Most violent streets in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Most violent streets in Glasgow

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:45 pm

Interesting to note that the chap doing the interviews felt safer outside the area where he was brought up,also interesting point was the kids that have been in programes the likes of the YMCA projects have a different prespective of life once they have seen another light to what has been ingrimed from their enviorenments & families.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 pm

Doesn't seem too far detached from my experience of living in Pollok in all honesty.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Mori » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:57 pm

Wasted Nation

BBC Scotland

Sun 24 Feb, 10:50 pm - 11:50 pm 60mins

Part of the Out of Control season

Glenn Campbell hosts a debate on how we should address the long standing problem of gang and knife crime in Scotland. The audience includes victims; those who have been prosecuted for their part in these crimes; representatives from frontline agencies who have to cope with these problems; and decision makers. [S]

Subtitles Stereo Widescreen
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:17 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:19 pm

when will thet do this in the Glasgow area?... i'm sure there are loads more neds that have warrants out for their arrests.

evening times

Image Image

The 24-hour blitz was launched at 6am as officers stormed addresses across Renfrewshire.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am

Staff who work on trains and buses are demanding tougher laws to protect them from violence

BBC

:|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Just after watching this factual, most of the programe was set in the schemes of Glasgow and labeld it as STAB capital of the UK... a pretty diabolical statistic towards the city. :|

BBC

Stabbed: The Truth About Knife Crime

Inside Britain's knife crime epidemic, with the police, local councils and relatives of teenagers who have been stabbed to death.

Mothers, sisters and survivors reveal why they are releasing CCTV footage of fatal stabbings and opening coffins to shock the nation into action.

The police unveil a new anti-gang strategy which warns parents about the secret street lives of their sons, and Trading Standards Officers use a 13-year-old boy to show how shopkeepers are selling lethal weapons to children.

In Scotland, teenagers involved in the spiral of gang-driven knife violence talk for the first time about being stabbed and wearing the scars with pride, and criminologists explain why Glasgow is the knife crime capital of Britain.

And, in London, one reformed knife-carrier confesses: "I know people, including myself at one time, that say 'I feel naked if I don't have my knife on me.'".

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:31 am

Nothing new under the sun. Knife epidemics...

It's been endemic since the Iron Age.

(At least I don't hear of kids in Glasgow shooting handguns at each other like they do in Bristol and Nottingham. It's still for gangsters here, or so I can determine from media reports.)

My ex-partner's youngest used to come home steamed up and start a row. Then he'd walk in the kitchen and pull a knife from the rack that had been considerately left for him to take advantage of. His brother used either to put his lights out or lock himself in his room and call the police. Meantime, I'd go out to the back garden yet again and lift the gardening fork out of the cabbage patch and bring it back indoors to box him in until the blue lamp turned up.

He'd obviously not sold enough weed or not had a good rumble and needed some action.

Compare and contrast: 1830's Somerset backsword fighting and 21st Century knife culture in Glasgow.

Unsupervised and undisciplined young men will do these things. It's the same the world over and until homo vulgaris evolves, homo sapiens will have to suffer the consequences if they don't find them something useful to do.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:21 am

ET

119 thugs held in online blitz

Cops swoop over weapons on web

DOZENS of weapons have been taken off Glasgow streets as police turn to social networking sites Bebo and Facebook to crack down on gang violence and knives.
Cadet officers at Strathclyde Police have uncovered hundreds of images of people posing with weapons - mainly knives - through social networking sites.
Police say 119 people have been reported, which means dozens of weapons have been confiscated.
As part of Operation Access, the initiative is aimed at getting weapons off the streets and saving lives.

Crackdown pays off on knife crime

More knife thugs are now facing jail

A TOUGHER approach to the prosecution of knife crime was today said to be paying dividends.
Solicitor General for Scotland Frank Mulholland said a statistical analysis sent out a "simple message" to those carrying knives.
He warned: "You risk going straight to prison and staying there for a long time."
New guidance was issued to police and prosecutors in 2006 after a review of procedures.
Since then, 641 knife-carriers have been prosecuted on indictment, allowing greater sentencing powers. Of the 572 cases concluded, 448 people were convicted and 349 jailed.

Publication date 02/03/09
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:02 pm

Anyone know the story of the man seriously injured in partick last night ?
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Triads in Glasgow ? :|
wikipedia
many years ago i was comming down sauchiehall street from a night out at 3 am and approached a street fight involving chinese gangs and somoeone had mentioned that they were triads fighting for their turf.

I says nahh probaly just a family feud, but someone else had mentioned on another thread about the chinese community in this end of the city is a Chinatown... Hmmm i'm begining to wonder.

ET

Five held after city axe rampage

SHOPPERS fled in terror as a gang of men battled with swords and axes in Glasgow city centre.
The fight broke out at the Savoy Centre in Sauchiehall Street in mid-afternoon as families enjoyed the start of the Easter holidays.
Police arrested five Chinese men, and three of them are expected to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court today.
Three men - two aged 24 and one aged 32 - were arrested for possession of illegal weapons.
Another 24-year-old was detained under immigration laws.
The fifth man, who was injured in the incident and taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary, is expected to appear in court later.
Police said two of the men were taken to hospital after the incident, which happened at 3.35pm yesterday.
However, their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
A police spokeswoman said: "Three men aged 32, 24 and 24 have been arrested in relation to possession of illegal offensive weapons.
"Another 24-year-old man is being detained under the Immigration Act."
The incident comes seven months after a 47-year-old woman was shot at point-blank range in the Chinatown shopping centre, in the Garnethill area of the city.
And in March last year, a group of Chinese men armed with machetes attacked a pair of bootleg DVD sellers at the Barras market.

Publication date 07/04/09
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am

Is it legal for Victor Morris shop to be still selling machetes and rambo knives. ? I had a look in the window the other day - 1st time I had been there. Bloody hell what an array of death they have. There is no way yuou can describe these things as anything like sporting or fishing. They are designed to kill.

But I have to note that when I was 13 or so I carried a Bowie knife - different part of the world (Devon) and we lived in the country - but even then we knew it was dodgy. (Mostly used for opening shellfish ! )
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Machetes are excellent for clearing jungles. Great for a campaign in Malaysia or taming a West Country orchard but I think it's stretching a point to try and justify their use in an urban jungle.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Is it legal for Victor Morris shop to be still selling machetes and rambo knives. ? ...................................

Given, as you say, they're in open view in the window I suppose it must be.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Lone Groover wrote:Is it legal for Victor Morris shop to be still selling machetes and rambo knives. ? ...................................

Given, as you say, they're in open view in the window I suppose it must be.

Daft question really.

8O

Mind you . Daft to be selling machettes and the like.
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)