Glasgow's Commonwealth Games Bid: 2014

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:06 am

The combined population of Oceania is 34 million.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby My Word » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:20 am

crusty_bint wrote:The combined population of Oceania is 34 million.

& almost 24 million of them inhabit Australia & New Zealand - and it would be pertinant if ye quoted your source.
'Hark the Herald Angels Sing'
My Word
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:27 am

It would also be pertinent for a Scot, particularly one from Glasgow, not to denigrate 18 Nation State's for the size of their populace for no reason and to no end other than to imply they are some sort of backwater with no relevance to the Commonwealth and its Games.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby My Word » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:46 am

I was just illuminating exactly how the Commonwealth Games is perceived.
The Aussies are only interested because they can bang loads of medals [the 'oppo' - as they like to call other countries - are shit] and it feeds their national obsession - i.e. The Tyranny of Distance = ATTENTION. The Kiwis likewise.

Fiji, the Cook Islands etc. who really knows ? .. where they are..... ZZZZZ
My Word
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:47 am

enjoyin yersel? ::):
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:44 am

My Word wrote:Fiji, the Cook Islands etc. who really knows ? .. where they are..... ZZZZZ

So how big does the population have to be before credibility kicks in then?
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:12 pm

My Word wrote:
Fiji, the Cook Islands etc. who really knows ? .. where they are..... ZZZZZ

Here

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.864365&lon=-4.333836&z=19.1&r=0&src=ggl

with a population of 16000 with 90000 visitors per year. And they're looking for staff.

http://www.ck/jobs.htm

There's 3 bed room flat available for $900 per week near here

http://www.ck/adirondack/index.htm
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Word » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:37 pm

crusty_bint wrote:enjoyin yersel? ::):

I did thanks Crusty & no even a sore heid this morning, that was a bonus ::):

Actually I hope Glasgow get the games.

If its in Fiji I'm sure I got my Nat King on that beach Dex.
My Word
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am

Fly Thru of the Games Village. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:18 am

Now that really is, a super, profesional, presentation, thanks for posting it Mori.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:25 pm

I might be a wee bit premature. ( Story of my life) But congratulations to wee Pugsey Purcell and his team at GDC for all the hard work and time in there quest to to push Glasgow forward in our bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow's Commonwealth Games Bid: 2014

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:30 pm

Was reading through the CGF evaluation report yesterday and Glasgow really does seem a far more convincing option. Just over two weeks till the decision now, heres hoping!

Here's the report >click< It's a very well balanced document so I thought it perfectly fair to lift these two extracts, verbatim:

The CGF Evaluation Committee wrote:Overall Conclusions - Abuja
The Abuja Bid Committee submitted a Candidate City File which has the substantial and broad backing of the Nigerian Government. The Evaluation Commission submitted a number of issues to be clarified by Abuja and while most of these matters were addressed, a number of material matters remain of concern and these are noted in the body of the report.

The Evaluation Commission is of the view that there are a number of areas, as detailed throughout this report, which require further attention and development within the proposals put forward by Abuja and any decision to award the Games to Abuja should be conditional on these matters being addressed.

The CGF Evaluation Committee wrote:Overall Conclusions - Glasgow
Glasgow has submitted a complete and well researched Candidature File. Overall proposals are grounded in a thoughtful and practical approach cosidering currently codified Commonwealth Games requirements. In particular, venue and legacy issues were appropriately addressed with obvious sensitivity to Glasgow's long-term needs.

All required Guarantees were provided in an appropriate form and were fully executed.

Relying on the representations made by Glasgow to the CGF and the Evaluation Commission, the documentation made available and the Commission's own analysis, the Commission is of the view that:

* Glasgow has demonstrated an understanding of the major requirements to stage the Commonwealth Games, and

* Should Glasgow fulfill all current commitments and have the flexibility to embrace and adapt to future requirements which will arise from more detailed planning, then

Glasgow has demonstrated the ability to stage the 2014 Commonwealth Games to a standard which would continue to enhance the image and prestige of the Games, delivering appropriate services to all constituents and stakeholders with a minimal risk of failure.

GCC really have done us proud with this bid regardless of the outcome of it
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby robertpool » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:55 pm

The one thing in life thats constant is change, :!: so get your camera out and photo every old tenement building in your area as it may not be there next week :cry: . The face of Dalmarnock is about to changed forever :) so in order to remind us how it looked like prior to the 'Games' take lots and lots of photos 8O . Years from now try and compair them and then decide if the old Dalmarnock was better or worse :roll: . I lived in Drumchapel from 1964 to 2001 before moving down the road to Clydebank 8) and the changes in Drumchapel over the last 15 years is phenomenal, you simply would not reconise the place from what it use to look like. So l will say it one more time..take hundreds of photographs, use your DSLR, SLR, Compact 35mm, Compact digital and not forgetting the camera on your mobile phone.

Happy Snapping :D
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:14 pm

If Abuja beats Glasgow for the 2014 Commonwealth games it will only prove to me that the voting system is either riged or the voting countries are taking some form of bribes. After listening to some political exciles they have stated that the country has no skilled labour force to build the transpot sytem never mind the stadia needed.
I look forward to seeing our junket team all smiles and cudles on Friday once the desicion is made.Then I will buy my new house in Bearsden cause Glasgow coouncil tax is going to rocket. :wink:
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:32 pm

The CGF has recently stated that it "cannot be bought" after the fiasco with New Delhi 2010 bid bribing member nations with £100,000 on the eve of the vote! The rules have changed as a result of that though and no changes can be made to the bid (or the amount of money on offer) after the candidate files are submitted, which was a few months ago now.

Abuja's trump card is the fact that in the 70 years the Commonwealth Games have been operating it has never once been to Africa, so voting along racial lines is expected. To what extent this will happen remains to be seen as it's difficult to ignore the conclusions of the Evaluation Committees report.

Time will tell though - best of luck us! :)
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)