Youtube glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Youtube glasgow

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 am

skintobalinto wrote:Some 70's Glasgow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC4mvrl1d3c (Glasgowken, There are buses in the background :) )

Anyone know the title of the Arab Strap song??
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:42 am

That is the title, sort of - it's The Boy With The Arab Strap, by Belle and Sebastian.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:20 pm

:D

Time Team In a graveyard in Govan, on the banks of the River Clyde, Tony Robinson and the Team try to solve the mystery of a group of stone sculptures ... Full Episode: Season 4, Episode4

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... govan&aq=f
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:11 am

gap74 wrote:That is the title, sort of - it's The Boy With The Arab Strap, by Belle and Sebastian.

Cheers, now located !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 pm

the new hateful album...killbowie road has a wee preview on you tube just now. :P
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Noticed whilst perusing YouTube this evening that STV had some archive stuff on their page. Of particular interest was the first ever STV show, broadcast on August 31st 1957. Going under the title This is Scotland, it's mostly full of the kind of tartany nonsense most of us scoff at these days, but there's some interesting footage of the Edinburgh Festival and (at around the 22 min mark) the Glasgow Alhambra, followed by a couple of numbers presumably from the Five Past Eight show at the time, featuring Stanley Baxter and Jimmy Logan (a not especially funny skit, alas!).

Of most interest to me is the fact that it was broadcast from the new STV studios in Glasgow's Theatre Royal, which a few folk on here know is where I work - in fact, it's where I watched it, very odd to be only a few metres and 53 years away from the very spot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7UqDUeWn14

Also of interest will be the 1985 STV series Stookie, a kids drama show which those of us of a certain generation will remember well - had no idea I'd ever get to see it again, but all six episodes are on there:

http://www.youtube.com/show/stookie

The scenes by the Clyde were shot on my home turf of Cambuslang.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm

wee stookie was in taggart this week.also directed the stv show high times and sneaked a clip from stookie into one of the episodes.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am

gap74 wrote:Also of interest will be the 1985 STV series Stookie, a kids drama show which those of us of a certain generation will remember well - had no idea I'd ever get to see it again, but all six episodes are on there:

http://www.youtube.com/show/stookie

The scenes by the Clyde were shot on my home turf of Cambuslang.

Cheers for the link - I've just watched all six episodes! :D

No-one my age (34) seems to remember that programme - I've been accused of imagining it (particularly by my wife, who considers herself a TV addict in the Noel Edmonds game show sense) any time I've mentioned it over the years. To be fair, trying to jog people's memory of it wasn't easy as I could only remember parts of the theme tune and very little of the plot line. The only scenes that I could recall fairly well were the ones in the Barras for some reason.

I was surprised to see traffic using the old Cambuslang Road bridge in some of the scenes as I didn't think that bridge was still in use in the mid-80s.

It's a fair bit of a walk to hide the package at Rutherglen junction (?) - couldn't he have found somewhere a bit closer ::):
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 am

Yeah, there's a small forest growing on that old bridge now, I don't remember exactly when it closed to traffic, but about 15 years ago seems right. The Clyde walkway beside it looks fairly pristine in the show, guess the paths were fairly new then.

Episode 6 has a shot at the beginning of a police car travelling along the old Cambuslang Main St, before the 60s stuff on the north side was demolished - takes me back too!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:04 am

I'd forgotten about Stookie! One of the boys in my year at school had a bit part in it. He might've been one of the boys in the Boys Club scene in ep3 but I'm not sure. But oh did we hear all about his starring role! :)
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:08 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:No-one my age (34) seems to remember that programme

I'm 37 and I remember it. And I lived in bloody Sunderland at the time! ::):
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:49 am

gap74 wrote:Yeah, there's a small forest growing on that old bridge now, I don't remember exactly when it closed to traffic, but about 15 years ago seems right. The Clyde walkway beside it looks fairly pristine in the show, guess the paths were fairly new then.

Episode 6 has a shot at the beginning of a police car travelling along the old Cambuslang Main St, before the 60s stuff on the north side was demolished - takes me back too!

I think that Cambuslang Bridge would have been closed to traffic shortly after this was made (it was shown in 1985). My memory convinces me this occurred around the time I started Secondary School at the old Gateside School that year and am sure it had been this way when I moved out of Cambuslang in 1987.

Considering the speed that the Western SMT 62 service used to fly down Bridge street making the structure shake as it crossed it always amazed me that the closure didn't come sooner. There was a story around Cambuslang at the time that lasted for years that a similar bridge in New Zealand had collapsed some time previously although this may just be urban bullshit.

On a related topic what is the name of the road bridge at Carmyle?

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:24 am

I've always known that bridge as the Clydeford Road bridge, and it's marked on various maps as an old ford - although I would never fancy trying to cross the Clyde there by wading, particularly at the level it's at now!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:00 pm

PS WAVERLEY & GLASGOW DOCKS, 1970s (8mm Amateur Footage)

Only posted some six hours ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKUmyuSjElg

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:18 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)