Clydebank College & Anniesland College

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Clydebank College & Anniesland College

Postby glasgowken » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:34 am

Anyone ever did a course at either of these places ?
Just wondering what they're like (staff, facilities, ned element, etc) ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Clydebank College & Anniesland College

Postby My Kitten » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:06 am

glasgowken wrote:Anyone ever did a course at either of these places ?

I did a course at Anniesland College annexe in Partick many moons ago. Facilities were very standard (heat what heat), the staff were great though and there seemed to be no neds.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:22 am

Anniesland is lining up for a major rebuild which might prove disruptive.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:38 am

I did highers at Clydebank as a mature student. The place was well run down but the staff and students were great. The new college is well under construction and remains to be seen how well it will do.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:35 am

I did a course at Anniesland College in 1991-92 ( 8O ) and quite enjoyed it.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:41 pm

GK I did my HND at Anniesland (00-03). It really depends on theclass. At the begining it was pretty shit. All the wee neds thought the were just there to build robots they never realised they were there to study higher maths and physics so they soon dissapeared. We ended up with a good mix of practical engineers and boffins in the class. The teaching staff were always supportive. In particular Fraser the maths teacher. Wicked sense of humour.
I was at Cldebank in 83 and my lasting memory is nedsvile. Why dont you go and just sit in the canteens at lunch time and get a feel for them.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:09 pm

Like Coatbridge College, its a palace of neds, a beehive of ned activity.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:12 pm

hazy wrote:......... All the wee neds thought the were just there to build robots ...............

::): ::): cheers Hazy made me laugh. that would make a great new sig

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:08 pm

Clydebank was my first choice :( Apart from Peter's praise, it doesn't look good according to you guys.
What about Stow College ?

Why do neds go to college anyway ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:52 pm

i did an NC in Multimedia the building around 99-00 in the hatfield drive campus ,at that time the building was very dated in areas, staff were great , gym facilities were okish ,having to go downstairs to the p.e dept to change then back up stairs to the gym which was next to my main multimedia class was a bit of a pain ,and moving around was a problem, being in a large roomy class one week and crammed into a sardine tin`esque class the next,the library and internet suite was good at the time ,also in the winter months access to the college from crow road end was a pain as the roads to the college never seemed to be gritted and i once stood on some black ice on the route up and gave a glesga kiss to the closest lamppost and broke my nose :( apart from that never had a bad experience of the place ,compared to my old college which was the glasgow nautical college which was full of neds
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:57 pm

I did a scotvec course at Anniesland back in 96.... every tuesday afternoon. The course I did used the little annex building outside the main campus... like an old janitors house. I went on a wonder round it once... nice big staircase etc
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:45 pm

McShad wrote:I did a scotvec course at Anniesland back in 96.... every tuesday afternoon. The course I did used the little annex building outside the main campus... like an old janitors house. I went on a wonder round it once... nice big staircase etc

It will be demolished to make room for the new build.

BTW Stow College students were the only ones to be barred en masse from the John Street union. No reciprocity for them.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Clydebank College & Anniesland College

Postby bankie73 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:30 pm

glasgowken wrote:Anyone ever did a course at either of these places ?

I did an NC Audio Visual Technololgy at Clydebank College in 1991/92, staff where friendly and helpful, there were a lot of tracksuits about however. Last year I completed an HND in Multimedia at Stow, fewer neds (none in my class at all) but some of the equipment was a bit old, lecturers were brill though. :D
bankie73
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby peter » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:46 pm

New Clydebank college under construction.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:24 pm

glasgowken I can't speak for Clydebank but strictly from the perspective of employers and partners (outreach work, community learning etc.) I can vouch for Anniesland having a good solid reputation and in some quarters a lot of respect as a 'can deliver' college. They certainly took an early pro-active lead role in several Glasgow colleges coming together to work on rationalisation and consolidation on the estates asset management side.

I also heard from a couple of years back of a community from which many recently-arrived immigrant students/workers walked for some miles to get to Anniesland in preference to the college fairly nearby to their homes (better remain nameless). This was because they had quickly sussed out that Anniesland was better. When the Anniesland senior staff clocked onto this they responded by getting additional public funding to provide assisted transport for the 'walkers' - a good indicator of the culture of the place maybe?
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)