Glasgow Railway Termini

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Railway Termini

Postby sussex lad » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm

I have read your discussions on Glasgow termini with great interest. Even though I live down here, I have a great affection for your fine city and the history of it's railways. I have a mystery station to identify, which I think is in Glasgow somewhere. Are any of you aware of a book called 'Glasgow and Dunbartonshire's Lost Railways'? (Stansfield) If so, there is a photo on p21 purporting to be of Clydebank East terminus taken in September 1959 showing a large 4 platform terminus with electric lighting. This does not look like any other photo of Clydebank East that I've seen, which has appeared much smaller and primitive. My question to you experts is, which station is in fact in that photo? I had thought it might be Bridgton Central, but that doesn't seem to match up either. Cheers, Sussex lad
sussex lad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby glasgowken » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:12 am

Can you scan the pic and post it on here ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:49 pm

glasgowken wrote:Can you scan the pic and post it on here ?

Watch out, this photo will be copyright, and Stenlake Publications are not to be trifled with. Perhaps a PM to the great and the good (GK and me)!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MadMac » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:42 am

If you're stuck, send it on to me - I'm ex -BR and may be able to help.
MadMac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Karibou » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Hello to all, here's a link to my report to my exploration on cumberland station (inside pictures aswell)
It is not a terminus, but I figured those who post on this thread would like to see it anyway.

a wee taster :

MY REPORT :
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49216

Huge thanks to Gerald Blaikie for his very enlightening website http://www.scotcities.com

I was a bit disapointed as I expected to find more remnants of Gorbals st, southside st and main street stations...
but it's true that they closed a century ago or more... Cumberland street on the other hand, has 'only' been derelict for 45years.
Thanks for looking
Karibou
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Anorak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 am

Fantastic stuff Kalibou!

The bridge beside the Nautical College is the City Union Railway Bridge. Image

The bridge cost half a million pounds to erect over 100 years ago.

The City Union Railway Bridge carried the lines across the Clyde from the St Enoch terminal, then behind the Citizens Theatre through the Gorbals. The lines to Paisley initially passed through Main Street Station (1872 – 1900), which was replaced by Eglinton Street / Cumberland Street (1900 –1966).

You must have been living very dangerously to get those magnificent photographs of Cumberland Street Station. From street level, I could only use lots of guesswork, old maps and valuation rolls for my research for the Cumberland Street Station web page. You have captured the hidden depths which I would never be brave enough to seek out.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Karibou » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:34 am

You have captured the hidden depths which I would never be brave enough to seek out.

wow this is nicely put. Anorak, you just made my day here :D

I'm not brave (didn't have the nerves to go until the bridge... (might go back sometime soon...), it just requires a good deal of immaturity as the fine is £200 and tresspass on live tracks is a criminal offense (beside the part when I fall 6 meters in a collapsing staircase). so I understand why nobody goes.

It tip my hat to you for all your research, this is really precious stuff.
And if any of my pictures can illustrate your point on your website, feel free to post them there!
Karibou
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby steveM67 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:44 pm

This might have been pointed out before but there were two Hyndland Stations, one indeed a Terminus, located opposite the church on Hyndland Rd. It is now a football pitch, called Old Station Yard. The St was closed in 1960. The line runs from the yard West and - it's clearly visible, partly a tarac path and an overgrown area - then dives under the current Hyndland St. It then turns South and goes under the old railway bridge at the top of Clarence Dr (as opposed to the one at the bottom of the hill at Clarence Dr) and into a tunnel still visible. It then runs down to the old railways at Whiteinch.
steveM67
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alycidon » Mon May 31, 2010 2:10 pm

steveM67 wrote:This might have been pointed out before but there were two Hyndland Stations, one indeed a Terminus, located opposite the church on Hyndland Rd. It is now a football pitch, called Old Station Yard. The St was closed in 1960. The line runs from the yard West and - it's clearly visible, partly a tarac path and an overgrown area - then dives under the current Hyndland St. It then turns South and goes under the old railway bridge at the top of Clarence Dr (as opposed to the one at the bottom of the hill at Clarence Dr) and into a tunnel still visible. It then runs down to the old railways at Whiteinch.

But that station was not called Hyndland, it was the Caledonian's Crow Road Station. This was on the Central Low Level Route from Possil. Crow Road closed on 6th November 1960, earlier than the other stations on this route due to its location adjacent to the "new" Hyndland Station that still exists today (which was opened on the same day). The station is incorrectly cited as having been closed as part of the Beeching Axe, but since the Beeching report was not published until 1962 this is obviously incorrect!!

There is a good photo of the remains of the station here http://www.flickr.com/photos/85456381@N00/3559593619/
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 31, 2010 2:30 pm

There are photographs of the Hyndland Terminus station and the current Hyndland station here

more details here

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Glasgow_City_and_District_Railway/frame.htm
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)