Nice one Vlad ::): ::): ::): ::): ::):

Get the bigman to sort it out.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:22 am

It's even not a cultural issue, we just have to look at Paris as an
example.

Remember though that Paris has a more organised kind of violence, the riots last year were just a way of protesting at the crap conditions in a lot of the cités. In Glasgow people just seem to attack each other aimlessly, as if they cant grasp the larger picture and why their conditions are bad as they are, or indeed who to blame...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:28 am

They could start by blaming themselves, I s'pose. But then personal responsibility went oot the windae in Scotland years ago.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:30 am

They could start by blaming themselves

They could. But then lack of personal responsiblity for the individual is no problem here, we're all selfish bastards! Its more personal responsiblity WITHIN and as a contribution to society itself that is needed!
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:32 am

Vladimir wrote:
To my amazement I agree with Vladimir

That reminds me of those times when people are asked what they think of this or that left wing politician, and the answer given always starts like: 'I don't agree with his politics, but...' ::):

I think we should employ this man, previously seen on 'Still Game'...

:roll: ::):

Good one. He could be paid in Midori.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:37 am

Vladimir wrote:we're all selfish bastards!

A higher than average percentage are, but not all. Society is not
dead and buried yet.

Whur Doomed!!! :wink:
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:53 pm

Ally Doll wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again - CCTV on its own isn't a solution to crime! More police patrolling on foot is the only way to improve matters.

But where would they come from? Strathclyde has approximately 7500 cops, of which probably half don't cover the streets (i.e CID, Family Protection Units, Crime Teams, Drug Squads etc).

So that leaves ~3750 covering a population of 2.2 million. Although Strathclyde has 4 shifts so only a quarter of that number (~940) are on duty at any one time.

Take away all those on annual leave, court, sick, watching prisioners, standing by loci and you can see how the numbers dwindle. And bear in mind that these figures are for the whole of the Strathclyde area, not just Glasgow.

It's about time sentencing reared it's ugly head again really.
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 am

I didn't ask for this topic to 'not be talked about' or 'stick your head in the sand'.

All I said is what's the point of this type of thread on a forum like Hidden Glasgow? What purpose is there in bringing it up in here; what's gonna change 'cos it's raised here? Why not waste your time by writing to the Evening Times instead... or your councillor, MP or police?

(Yes I know it's a rhetorical question, but still)

Of course not talking about violence doesn't mean it's not happening... Duh.. but threads like this, arguably, can contribute to the whole atmosphere and image thing around violence (and Scottish (male) culture does still have a problem with apparently glamouring and being endlessly fascinated with the hard man rubbish ).

Certainly cuts into the 'fun and discovery' aspect that I thought was the driving force behind Hidden Glasgow.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:40 pm

I don't believe better housing or more police on the beat will significantly cut crime in Glasgow.

Scottish people are just inherently aggressive and I don't think that it's beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that 300 hundred years of political subservience has created a self-loathing and violent national psyche.

Just as black culture in the US or other marginalised minorities have been swallowed up by inward violence so the Scots have within a UK context.

As for the Evening Times peice, clearly it has been sensationalised to sell more copies but a glance at the crimes figures show that crime is almost certainly much higher than this 'journalism' suggests.

It's quite obvious, by looking at the figures that crime is only really reported in the city centre and middle class areas. Does anyone actually seriously believe that Garnethill is seven times more violent than Maryhill, Pollok or Possil?
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Come on escotty - this is one topic out of around 4000 - I'd say on balance HG does in fact contribute to a positive image of Glasgow. What it perhaps does better than - umm otther stuff - is to help people to really engage with the city and by doing that to love it a little more.

It is however entirely valid to also enter discussions like this one - which was seeded by the evening times piece and to throw some thoughts around.... people tend to formulate opinions through discusson, and from these dscussions maybe then they can take their thoughts to their MP with a bit more consideration that "gonna do something about knifes?".

I hardly think discussion is glamourising crime. I take your point that raising it to the top of the tree of whats important isnt helpful for how the city is perceived, I think we all appreciate that. But to say not to even utter the words that Glasgow has problems...well, I really can't see how that helps either. If you don't present and discuss the problem you really will never reach a solution.

What I would like to see is for the next Glasgow branding campaign to focus on civic pride, can't help but think their a growing feeling of disassociation between people and place.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Strike Team » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:03 pm

KonstantinL wrote:Scottish people are just inherently aggressive and I don't think that it's beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that 300 hundred years of political subservience has created a self-loathing and violent national psyche.

It all makes sense now - our violence problem is entirely the fault of the English :) :) :) .
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:48 pm

Did you see the feature today in the Dunday Herald on another 'shock expose' of Glasgow's 'feral' violence. Whether we like it or not (or accept it or not) image and reputation is a tangable, concrete asset for any city competing for jobs and investment on the world stage.

For potential investors, a city reputation for violence is a put-off. The more these investors are put off, the more the city's problems of job loss and deprivation will continue.

Adding our own wee bits of fat to the fire of Glasgow's so-called culture of violence must seem to our competitors like us adding wood to the funeral pyre of our regeneration.

This is an example of the real disavantaging consequences for Glasgow's future succes; placing the city alongside Iraq, Afghanistan??:

http://www.sundayherald.com/58673
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:20 pm

How is anyone who contributes by posting on this thread adding "fat to the fire"?

If we chose to ignore this violence then it will continue. I agree that some journalism can be damaging and sensational in it's reporting of such crimes and of Glasgow's reputation.

However, taking media reports aside you only need to read the bulletins on Strathclyde Police's own website, they report the bare facts without adding any newspaper spin or agenda. These reports make shocking reading.

Bottom line is something needs to be done about it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Most violent streets in Glasgow

Postby mairead » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:50 am

Violence will never be brought under control in any city until Parents are made to take responsibility for their offspring, Teachers are again allowed to use the 'Strap', Police get support from parents, and the law is less poilitically correct and punishment made to fit the crime. Make prisons so tough that the criminals just won't want to be there and bring back the birch. I would also bring back conscription.
Political correctness and civil liberty taken to extremes, as they are today, are the downfall of a law abiding society.
If people break the laws we all have to live with, then they give up any RIGHTS they had.
There is too much emphasis on the rights of the criminals and not nearly enough on the rights of the victims of crime.
We have elderly people living in dread of the winter when many of them are faced with the choice of eating or heating while prisoners live in comparitive luxury, ie they are fed, warm and have many modern conveniences.
Crime has always been with us, and unless the bleeding hearts brigade are ignored, always will be.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Most violent streets in Glasgow

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:30 am

mairead wrote:Crime has always been with us

Aye and that's teh only sensible thing you have said. take your Cliched nonsense over here

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?act=idx

and stay there.

Thank you

I was reading up some Daily Records from the fifties. When we had the death sentence, hard labour, the belt, police assaulting anybody they disliked and you know what violent crime was being reported in a similar fashion as it is today.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)