Glasgow vs. Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow vs. Edinburgh

Postby awm » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:22 pm

What are the major differences, pros and cons, between these two cities?

Which city has the better art, nightlife, industry, architecture, food, etc?
awm
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby glasgowken » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:42 pm

8O BIG can of worms ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby awm » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:47 pm

Ok, well, let's hear it. I did a search before posting this, but perhaps didn't look in the right places. If I missed a big topic, mea culpa.
awm
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:13 pm

Edinburgh has one of the most amazing vistas of any world city. They managed to keep their castle. Probably because they capitulated to successive invading English armies at the drop of a hat thus minimising damage. The pubs are more varied. It is the home of the most entertaining SPL side but is also home to the Gorgie maroon balloon hordes who drink out the lavvy and eat moths. Not as Victorian as Glasgow but in fairness that's only because we were so adept at pulling down everything pre-Victorian. Industry wise they brew beer but they are really more a bunch of bankers. Our Blythswood Hill is nothing compared to the hills within Edinburgh. They get less than 50% the annual rainfall of Glasgow and they've got a wee dug that sits on a grave.

Glasgow people however are better and it's people who make a city.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:20 pm

Glasgow is really a Northern English city. The neds even speak like Scousers these days. Same 'salt of the earth' patter too. Edinburgh is Scotland :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:10 pm

Josef wrote:Glasgow is really a Northern English city. The neds even speak like Scousers these days. Same 'salt of the earth' patter too. Edinburgh is Scotland :)

You've got to go to Craigmillar, Pilton or Wester Hailes to find a Scot in Edinburgh! ::):
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:17 pm

Don't forget Muirhouse, as immortalised in the Meadowbank Thistle (Livingston as was) song 'Liberace comes from Muirhouse'. To the tune of 'Deck the halls with boughs of holly', since you ask.

And no, I wasn't a supporter :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:33 pm

Edinburgh is one of the worst places i`ve had the displeasure to work in :evil: Salt n saaas son :?: Nah Salt n vinegar hen, and try finding a decent roll shop with real crispy rolls :( Glasgow is the real capital of Scotland :!: :wink: ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shuggie » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:37 pm

Schiehallion wrote:You've got to go to Craigmillar, Pilton or Wester Hailes to find a Scot in Edinburgh! ::):
Being born in Wales to a welsh family, brought up in England and now one of those living in Edinburgh, I can't really argue with that :oops:
Shuggie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:42 pm

scaryman2u wrote:Edinburgh is one of the worst places i`ve had the displeasure to work in :evil: Salt n saaas son :?: Nah Salt n vinegar hen, and try finding a decent roll shop with real crispy rolls :( Glasgow is the real capital of Scotland :!: :wink: ::):

If they didn't say 'Ken' or "Likes 'a" at the end, you had probably got lost and ended up in Falkirk :wink: . Which would explain it.

There used to be a great bakers near the Grassmarket that sold those seriously carcinogenic (and crispy, obviously) burnt rolls out a hatch in a side wall at four in the morning. Ideal.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:15 pm

Really both cities have lots to offer. Each has different attributes which compliment each other.

It depends what you are looking for. It is possible to live and work in each. Both offer a wide selection of nightlife.

Awm you need to come and try both and choose for youself. The traveling time between both is under 1 hour. I personnally would recommend Glasgow but come to Scotland and make up your own mine. Whichever you choose I am sure you will love Scotland and be made welcome.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:19 pm

Seconded :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:25 pm

Alex Glass wrote:come to Scotland and make up your own mine. Whichever you choose I am sure you will love Scotland and be made welcome.

Aye too true.....but give Dundee a miss, it's a dump!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:31 pm

It's stunning from across the Tay, though. As long as you don't venture over the crest of the hill....

BTW, am I misremembering, or was there really a Chinese restaurant to the back of Tannadice/Dens called the Orange Wok?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:32 pm

Schiehallion wrote:Aye too true.....but give Dundee a miss, it's a dump!

Naw. Give Dundee a day of your time and see what a city that is still attempting urban regeneration through investing in the Cultural Sector looks like. You'll find the best theatre house and the best public art gallery anywhere in Scotland just across the road from each other

And the view from the top of the Law beats anything Glasgow has to offer and comes close to the fine vistas of the capital.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)