jobby.
If I lived in London (not that I would EVER live in London) I wouldn't even consider this, do you reckon GCC will go the same way with anti car policies ?

I'd especially like Alex's input on this question.

And a 2nd part, purely for the car owners here, how much does it cost you to run a car in Glasgow, and do you find it easy ? Would you ever go back to public transport ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Owning, & running, a car in Glasgow

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:06 pm

glasgowken wrote:Do you think it's a bad idea to own a car within Glasgow ?

I'm getting more & more pissed off with public transport, especially at night, so was thinking of getting a wee car, nothing fancy, just a small engine jobby.
If I lived in London (not that I would EVER live in London) I wouldn't even consider this, do you reckon GCC will go the same way with anti car policies ?

I'd especially like Alex's input on this question.

And a 2nd part, purely for the car owners here, how much does it cost you to run a car in Glasgow, and do you find it easy ? Would you ever go back to public transport ?

I was thinking the same thing recently. I get the bus to work but, to be honest, if you're relying on public transport to get about in the evenings or when you're trying to get your shopping in it's a bloody nightmare. Buses near us are almost non-existant in the evenings.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:21 pm

I run a car and it is expensive. I avoid using it to go into the city centre as much as possible as it is such a pain finding somewhere to park and you are generally quicker by bus/train. I also like the down time I get on the bus to look out of the window. My wife does use the car a lot for local trips; we have a 3 year old son so the car really does make life easier in that respect.

If I add up how much I pay in car loan repayments, petrol, road tax, car park charges etc I reckon that I could have a big white stretch limo on 24 hour call to take me to Asda, visit mum etc and still be up on the deal.

W
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:32 pm

I've got a car, and it's ok. I can usually get parked near my flat, unless I come home early and the street's still full of subway unofficial park'n'riders :evil:

I work in Paisley, so find it handier to take the car thru the tunnel every day than waste my time sitting on a bus. My folks live in Carluke, Wishaw and Motherwell so I find it quicker and more convenient to get to them by car as well. I usually use the subway to get into town (cheaper and quicker, unless it's Sunday), and I use the train quite often too.

My stress levels rocket whenever I'm stuck in traffic jams though, especially when idiots zoom up the side of me and try to cut in :evil: :evil: :evil: And taxi drivers!!! Don't get me started...

So - handy, but only if you think you'll use it often.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:08 pm

I'm much the same as Ally Doll, I stay in Partick and work in Hillington.
It's a planes, tranes and automobiles job by public transport or 10 mins in the car.

I drive a small car ( Citroen Saxo ), and find the running costs to be well worth it especially as i rarely use it for anything other than work. The cost is offset against the cost i would have to pay for public transport.
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:22 pm

I live in Yoker, work in Bellshill. I travel by train and walk to and from the stations at each end, door to door journey time approx 1Hr each way for the princely sum of £75 ish a month.

Compare that with at least £40 a week, + taxing, insuring and maintaining a car oh and sitting stuck in that great car park aka the M8.

I know what i prefer - public transport all the time - only downside is I often find myself getting off a train in town and making my way to a favourite purveyor of alcohol and spending a few hours sinking pints of the amber nectar.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:08 pm

yoker brian wrote:I live in Yoker, work in Bellshill. I travel by train and walk to and from the stations at each end, door to door journey time approx 1Hr each way for the princely sum of £75 ish a month.

Compare that with at least £40 a week, + taxing, insuring and maintaining a car oh and sitting stuck in that great car park aka the M8.

I know what i prefer - public transport all the time - only downside is I often find myself getting off a train in town and making my way to a favourite purveyor of alcohol and spending a few hours sinking pints of the amber nectar.

And why is the sinking of amber nectar a downside?
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby yoker brian » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:16 pm

walbass wrote:And why is the sinking of amber nectar a downside?

The act of sinking the amber nectar isn't a downside in itself, it's my evil mates who know how easily led I am "Go on Brian you can't go home, you've only had a couple of pints......you've got ages yet before the last train"
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:18 pm

World on two wheels

get a moped
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:21 pm

£75 a month seems a lot, i'm sure I could run a car on that.

For me I don't think the running costs would be that high, a cash amount for an old banger, so no shitty loan repayments. Road tax paid in one go. Then £30 a month for insurance, the rest is just petrol costs, on a wee car, with around 40mpg, that shouldn't be a lot.

Have I missed anything ? Parking costs might be high, but I don't plan to use it in the city centre a lot. How much are parking costs btw ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:23 pm

glasgowken wrote:£75 a month seems a lot, i'm sure I could run a car on that.

For me I don't think the running costs would be that high, a cash amount for an old banger, so no shitty loan repayments. Road tax paid in one go. Then £30 a month for insurance, the rest is just petrol costs, on a wee car, with around 40mpg, that shouldn't be a lot.

Have I missed anything ? Parking costs might be high, but I don't plan to use it in the city centre a lot. How much are parking costs btw ?

A resident parking permit for most areas of the west end is £50 per year. Hillhead, I think, is higher.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Parking is free for motorbikes and scooters ;)
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:26 pm

A wee car is handy for nipping out to Asda or shooting about the south side taking past present pics. I use public transport for work but it's handy to have the wee heap of shite for jumping around the football or whatever. Driving into town in the morning is just stress, better with a wee read at the Metro.

This'll give you an idea about cost and consumption.

I've got a wee 1.2 Clio and it takes what, about £38 to fill up the tank I think.

Anyway if I only use the car for suburban, rural, motorway type stuff averaging 50-80 mph then I'll get 100 miles to a quarter of a tank which equates to £9.50 per 100 miles.

If I only use it to commute from the south side into town I get about 45 miles to a quarter tank, in other words, £21 per 100 miles.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:39 pm

onyirtodd wrote:A resident parking permit for most areas of the west end is £50 per year. Hillhead, I think, is higher.

Most areas of the West End don't have parking restrictions (unless you are an estate agent :wink:).
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Sorry McShad got to be 4 wheels :-) I'd actually like a Bedford Rascal van.

Those figures don't seem too bad, even a Zonecard is almost £18 a week. Add to that the times when I can't be arsed waiting on a bus and get a cab (especially at night) then the car is looking better all the time.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)