Glasgow vs. Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Josef » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 pm

glasgowken wrote:One big difference I noticed in Edinburgh, and the surrounding area, is the small amount of graffiti compared to Glasgow.
Even the well to do areas of Glasgow have a lot of graffiti, especially on the electrical boxes, & bus shelters.

Presumably it is more artistic graffiti, though? :wink:

There was a brief experiment with using those glass 'bell, tree, fish' bus shelters out my way a year or so back, but they never lasted long enough to accumulate graffiti.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ozneil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:43 am

I would choose to live in same city you work in. Commuting between them is for the birds. You rely on trains which when I lived there, ( a while ago I must admit) were notoriously unreliable but the excuses made it all worth while.
Delayed because (the best 10) :-

1 Fog in Sea Area Fortes
2 Leaves on line
3 Points frozen
4 Rain Forecast.
5 Lady had chained herself to seat & someone had stolen the bolt cutters
6 Battery was flat & were waiting for AA to jump start it
7 Snow on line
8 Driver had missed his bus to work
9 Rails buckled in heat (now that is an obvious lie)
10 Strike.

People are people everywhere & you will soon make friends in either. In my experience I made most friends at work (both sexes) , sport, Rugby Union, (male) & the QM at Glasgow uni (female)

I have never lived in Edinburgh but lived for more than 7 years in Glasgow. I found Glasgow people friendly but a bit introspective & insular on average. The surroundings however are magic.

Good skiing at Glencoe bout 2 hours drive north also at Aviemore but that is too far for one day and a bit exxy. Neither compare to Sun Valley

:)
ozneil
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ozneil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:26 am

Loafy wrote

well i have a 1st class hons degree which i achieved when i was 20. i also have a hnd in civil engineering and not to mention i am dyslexic too i feel i do no to bad like!

mmm never met a Civil Engineer in my puff. I blame all the rudeness on them grovelling about in the dirt all the time ::):
ozneil
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:36 pm

applemaca wrote:Her views are indeed beautiful......largely becuase of her aversion to wearing knickers below her fur coat...... :D :wink:

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:38 pm

loafy wrote:
PlasticDel wrote:
Would it be lost on you (or just my damn cheek) if I was to mention education, y'know like grammer and stuff.

well i have a 1st class hons degree which i achieved when i was 20. i also have a hnd in civil engineering and not to mention i am dyslexic too i feel i do no to bad like!

Hey loafy a huv a cycling deficiancy bagde. Thats us even then eh. ::): ::): ::): ::):
For the Nutty proffesor AWN from USA there is an open air dry ski slople in Bearsden. Kinda posh but not as posh as Cold Spring Harbour or the Hamptons. But you do get a good social mix of people.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Was at the annual presentation from Scottish Enterprise Glasgow today; among a lot of good solid news on Glasgow' economic development I was glad to hear that a formal collaboration agreement has been signed by Edinburgh and Glasgow. A lead officer has already been appointed, so presumably we will be soon seeing some tangible activity.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee nugget » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:44 pm

*yawn*
Edinburgh is for Scottish people that wish they were English

salt and sauce
or
salt and vinegar
wee nugget
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:47 pm

wee nugget wrote:*yawn*
Edinburgh is for Scottish people that wish they were English

salt and sauce
or
salt and vinegar

That's definitely sauce. :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow V Edinburgh

Postby mairead » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:41 pm

Give me Glasgow any day. I have never been a fan of 'Auld Reekie'
As an earlier poster said, the people make the place and Glasgow is by far the friendliest place.
The city also has many beautiful buildings and parks which are never much publicised but has achieved much acclaim over the years. EG Garden city, City of culture etc. but sadly it's slums and other down sides are about all that ever hit the news, while we don't hear much about Edinburgh's slums, and they got plenty. A number of years ago Edinburgh was dubbed the 'aids' capital of Europe. Didn't see much of that in the press though
Glasgow is definately S(miles) better
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Glasgow V Edinburgh

Postby marginalwalker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:39 pm

mairead wrote:Give me Glasgow any day. I have never been a fan of 'Auld Reekie'
As an earlier poster said, the people make the place and Glasgow is by far the friendliest place.
The city also has many beautiful buildings and parks which are never much publicised but has achieved much acclaim over the years. EG Garden city, City of culture etc. but sadly it's slums and other down sides are about all that ever hit the news, while we don't hear much about Edinburgh's slums, and they got plenty. A number of years ago Edinburgh was dubbed the 'aids' capital of Europe. Didn't see much of that in the press though
Glasgow is definately S(miles) better

Oh Edinburgh has plenty slums and they dont hide it.

Glasgow a friendly city? Aye right. That is now starting to become an urban myth. There is a war going on out there whilst your sleeping..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Glasgow V Edinburgh

Postby mairead » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:42 pm

There are wars going on at night in almost every big city in the country, not only in Glasgow.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:06 pm

Agreed, Mairead, no reason to decry Edinburgh though. Do Glaswegians suffer from an inferiority complex in regard to our capital city? What do you think? Why else the constant vitriol?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:37 am

HollowHorn wrote: Do Glaswegians suffer from an inferiority complex in regard to our capital city?

No, but I do think Edinborers suffer from a superiority complex. I also think Edinburgh must get far too much money, for their population size and catchment area size, from the executive to keep it so spotlessly cleen'n'pristeen looking. Still, as long as the polichickens and tourists are happy who cares about us!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:52 am

Jings, criven's, help ma boab, when will we ever break free?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:11 pm

Any of you anti Edinburgh people ever lived there then?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)