Glasgow's seven zebra crossings

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sunflower » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:50 pm

Apollo wrote:Although the crossing question is interesting, how does it get classed under the heading of 'Freedom of Information'?

A while back I wrote to the council with a question about the notices stuck to all the lampposts round here ('No dumping, Monitored site, Maximum fine £20,000') - asking what they mean by monitored, and how many people had been fined and how much. I was angling to embarass the relevant department/people into writing back that the notices mean nothing and no-one gets fined, and then maybe (eventually) at least putting it on the list of things to do something about. (If only take the ***** notices down since they're a total joke).

I did get a reply - but it started by saying my letter had been treated as a request under the Freedom of Information Act, which was a surprise since I hadn't thought it would be a state secret. It came from some bunch specially dedicated to answering questions and if it ever got anywhere near the relevant people they clearly just punted it straight on to the data-miners in the cellar.

So it looks as though they've set up a special group to answer anything that gets asked, which means they'll be able to say it's costing £x0000000 to provide info so they're going to have to charge - when in the past most questions would have been handled by the department with the info, and no cost would have been attached.

Or maybe I've just got a nasty cynical suspicious mind?

Back to the zebras - I was amazed there are so few, then realised I couldn't think of any. I think it's a shame - very bad for drivers' reflexes - you have to have your wits about you much more when people are likely to step out in front of you expecting you to stop. I got a very nasty look (and some kind of hand gesture) from some poor woman in London once - they had their foot on the crossing and I just hadn't been concentrating at that level of detail and went whizzing past. And interesting that there's been stuff in the press recently about the Dutch (?) town where they've taken out lights and crossings and stuff and let drivers and cyclists and pedestrians all look out for themselves, and things are flowing much better for everyone.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:03 pm

It's not cynical at all, as anyone that's been on any sort of management course/training will tell you. It's probably pretty close to the mark as well, with a sufficient level of 'Plausible Deniability'.

On the Zebra's, I'd have said they were largely ripped out and replaced by the various versions of Pedestrian Controlled Crossings. Again, driven by liability fears, since Zebra crossing need co-operation by BOTH parties, but controlled crossings instruct both pedestrian AND driver when to halt or proceed. I'm sure Sue4U4Free love them :)

Having spent a long time driving in London, your pedestrian was probably waving in thanks since you didn't do as the locals do, and head straight for them (to scare 'em back onto the pavement) if they dare to put a foot on the road - driving there is insane compared to Glasgow.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:05 pm

Sunflower wrote:And interesting that there's been stuff in the press recently about the Dutch (?) town where they've taken out lights and crossings and stuff and let drivers and cyclists and pedestrians all look out for themselves, and things are flowing much better for everyone.

8O
anyone have more info?
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:10 pm

Drachten, a small Dutch city with around 50,000 residents has removed almost all of its traffic lights. Major intersections have been converted to roundabouts, smaller intersections just let drivers work make decisions on their own. Basically, it's anarchy. Anarchy that has completely eliminated dangerous crashes and road fatalities and created a surge in bicycle and pedestrian traffic.

More at
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/11 ... lights.php
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:00 pm

Think there might be one on Mosspark Boulivard near Belahouston Drive :?:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:08 pm

Why the heck would someone want to know how many there were in the first place? :?
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:34 pm

weasler wrote:I am sure there is still one outside the Govan town hall, Govan road.

That one's gone weasler, i noticed tonight driving home... replaced by pedestrian crossing, it was there up until they religned that road with the new roundabout joining with Whitefield & Summertown rd.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weasler » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:23 pm

Cheers Mori, I was only a couple of years out ehh.

To Summarise, we have so far confirmed with photographic evidence that we have 6 Zebra crossings and 7 that we need evidence for. Please also note that some of the google evidence could be out of date, so if members could also confirm they are still in existance this would be of help.
CONFIRMED:
1. Kelvin Hall
2. 3. and 4. Linthouse roundabout
5. Duke St
6. Carntyne Rd (5 and 6 defo count as two seperate zebra crossings.)

NOT YET CONFIRMED:
1. Buchanon St adjoining Swinton Rd
2. Alison st
3. and 4. Shawbridge street
5. Mosspark Boulavard
6. Sirska St
7. Fara St

Cheers Weasler.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:03 pm

Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:51 am

1. Buchanon St adjoining Swinton Rd

I'll head along there today and see if its still there, i'd imagine it will be as it was only added a year or two ago
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:48 am

It's still there, got a couple of photos, will upload this evening
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weasler » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:57 am

CONFIRMED:
1. Kelvin Hall
2. 3. and 4. Linthouse roundabout
5. Duke St
6. Carntyne Rd (5 and 6 defo count as two seperate zebra crossings.)
7. Sirska St
8. Buchanon St

NOT YET CONFIRMED:
1. Alison st
2. and 3. Shawbridge street
4. Mosspark Boulavard

Well done guys we have evidence that the FOI people are wrong.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Alison Street - From Google Earth

Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:23 pm

weasler wrote:Well done guys we have evidence that the FOI people are wrong.

and it didn't cost us a penny ::):
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby little lane » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:31 pm

cheesemonster wrote:and it didn't cost us a penny::

Probably quicker too!
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)