Franco Scottish Lingo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Franco Scottish Lingo

Postby donjuan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:08 am

I am a useless linguist going from language to language, I love languages but I can't decide which one to master. I started out with French at school then went on to German, Italian, Spanish, French, Spanish, French, and now Portuguese, you get the picture I know a little of all but not enough of any. Anyway back to the point if there ever was one in the first place.

I have a few Brazilian friends and they have noticed that I seen to use a lot of French words, I explained to them that there is a lot of French used in the English speaking world, especially in Scotland mainly due to the auld alliance.

Dajaveu, Coup Da'Ta, rendezvous, ashit probably spelt wrong, but these are just a few of the words I have used with my Brazilian friends, and I was just wondering if any of you know of French words that are specific to Scotland but not the wider English speaking world. I think ashit is one meaning plate, we usually use it for those little foils for scotch pies.

And if any of you know Scottish words that have been incorporated into the French language even better, but I very much doubt that.

Best Regards
Don Juan
[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby doonunda » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:50 am

ft
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Grahame » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:24 am

My favourite east coast Franco-Scot mangle is "Je dinnaeken pas" ! :P
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:50 am

You don't need to go far up the coast of mainland Europe to find them saying 'ken'. The Dutch verb 'to know' is kennen. I know in Dutch is Ik ken. There are similarities between Dutch and Scottish which is no surprise considering we traded there a lot rather than having to travel further to France. For instance, the Dutch for a kirk is kerk.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:52 am

Further Scots/French mangling that my mother told me.

In the 60s, when she worked in a bookies there was a horse called "Feu du diable". This was translated into scots french as " foododoodible"

Similarly, a Glasgow jewellers from the same time "Aux bijoux de Paris" was known as "Ox bijoox de Paris"
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hardworkinghippy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Toodloo = a tout a l'heure

Plank (as in hide) is the same

Trink, when clinking glasses (drink)

There are lots more examples in French, but Dutch is by far the easiest to understand.

I've a good grasp of Dutch by just listening to a friend who shares a 'phone with us talking to his folks. The similarities to Dutch and Scottish are amazing - the "uch" and the "watter" are so Glaswegian !
hardworkinghippy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:38 pm

Schiehallion wrote:You don't need to go far up the coast of mainland Europe to find them saying 'ken'. The Dutch verb 'to know' is kennen. I know in Dutch is Ik ken. There are similarities between Dutch and Scottish which is no surprise considering we traded there a lot rather than having to travel further to France. For instance, the Dutch for a kirk is kerk.

My grandfather, who like many of his generation was in Germany for a wee while in the forties, used to say that the majority of the locals who couldn't speak English could nonetheless understand broad Scots (the Dutch words here being more or less the same as the German). Plus richt/recht and so on.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:14 am

Re. Franco-Scots. I was told, in the 1960's, that the "Toi" gang name originated from a family of French descent named "Santoi", Glasgow pronunciation San Toy, who lived in the pen at the top of Charlotte St. during the 1920's, 30's and gave their name to the eponymous local RC "team".
Seems reasonable to me, as often gangs were known by the name of the hardest/most numerous family involved.
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:57 am

Menodge

a neighbours friendly society for saving money

Ménager

to handle a situation, feelings cautiously; to use supplies sparingly, handle belongings with care; to fit a door, window; (fig) to arrange, organise a meeting, prepare for the future
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:04 am

Buroo

the unemployment benifit office or the benefit received

Bureau

(a) office (b) desk
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Celyn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:57 pm

I've always assumed that the Scottish (or perhaps only Glasgow) phrase about "footering aboot" with something had a connection with the French verb "foutre". Might be wrong, and I suppose I won't give you the English for that - let's just say it starts with "F" and usually gets spelled with three asterisks. :D
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:30 am

Have a look at

The Alternative French Dictionary

http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/French.1.html

Can be useful for staying out of trouble, while drinking in Paris :wink:
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:44 am

[quote="doonunda"]The french influence is a result of the Norman conquest of 1066. I saw a documentry about it a while ago. After the Normans took over the country they wanted everyone to speak French and they almost succeeded. The only problem was the working classes.
..............................."

What Norman Conquest was that?
I think you'll find it was that "scepter'd isle" England, that they "took over".
So, not only a completely different country, but a completely different island, although one that appears on no map.
And as for Melvyn Bragg as an authority on history :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ignorant English chauvinist of the first water.
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:29 am

Pripyat wrote:Have a look at

The Alternative French Dictionary

http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/French.1.html

Can be useful for staying out of trouble, while drinking in Paris :wink:

a carefully used word or two from a list like that dropped into a conversation can impress french people no end.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:04 pm

Sorry about the tone of my post earlier, very heavy pre-lunch lunch :oops:
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)