Filmed In Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Filmed In Glasgow

Postby kirkyguy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:18 pm

This site has brung back some amazing memories for me,it has made me go and dig out my video of That Sinking Feeling, it has got some old great sites and sounds of Glasgow in the seventies, if any one hasnt seen it a shame..
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:52 pm

A great film, almost as good as Gregory's Girl. My copy of the film is an old ex-rental video copy which for some reason appears to have been re-dubbed. Badly....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:55 pm

You might also enjoy Peter Mullens black comedy "Orphans" filmed here in Glasgow , Euan Mcgregors new movie "Young Adam" was flimed on mostly the forth and clyde canal and clyde and is pretty good too.
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:56 pm

Orphans is a great film... highly recommended!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Kirsty » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:05 pm

My copy of the sinking feeling has really old adverts for robinsons jam and stuff in the commercial breaks. i think my dad recorded it in about 1986!!!

Brilliant Film.

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:11 pm

Didn't "That Sinking Feeling" get a DVD release recently? I want to try and get good copies of both this and "Gregory's Girl". Oh, and "Comfort and Joy". That's another good un....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:08 am

I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but has anyone seen that 1980 film Deathwatch, starring Harvey Keitel. It was filmed in Glasgow.
dazza
-
-

Films

Postby skintobalinto » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:26 am

What about Restless Natives (the clown and the wolf - early 80's), Filmed in Glasgow and possibly Edinburgh. I remember part of it where they are running through the old Anderson Center. I also remember part of the film involved the two characters escaping on a motorbike after a coach hold up then scattering the proceeds from their swag bag on the road behind them, I think it was filmed on Boydstone Road, Carnwadric the local shopkeepers were inundated for weeks with phoney notes I was at a local school and I remember seeing sone of the loot.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:54 am

dazzababes wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but has anyone seen that 1980 film Deathwatch, starring Harvey Keitel. It was filmed in Glasgow.

Not seen it, but it was made by very highly regarded French director Bertrand Tavernier in 1980. It's also known by the title "La mort en direct" It is available on DVD. (27,75 E from fnac.com)

Director Bertrand Tavernier provides an unexpected feminist slant to the otherwise standard sci-fi trappings of Death Watch. Harvey Keitel plays a man of the future who has had a camera implanted in his brain. The mechanism, which is endowed with special X-ray properties, is activated by the user's eyes. Keitel is assigned by ruthless TV producer Harry Dean Stanton to secretly probe the subconscious of a dying woman, played by Romy Schneider. Stanton is only interested in the grim spectacle of what goes on inside the brain of someone who knows she's doomed. Keitel, on the other hand, becomes increasingly compassionate--and disgusted by the tawdriness of his assignment--as he stares into Schneider's tortured psyche. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Interesting story BTW - apparently when the director was being entertained by some of the cooncil high heidyins during the filming (or possibly before) when they asked him why he was filming in Scotland, which was then a pretty unusual thing. He answered about how beautiful, pretty and scenic Edinburgh was, much to the chagrin of the Glasow city faithers. "But Glasgow", he added, "is so dramatic"

Couldn't agree more.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Films

Postby Fossil » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:59 am

skintobalinto wrote:What about Restless Natives (the clown and the wolf - early 80's), Filmed in Glasgow and possibly Edinburgh........................ loot.

You might be interrested this is on the other forums

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=280&start=10

fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby cumbo » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:52 pm

Catch another great Mullen film set in Glasgow but not as well known
still worth a look "My name is Joe". very black and bit heavy.
not sure what areas it was shot in?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:05 pm

Deathwatch is a brilliant film. I've seen it three or four times. It was filmed in Glasgow in 1979. As always, directors take liberties with actual city locations, so when Romy Schneider goes for a meeting with the creep from the TV company, she enters the city chambers, but when she storms out the meeting, she exits from Kelvingrove museum. No matter, a slim (!!!!!) Robbie Coltrane is waiting to chauffeur her home. There is a brilliant tracking shot that follows her as she walks round Crown Circus. Out on DVD, you say ...

Carla's song was the first of three Ken Loach/ Paul Laverty films set in the west of Scotland. My Name is Joe is the Second, and the third was filmed two years ago in Greenock (I forget the name). First one is set in Glasgow and Nicaragua, second is set in north Glasgow.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

MAKRO

Postby ping » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:28 pm

Deathwatch featured some scenes shot in Makro in Hillington if I remember rightly. Kietel is a bit of a Glasgow fav as he was also in Down Where the Buffalo Roam which was shot in the city and doon the water.

Small Faces features the old (sniff, sniff ) granary building.

Regeneration was shot in an old castle near Dumbarton.

Can't seem to remember anything about the Charlie Sheen film Postmortem................... :?
ping
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Kirsty » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:02 am

Ohhh I forgot about small faces. There was a bit of that filmed just at sighthill. They had a big bit of graffitti scrawled saying "Welcome to Tongland" that really confused the springburn peg!

Rumour has it that they had loads of problems finding locations to film small faces because it was set in the sixties and most of the housing estates had too many satelitte dishes. I have spelt that wrong haven't I :oops: :oops: :oops:

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gus » Sat May 29, 2004 11:25 pm

Vaguely remember seeing the original Deathwatch. A quick scan of IMDB tells me that it also featured Caroline Langrishe.....

I worked with her on a short lived BBC Scotland series called 'Brotherly Love' with Gregor Fisher & James Fleet. I believe she was also a regular character in 'Lovejoy'.

If you have binoculars, I can be fleetingly spotted as an extra in 'The Little Vampire' on BBC Monday !

Gus
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)