Glasgow's Commonwealth Games Bid: 2014

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow's Commonwealth Games Bid: 2014

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Fossil wrote:George Square was buzzing early evening.
Missed out on the promo Items. But managed to get a key ring.

Here's a couple of the young ladies giving me the horn

Fossil

Did you get any 'phone numbers?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:35 pm

yes
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:38 pm

Fossil wrote:yes

Excellent. I'm glad at least one Glaswegian will have fond memories of the day we bought the Games.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:49 pm

you don't need a phone number to enjoy the win
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby escotregen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:42 am

Fossil, I didnae see you in the square! I was being mortified being with some strange Enid Blyton character look-alikes, so maybe you were just avoiding me. :wink: You mind and keep that key ring because one day it’s gonna be a good ebay seller, just like the Glasgow Garden Festival materials

For any people with Glasgow’s best interests at heart the fond memories are already accumulating. The printed media coverage yesterday across the UK was spectacularly positive on Glasgow and the Games. All the quality newspapers, with the exception of the Guardian seem to have had Glasgow’s success on their front-page spreads. Also some good reference in the foreign media.

(Isn’t it odd that the Guardian, that started out as the bastion of the ‘regional’ British press from its Manchester origins, is now so metro-London bound that it’s journalists now have a reputation that just cannot now ‘do’ Scotland?)

I also made a point of comparing the terrestrial TV channels’ main teatime news coverage of the result. Again, good ample coverage (to my surprise I must admit). The BBC was maybe just on the right side of adequate; the Channel 5 coverage was excellent and came across as genuinely punting a good story for Glasgow.

I know that some others and I will be wanting to see how South Lanarkshire folk can be part of this journey.

Just think… even the moaning Wuillies will have years of moaning material to look forward to now :)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:07 am

escotregen wrote: .....................
I know that some others and I will be wanting to see how South Lanarkshire folk can be part of this journey.

M74? Train to Glasgow Central?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:06 pm

escotregen wrote:I know that some others and I will be wanting to see how South Lanarkshire folk can be part of this journey.

The shooting's in South Lanarkshire at the Police shooting range at Jackton, nr East Kilbride and youse could grab the triathlon too if you occupy Strathclyde Park and annex it from the North Lanarkshire forces.

And Ruglen's just across the river from the athlete's village, ideal for setting up a booming trade in exporting macaroon bars across the Clyde in wee coracles.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Yes Schiehallion, the cross-border, import-export potential for Rutherglen and Cambuslang is what I want to talk to our local community enterprise and training centre about :D

After all, if the Vikings made it all the way up to Rutherglen re my old pal Joe's theory (origins of the old word Cambuslang; bend in the river and longboat etc.) then surely we can be part of the hosting of a world-wide event.

Coracles, longboats - let's go with the flow (gettit?)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

OT Tautology

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:15 pm

(Isn’t it odd that the Guardian, that started out as the bastion of the ‘regional’ British press from its Manchester origins, is now so metro-London bound that it’s journalists now have a reputation that just cannot now ‘do’ Scotland?)

basically The Guardian sell bugger all in Scotland particularly the weekend edition on a Saturday.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Joan Burnie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:26 pm

Sharon, fantastic news I’m sorry I have not been on to mention this [ busy with work] but how marvelous this is for Glasgow and the surrounding areas – As Alex Salmond mentioned it a great boost to the Scottish economy and I am sure that locals will applauded Glasgow City Council for winning the bid. It will benefit everyone in the long term.

Unfortunately you do have auld fish wives and moaning minis that cant see past the end of the close, and start to blame the council tax going up

Three cheers I say.
Read my page in the Record
Joan Burnie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)