Glasgow vs. Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:11 pm

Any of you anti Edinburgh people ever lived there then?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shuggie » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Peekay wrote:I also think Edinburgh must get far too much money, for their population size and catchment area size, from the executive to keep it so spotlessly cleen'n'pristeen looking.
The Edinburgh Festival makes the city council millions every year, and tourism during the rest of the year aint bad either, we also have one of the highest council tax rates in UK. Whilst geographically not huge the city population is particularly dense so there is plenty of cash coming in from the locals. Whilst a lot of money is spent making the city look good a lot of other services, particularly 'Health & Social Care' are utter b*ll*cks so I'm not convinced that we are getting by on handouts from the Scottish Executive.
Shuggie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Glasgow V Edinburgh

Postby mairead » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:29 pm

Lived and worked there Marginalwalker, hence my dislike of the place, but being Glasgow born, I am naturally prejudiced. :wink:
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Glasgow V Edinburgh

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:56 pm

mairead wrote:Lived and worked there Marginalwalker, hence my dislike of the place, but being Glasgow born, I am naturally prejudiced. :wink:

Well, I wish I had your take on Glasgow, I really do.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Glasgow V Edinburgh

Postby mairead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:44 am

Och well Marginalwalker,
We can only speak as we find and no doubt some of the Edinburgh folk have as much to say about the 'Dear Green Place'
Most cities have much the same going for them and going against them I suppose.
I saw my first Football riot in Manchester.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:27 am

They do have high quality exhibitions right enough.

Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:09 pm

I know the venues well Syd...
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:57 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Any of you anti Edinburgh people ever lived there then?

I've never lived there, crashed out a fair few times right enough. I know the Edinburgh folk well supporting one of their teams. Edinburgh is a lovely city but I have to admit my view can be jaundiced by the shocking inferiority complex shown by Edinburghers to all things 'weegie'.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:55 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
marginalwalker wrote:Any of you anti Edinburgh people ever lived there then?

I've never lived there, crashed out a fair few times right enough. I know the Edinburgh folk well supporting one of their teams. Edinburgh is a lovely city but I have to admit my view can be jaundiced by the shocking inferiority complex shown by Edinburghers to all things 'weegie'.

I gather that you know the thoughts of the whole population of Edinburgh then.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:43 pm

People in Aberdeen have a similar take on Glasgow. 'Criminals' is their main complaint... ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Vladimir wrote:People in Aberdeen have a similar take on Glasgow. 'Criminals' is their main complaint... ::):

OK Vlad so it`s legal to shag a Sheep :?: :wink:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:54 pm

Vladimir wrote:People in Aberdeen have a similar take on Glasgow. 'Criminals' is their main complaint... ::):

You presumably are referring to the ditty popular amongst visiting football fans :

I am a weegie, a f***ing weegie
I'm only happy on Giro day
My dad's a dealer, my maw's a stealer
Oh please don't take my Giro away

To the tune of 'You are my sunshine', obviously :D .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:58 pm

OK Vlad so it`s legal to shag a Sheep

The sheep are all dead, probably from the asbestos coming out of the many empty factories around the place, :)...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:34 pm

marginalwalker wrote:I gather that you know the thoughts of the whole population of Edinburgh then.

Yes, yes I do actually. "Hi Schiehallion" they all shout as I stride up the Royal Mile twirling my gamp and winking at the ladies. Sometimes I stop outside St Giles' and they all crowd around me as I ponder the question "how can marginalwalker express views on Glaswegians, and in particular, their friendliness when he doesn't know every Glaswegian personally?"

Then I hop on board a shitty coloured bus (apparently the locals call it maroon, or to use the local dialect likesay, marone) and I head off over The Bridges and along Princes St doffing my hat to the waving shoppers.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:43 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
marginalwalker wrote:I gather that you know the thoughts of the whole population of Edinburgh then.

Yes, yes I do actually. "Hi Schiehallion" they all shout as I stride up the Royal Mile twirling my gamp and winking at the ladies. Sometimes I stop outside St Giles' and they all crowd around me as I ponder the question "how can marginalwalker express views on Glaswegians, and in particular, their friendliness when he doesn't know every Glaswegian personally?"

Then I hop on board a shitty coloured bus (apparently the locals call it maroon, or to use the local dialect likesay, marone) and I head off over The Bridges and along Princes St doffing my hat to the waving shoppers.

::):

They're probably just cheery because they'll be better off when the ice caps melt. :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)