Glasgow vs. Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Simba » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:37 pm

It's called Scumdee for a reason. ;)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:21 pm

Simba wrote:It's called Scumdee for a reason. ;)

I worked and lived in Dundee for 10 months, Aberdeen for 5 months and Edinburgh for 7 years and it`s defo a shithole 8O No time for Weegies or anyone else :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:31 pm

scaryman2u wrote: No time for Weegies or anyone else :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll:

:D . I stick with my 'Glasgow as Northern Scouseland' opinion, though. Or does everywhere else in Scotland hate Weegies because they're jealous? 8O :wink:

Incidentally, friends who support one of the Evil Twins football clubs say that Aberdeen is the only place in Scotland where it actually feels like an away game. Aberdonians have my respect for that alone :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:44 pm

Josef wrote:
scaryman2u wrote: No time for Weegies or anyone else :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll:

:D . I stick with my 'Glasgow as Northern Scouseland' opinion, though. Or does everywhere else in Scotland hate Weegies because they're jealous? 8O :wink:

Incidentally, friends who support one of the Evil Twins football clubs say that Aberdeen is the only place in Scotland where it actually feels like an away game. Aberdonians have my respect for that alone :)

Bullshit Josef :evil: Bus-loads o people come doon fae Ayburdeen for OF matches :wink: ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Glasgow for the shopping & the atmosphere, Edinburgh for the history & the sheer beauty of her views.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:50 pm

:oops:

I must just be getting old, then. Whatever happened to the 'Glasgow Reds'?

Come back Alex Ferguson, I say :) .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Josef wrote:BTW, am I misremembering, or was there really a Chinese restaurant to the back of Tannadice/Dens called the Orange Wok?

It may well have been because funnily enough I too remember a Chinese up the hill from Tannadice/Dens. It was up on Clepington Road and was then called "The Tak Awa" and I'm sure it was even called the "Ching Kee" at one time!

Obviously owners with a sense of humour!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
Josef wrote:BTW, am I misremembering, or was there really a Chinese restaurant to the back of Tannadice/Dens called the Orange Wok?

It may well have been because funnily enough I too remember a Chinese up the hill from Tannadice/Dens. It was up on Clepington Road and was then called "The Tak Awa" and I'm sure it was even called the "Ching Kee" at one time!

Obviously owners with a sense of humour!

My memory of Dundee is mostly of Celtic Supporters ( but i was based in Lochee ) but i remember a pub on the outskirts where you had to sing the Sash to get in :roll: ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby awm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:43 am

So I would be going to Glasgow to take a job in science at the Beatson Institutue. I know that the University of Edinburgh has a lot to offer, but as an American it would be really difficult to get funding (which would not be the case at the Beatson).

I have been to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, although I've spent more time in Edinburgh, and just love it. Glasgow I visited for only a weekend and it was spliced with a trip to Oban. Top it off with the football team I was following around and the amount of beer I consummed with them, I remember precious little about Glasgow. Although I do remember thinking it was very nice of the team to take out such a slip of an American girl out on the town as they did.

Does anybody live in Edinburgh and commute to Glasgow or vice versa? It's only about an hour away, right?
awm
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:42 am

The train journey time is 45 minutes but It's getting to Waverley or Haymarket and then getting to your destination in Glasgow from that adds the minutes.

but yes plenty of people do it.

The Underground will take you to the Western Infirmary, the train from Queen Street Low Level will take you to Hynland at Gartnavel General Hospital. You could probably walk to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary or catch a bus from Cathedral Street.

Once you've identified your base some kind soul will advise on the best season ticklet to meet your needs.
Last edited by Dexter St. Clair on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:44 am

awm wrote:Does anybody live in Edinburgh and commute to Glasgow or vice versa? It's only about an hour away, right?
Plenty of people do that journey, both ways as well. By US standards it may seem a short commute but in reality it's 2 1/2 hours out of your day that you could spend doing something more productive. And theres no pretty countryside to see between Glasgow and Edinburgh to soften the journeytime.

If you really wan't to live in Edinburgh I'd recommend getting a job there. However, If the Beaston thing is the best for you then get an apartment in the West End of Glasgow. It's a leafy Victorian suburb about 5 minutes walk from the Beatson with beautiful Brownstone-style houses (in Red or Blonde sandstone and often converted into apartments now) and tenement apartments which can be quite palatial. There's nice parks, decent restaurants and the cultural scene is pretty vibrant

And as a Bostonian, I think you'll prefer Glaswegians. Edinburgh folk are a terribly repressed bunch...
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:21 am

awm wrote:Although I do remember thinking it was very nice of the team to take out such a slip of an American girl out on the town as they did.

We make it a rule to always be kind to both the blue rinse brigade and nubile young ladies.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby awm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:29 am

red_kola wrote:If the Beaston thing is the best for you then get an apartment in the West End of Glasgow. It's a leafy Victorian suburb about 5 minutes walk from the Beatson with beautiful Brownstone-style houses (in Red or Blonde sandstone and often converted into apartments now) and tenement apartments which can be quite palatial.

What is the going rent/sale price for such brownstones in that area?
awm
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby awm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:39 am

red_kola wrote:And as a Bostonian, I think you'll prefer Glaswegians. Edinburgh folk are a terribly repressed bunch...

From what I remember, the Glaswegians were indeed a lovely bunch...very accomodating and just happy to show me around given the interest I had taken in the city (the one exception to this was the broad who threw my pint into the face of one of the football players...I think it was her ex). I also remember folks in Edinburgh being really friendly. Although now that I think about it, most of the people I was tooling around with in Edinburgh were Irish. I gather a lot of them end up there.
awm
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Best thing about Glasgow and Edinburgh is the way they have now woken up to the need for them to collaborate on the U.K. and Global stages. Glasgow’s Lady Provost Liz Cameron took a lead on this with the-then Edinburgh Provost a couple of years back. Earlier this year at the prestigous OECD international benchmarking conference in Glasgow, the Edinburgh Council leader kicked off with a strong acknowledgement of the much-neglected Glasgow story of economic out-performance.

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh’s economies out-perform any regional English city outside London (as I pointed out elsewhere, Glasgow has actually out-performed Edinburgh’s economy when you take into account the structural economic collapse that Glasgow survived).

Nevertheless, we have reached the stage where Glasgow and Edinburgh are each too small to sustain the momentum needed to continue to perform against other U.K. cities (never mind elsewhere in the Global economy).

But taken together, Glasgow and Edinburgh would be the biggest UK urban market out-with London, if they get their collaboration right. Recent history gives examples of what happens if they fail to collaborate – Glasgow’s silly 1960s wee airport parochialism at the time lost Prestwick its rightful future place as a UK international hub airport to Manchester. Now Birmingham is aiming to displace Edinburgh’s Festival (God what a dour place Edinburgh would be without that few weeks of the year).

It’s rot to say that Edinburgh is anything like the more Scottish city (who wants that provincial tag?). I understand that Edinburgh houses the largest South East England ex-pat population of any UK city outside London (probably why Edinburgh bus drivers speak understandable English).
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)