Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sylvia » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:55 pm

turbozutek wrote:Welcome Sylvia!

Tell us about yourself.

:-)

Chris...

Hi Chris :)

Born and bred in Glasgow and living now in suburbia.My interest in photography brought me here but I've not got time to pursue it now.I'm a bit of a boring old fart actually.Three kids in bed so this is MY time on the machine.Will that do? :wink:
Time waits for nobody.
Sylvia
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby turbozutek » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:23 am

Perfect!

:-)

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:51 am

Sylvia
Welcome to Hg.com
enjoy

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby thecatsmother » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:46 pm

Welcome Sylvia. I'm reading a book about Yoker just now, called "Both Sides of the Burn" It was published intitially in 1966, but re-issued by the Resource Centre in 2000. Really interesting if you're looking for info on the history of Yoker.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sylvia » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:50 pm

thecatsmother wrote:Welcome Sylvia. I'm reading a book about Yoker just now, called "Both Sides of the Burn" It was published intitially in 1966, but re-issued by the Resource Centre in 2000. Really interesting if you're looking for info on the history of Yoker.

Yes,I've got it.It was a remarkable achievement by the pupils in 1966 and well deserved a reprint.I was at the launch of the re-issue and enjoyed seeing James T. Imrie again.It was his brother Bill who was behind the book and according to James,Bill actually wrote a whole lot of the book himself.
Thanks for the welcome,btw. :)
Time waits for nobody.
Sylvia
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby putty shankleton » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:38 am

Hello, I'm Putty and I live in Glasgow. I do a few things but my main one is music and sound design.

Fantastic site, and fantastic pictures. Im interested in old buildings and old buses. :?

I feel that Glasgow has become something it isnt over the last 15 years. The buildings that our lovely council demolished could have been preserved and kept our distinctive look. (Edinburgh Council has its head screwed on in that respect)

Now all I see is crappy designs based on Milan and Barcelona.

And dont get me started on the buses :)
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Debs here

Postby deebers » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:33 pm

Hi folks!

Debs here... I used to run my own forum on Anne Rice but that no longer interests me. I am a graphic designer and am 30 years old.

I've found interest in more local things... and Glasgow is a fascinating place. I've decided that when friends from countries afar come to visit, I no longer wish to say, "There's nothing here, lets go to Edinburgh!".

I'm a member of the Friends of Britannia Panopticon, I've visited an old jailhouse in Bridgeton and I want to see more! I remember places like the Crazy House (and was delighted to see a thread on it here), and will soon be going to visit the site of "Glasgow's Forgotten Village", Grahamston. Also, did anyone else here visit "Grand Central" - the NVA project at the top of the Central Hotel a few years back?

It would be nice to chat with like-minded people here!

Please be gentle!
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:38 pm

Welcome to the site Debs.

I'm sure we'll all be gentle! 8O
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Debs here

Postby Ronnie » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:23 pm

deebers wrote:and will soon be going to visit the site of "Glasgow's Forgotten Village", Grahamston.

Hi Debs
You going on Norrie Gilliland's tour? If so, I'll see you there.
Best, Ronnie
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Hello there

Postby Closet Classicist » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:01 pm

Hello!

Been aware of your site for a while and have enjoyed browsing it immensely but only became aware of the forum bit recently. Wish I'd figured it out earlier as its great to come across a bunch of like minded people and I would have enjoyed helping out with the BLOCK architecture week submission for example. Anyway all about me: I am an architect, early 30s, trained in Glasgow at the Mac, though I am originally from Hong Kong. To be honest I fully intended to return home after college but made the somewhat life altering decision to stay after falling in love with a glaswegian and on the back of that with this great city. (Gag!) That was 9 years ago and I'm still here and we're still together. I knew a bit from college days about how much Glasgow had been through but its only since I've become involved in heritage issues that I've become to realise just what a fantastic heritage the city has and just how much has been lost through thoughtlessness. I'm proud to call it home. (cue more Gagging!) Anyway I'm now actively involved in quite alot both in heritage terms and in my day job as an architect in one of the Glasgow's better known firms. Certainly one of the jobs I'm involved in would radically alter the skyline of the city centre (thats a subtle hint that I'll leave you to figure out). I'm also involved in Doors Open Day and for the second year will be leading one of the tours through the city centre. Basically a walk down Buchanan street but branching off through St Vincent Place, Exchange Square, Gordon Street and Central Station before heading off back down Buchanan Street to St Enoch Square and the Clyde. I'll be outlining various items on the way i.e. bit of history, visionary things that didn't happen such as the proposal to rebuild the Caledonia Road Church at the top of Buchanan Street and hopefully if there is time the currently tabled proposal to transform Custom House Quay with a 20 storey tower amongst other things. It would be fantastic if some people from Hidden Glasgow came along.

Well thats all for now.

Hopefully now that I've figured this forum thing out you will be hearing from me more often! I do enjoy a good rant after all.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:17 pm

Good to have an architectural professional on board!

And there will be plenty more events like BLOCK that I am sure you could get involved in!

Enjoy the boards.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello there

Postby Ronnie » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:31 pm

Closet Classicist wrote:Certainly one of the jobs I'm involved in would radically alter the skyline of the city centre (thats a subtle hint that I'll leave you to figure out).

Might that be the tower on India Street?

I'm also involved in Doors Open Day and for the second year will be leading one of the tours through the city centre. Basically a walk down Buchanan street

And might you be Niall Murphy?

Welcome to the forums.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)