INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Guys

This is my 1st posting in HGf but I do post in two other forums, a lot. I'm a retired guy but work full time in a local hotel. I wuz born in hyndland in the west end but moved to sunny govan when i was a bairn. My dad had a electrical and music shop in shaw street. Went to drumoyne primary then onto govan high (at the same time as alex ferguson) When i was about 12 my family moved to cardonald (posh in those days) and i stayed there until i got married in 74 and moved to bearsden (very posh in those days) Have nice wifey and 3 grown up kids now. Lived in England for about 10 years before moving up here to the black isle. I like blethering and have plenty of opinions so i look forward to being here

Cheers doug
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Doug,

What was the name of the shop in Shaw Street?

Are you on Urbanglasgow? Some shots of Govan Today http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/govan__o_t__t_1844.html

and some old ones here
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks dexter and what a great wee film. i didnt see Shaw street there however which is surprising as it had a big and well known bakery there and a large transport depot and engineering firm. My family business was "Jollys" which was long established and was well known for being one of only two music shops in govan, the other being the "govan music house" on govan road. Anyone buying records or sheet music would have known the shop. It was good to see so many other places i recognise
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the video

PS i think we have crossed swords a couple of times on GG dexter...am i right?
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Doug wrote:Thanks dexter and what a great wee film. i didnt see Shaw street there however which is surprising as it had a big and well known bakery there and a large transport depot and engineering firm. My family business was "Jollys" which was long established and was well known for being one of only two music shops in govan, the other being the "govan music house" on govan road. Anyone buying records or sheet music would have known the shop. It was good to see so many other places i recognise
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the video

PS i think we have crossed swords a couple of times on GG dexter...am i right?

This fella gives your shop a mention 13 lines from the bottom. Perhaps you remember an ex employee!

http://www.sunnygovan.com/RT/walk005.html
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Me? Cross swords on GG? It must be an imposter. The amount of PMs sent on this board suggest I'm a popular point of conversation.

Jollys sounds familiar and yes Govan Music House.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi GodsGift
Well done Sir. Yes that was my family firm but do i remember Bill Gillespie no, but there was a furniture retailer nearby called Gillespies and the Gillespie family was very close to my family so it is quite possible that this Bill Gillespie was a relation. Just recently i lost my father (103 years old) if he had still been here i could just have phoned him up and asked him...awe well such is life. once again many thanks for going to the trouble of finding this info out
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby David_s » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:51 am

David_S here. ex Springboiger now in Garrowhill. like trawling there pages - usually of a friday evening with a few beers :)
David_s
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Hello and welcome.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby presuming ed » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd say hi, I'm new to the forum. Have visited old friends in Glasgow several times in the past and always been very impressed both with the city itself and of course the people, always been made to feel very welcome!

Now there's a possibility that I might be able to move up to Glasgow with work, which I'm seriously considering. So I'll be bending your ears about where would be a good place to settle in town (shall save it for a new thread, maybe).

Have been enjoying reading through the forum over the last couple of days, and look forward to chatting with you and gleaning some good advice maybe!

Ed.
presuming ed
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby busdriver » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Welcome Ed,.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Welcome to HG Ed, Norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby smarty27 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Hello Everybody,

I am 57 years old, living in France, mother of 7 (now all adults) and fascinated about Scotland

Sorry for my bad English, I understand it more than I write it.

I am now writing a novel (in french) which takes place in Glasgow between 1957 and 1960. My "heroes" are
Teddy Boys and girls, who live in districts of Gorbals and Hutchesontown. It is not only stuff about Teds but a "slice" of life between 1958 and 1960 in the Gorbals.

Sure it's a fiction story who turns over the Rock and roll and around the working class.

Why dit I choice Glasgow?

Because I am born in an industrial area in Belgium, like Glasgow where the sky was red from the Funderies.
We did'nt have Teds in Belgium.

Through my book I try to translate my recognition and love of the Rockabilly and Rock and Roll and also respect the pride of the people living in the "poor districts". Myself, I was living in labor area district without confort and I was a happy child.

I would be very happy to illustrate my book with pictures from this time.

So, I should be happy if you could furnish me some pictures from this time (personals pictures with or without people) and if you authorize their publications ?

I am a novice writer, but I am "faithfull"

I thank you. Christine 'pseudo Smarty27'
smarty27
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby norman mcnamee » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi smarty27, welcome to hidden Glasgow
I may be able to help you with some Gorbals photos, mostly street scenes but I have one or two personal photos that I have been given over the years

Contact me via email

Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doug » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Christine and welcome to HG. Whilst this forum is a good starting of point for you I would also suggest you try another Glasgow forum which I use a lot and is excellent for finding the sort of information / photos you seek. Its called "Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards" Good Luck
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby urbainespion » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Hello all :)

I am originally from outwith Glasgow, but I have lived in Maryhill (more precisely North Kelvinside) and Easterhouse, and I currently reside in Calton.

I am a keen urban explorer and I have taken many a photo in some less than accessible places!

I have decided to join after lurking in delight for many years ::):
"Aut disce aut discede" Anon.

Project Hawick: http://projecthawick.forumatic.com/index.php
urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)