West coast Naval defences

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:57 pm

You knew I would jump in on this one, not off the southern tip of Bute either 8O

Even with its own web site, poor old Inchmarnock gets lost. Its own site doesn't even have a location map!

http://www.inchmarnock.com

It's a stone's throw off the west coast of Bute:

http://www.visitbute.com/index.php?opti ... view&id=29
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:29 pm

Apollo:

Is this elusive island off the north west coast of Bute? Nope.
Is this elusive island off the central west coast of Bute? Nope.
Is this elusive island off the south coast of Bute? Mmmmm...

Let's compromise at, off approximately, the south coast of Bute.

cheers, dugald
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: West coast Naval defences

Postby JOE-CANNING » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 pm

HI DUGALD,
Iread with great interest the item concerning your bike ride and your stopping just south of Inveraray in 1946.
It was of particular interest to me because you mentioned that,when you spoke to the 2 ex-wrens that ran the tea house,they mentioned that a Wren had been murdered in Inveraray and her killer was never found. I can tell you that it is indeed a fact.The lady in question was actually my late aunt Gertrude.Gertrude Canning was 20 yrs old,Irish,AND from Ballindrait,Lifford,Co.Donegal.She was serving at HMS.QUEBEC and billeted at Admirality House,now the Loch Fyne Hotel.While returning from Inveraray post office to duty ,she was shot 4 times and her body discovered 4 days later.Despite a nationwide hunt and the ballistic testing of thousands of .38 Webley pistols,her killer was never found.One theory suggests the killer may have perished on the disastrous and failed raid on Dieppe.As you know the camps on Loch fyne inveraray was the centre of the covert operations that trained men in landing craft techniques.You mentioned a Jess Sandeman was writing a book about her experiences as a wren in Inveraray in the war.She did indeed finish her book,it was call "BUTE'S WAR.Sadly,I beleive this lady died in 2009 but
has left behind a wealth of memories.I wonder if any others might recall that little tea shop and put a name to the Wrens that ran it,perhaps they served with my late aunt Gerty.Anyhow,thank you for refreshing the memory.Good luck ,Joe Canning.
JOE-CANNING
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: West coast Naval defences

Postby Jockissimo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Loch Fyne has Always been a favourite retreat for boaters, hutters, cyclists and Doon the waterers in general from glasgow. South of st catherines there is/was a incognito periscope testing building with bouyofs with markers at least there into 1992. judging by the type it could date from wwII? .
South of otter ferry the loch is deep with few anchorages and not enough to gather a convoy. Better for submarine training for attacks on Nazi cruisers up the fjords in Norway. Wonder if it was used ? Heard loch striven and loch long were used for sub training in WWII
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)