INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Debs here

Postby deebers » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:00 pm

Ronnie wrote:
deebers wrote:and will soon be going to visit the site of "Glasgow's Forgotten Village", Grahamston.

Hi Debs
You going on Norrie Gilliland's tour? If so, I'll see you there.
Best, Ronnie

Yes - I will be there!
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

rumbled?

Postby Closet Classicist » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:53 am

Good hearing from you Sharon and Ronnie

In reply to your post Ronnie: it might be and I might be but I'd rather stick with my nom de plume, as this is extra curricular and I'm off duty, if you don't mind. Anyway it gives a good clue as to where my architectural sympathies are begining to lie and you're definitely not allowed to admit to that in the day job!
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: rumbled?

Postby Ronnie » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:45 pm

Closet Classicist wrote:Good hearing from you Sharon and Ronnie

In reply to your post Ronnie: it might be and I might be but I'd rather stick with my nom de plume, as this is extra curricular and I'm off duty, if you don't mind. Anyway it gives a good clue as to where my architectural sympathies are begining to lie and you're definitely not allowed to admit to that in the day job!

Very diplomatic, CC. :wink:
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:45 am

I feel quite lucky to have found your site! I've been researching my grandmother's family for years now via online, and it's only the past two years that I've made substantial progress.

Ever since I was given this old bag of very old photos that belonged to my grandmother, I've tried to find out everything about Glasgow, the shipyards, the schools, the boats which sailed out of there, particularly the SS Athenia, which sailed between Glasgow and Montreal. My grandmother died 4 years before I was born, and it has been a long haul to fit all of the pieces to the puzzle of her life. Also, to identify these photos and the people in them, as most are unnamed.

I do have some pretty old photos taken in Glasgow, not of the city itself, but portraits of ?family members, a classroom full of girls, and pictures taken aboard the SS AThenia. The Athenia photos are up until 1929 (my great grandmother was a stewardess on that ship) but the other portraits and such are at least 100 yrs old or more. There are also some military pictures. I can identify none of the clues that these pictures hold--ex, the military uniforms, which war, what looks to be a seminary class of men?, etc. .

So, I glean what I can from the different Glasgow, or Edinburgh sites that I visit (other family members were from Edinburgh) and I try to put the pieces together. Someday I will journey to Glasgow, when most of my research is done, and perhaps I will walk the same streets that my grandmother did as a child, if, indeed, any of these streets have survived the varied "Renewal" projects of Glasgow.

Thanks again for such a wonderful site. I hope to learn a lot having a good read of the different posts here. Thank you!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:48 am

Welcome whitenee, I hope you find everthing you are looking for

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:36 am

whitenee wrote: There are also some military pictures. I can identify none of the clues that these pictures hold--ex, the military uniforms, which war, what looks to be a seminary class of men?, etc. .

If you want, I could take a look at them and see if I can help you at all.

PM if you want to arrange emailing them to me.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:56 am

Thank you! I finding out just how much I don't know! :) , thanks for the welcome!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ronnie » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:25 pm

whitenee wrote:I do have some pretty old photos taken in Glasgow, not of the city itself, but portraits of ?family members, a classroom full of girls, and pictures taken aboard the SS AThenia.

Hi whitenee

Welcome to the site. Why don't you post some of the photographs, and maybe someone here will recognise the classroom, or the background to other pictures? We're here to help ::):

You may already have this book:

BOOK - Understanding old Photographs, by Robert Pols.
Understanding Old Photographs aims to show that there is often more to an ancestor's portrait then at first meets the eye. The Authors earlier book, Dating Old Photographs, helped readers to identify and date the contents of the family album. This volume looks at the making of the images and the messages they convey, inviting family historians to go beyond the basic questions of 'Who?' and 'When?', and to consider what more our inherited photos can tell us.
86pp., Soft Cover, 6" x 8.5" ,1999, ISBN 1-899536-01-9.

Best, Ronnie
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:33 pm

Hi Ronnie and thanks for the suggestion of the book. I will have a look for it. I have looked at this site: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/ The History of Photography in Edinburg by Peter Stubbs. I'd say 70% of my Scottish photos were portraits done in Edinburgh, and the rest in Glagow. From the Edinburgh site I was able to locate the photo studios, see examples of their work, the type of paper used/postcard material, and generally date most somewhere from 1850 onward to 1920.

I would love to post some of the Glasgow photos here, if/when I can learn how to post them. I'll have a look tonight and see if I can figure it out (I am definately not a techie--only know how to run the internet! :)).

Thanks for the suggestions!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby whitenee » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:38 pm

Sorry, I posted the above before seeing the other two responses! Thanks for the welcome Fossil, and Dr_ Lightning (?), I wouldn't mind at all if you had a look at the military pictures--I can't make heads or tails of them. Thanks
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Napalm » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:04 pm

hi, im napalm/mark. I've been taking pics for a year or so. I like taking pics of urban stuff, landscapes, and I also do pics at nightclubs.

My site is http://www.napalm.org.uk

Im a self taught photographer, but I just started a photography hnd course at college of building and printing as I've decided photography is for me

hi :wink:
Napalm
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:07 pm

welcome Napalm

enjoy HG

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Speedbird » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:30 pm

Im a self taught photographer, but I just started a photography hnd course at college of building and printing as I've decided photography is for me

Oh dear!!

I did my 3 in that department, and if you are not mad before you go in, you will when you leave......
Enjoy the view!
I will not say any more!! ;-)

Take a look at the recent threads, 'Lifts' and 'What building would you most like to take bulldozer too??'

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, Hi.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Napalm » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:57 pm

haha! Ive got a friend whose just finished the hnd there and another in her 2nd year in it, they both said i should do it. Maybe they wanted to drive me mad :)

Enjoying it so far tho ;)

hi!
Napalm
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:17 am

Sounds like it

Who are they called if you don't mind me asking??

I'll probably know or recognise their names.

I am missing the free film delveloping Lewis provided and all the banter ;-)

I am not missing Mathew's music though.

All 12 (or whatever it was) of Rolf Harris's versions of 'Stairway to heaven' - yes, including hte Elvis version!!
Lots of '80s music and many, many other and far worse attrocities............

It once sounded like hotel lift musak!

Neither am I missing the rush and crush in the darkroom for enlargers.
I started at Clydebank, and there were originally about 12 of us in total, so we always had the space we needed and enough enlargers to go round.
It was a bit of a shock when I arrived on the 12th floor, I can tell you!!

Have I already mentioned how crap the lifts were/are??

I'll probably be back doing night classes some time, but for the moment, I am just trying to recover from the emotional scarring of the 3 years, especially of Jimmy's Christmas decorations and all his other little singing things.
And those big fish that stuck to the side of the tank in his storeroom scared me also.

::):

In other words, I am missing the wretched place
(I thought I'd never see myself say that).
Last edited by Speedbird on Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)