INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Introduce Yourself

Postby motman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:09 pm

Hello, I'm motman.
Left Govan in the early 70s (option 1 - work in Fairfields, option 2 - hit the road.... guess what option I took). Old member of new Glasgow Society, and New Govan Society - is the latter still in existence? Also remember trying to tidy up the Kelvin at Kelvinbridge for the Facelift Glasgow campaign (lot of good that done).
Anyway now live in the yuppy south next to Ashford Eurostar station. Paris 1h55min, Brussels 1h25min. But London 1h30 on a bad day.
Good stuff on this site - the power of the web unavailable to us old farts in the 70s. Good to read about the old Caledonian railway tunnels from Botanic Gardens to Glasgow Cross which I used to sneak down when I was at Hillhead.
Will try to post some piccies of old subway when I've got round to working out how to move from colour slide to digital format. I have around 100 of these taken in the late 60s when I used to make a nuisance of myself in the Car Sheds and around the stations.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:49 am
Location: Ashford, the Garden (aye right) of England

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby My Kitten » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:32 pm

motman wrote:Anyway now live in the yuppy south next to Ashford Eurostar station.


Welcome aboard motman!

Hmm yuppy south at Ashford eurostar station? Is this the same Eurostar station I know! :wink: ::):
User avatar
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6105
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:10 am

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby motman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:21 pm

My Kitten wrote:
motman wrote:Anyway now live in the yuppy south next to Ashford Eurostar station.


Welcome aboard motman!

Hmm yuppy south at Ashford eurostar station? Is this the same Eurostar station I know! :wink: ::):


Depends what you know. If you know a town whose ring road strangles it, an international station with a carpark that lights up all of the houses around, town hall with a nuclear bunker underneath, love affair with shopping centres that take 10 years to happen. Also the location of the deputy Dear Leader's plans to build another 30000 houses (on known flood plains), locally known as Trashford..... then you're in the right place. :roll:
But it's a good springboard into Europe.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:49 am
Location: Ashford, the Garden (aye right) of England

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby My Kitten » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:15 pm

motman wrote:
My Kitten wrote:
motman wrote:Anyway now live in the yuppy south next to Ashford Eurostar station.


Welcome aboard motman!

Hmm yuppy south at Ashford eurostar station? Is this the same Eurostar station I know! :wink: ::):


Depends what you know. If you know a town whose ring road strangles it, an international station with a carpark that lights up all of the houses around, town hall with a nuclear bunker underneath, love affair with shopping centres that take 10 years to happen. Also the location of the deputy Dear Leader's plans to build another 30000 houses (on known flood plains), locally known as Trashford..... then you're in the right place. :roll:
But it's a good springboard into Europe.


Yup thats the one I know :roll: Well passed through on the train.
User avatar
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6105
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:10 am

Postby greywolf45 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:05 am

Hello everyone. Sorry to be gone for so long. Personal, and health problems have kept me from posting up till now. But it is good to be back here amongst you.
User avatar
greywolf45
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:21 am
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Postby dazed_and_confused » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:28 pm

Welcome back then, and Happy new year to you! :D
I can't believe we drank the whole thing!
User avatar
dazed_and_confused
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Manchester

introduce myself

Postby the loaf » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:15 pm

hi, my name is alan but everyone calls me the loaf due to my past resemblance to the american crooner meatloaf but that was 8 stone of fat and 1 stone of hair ago but alas the nickname stood.
i lived in glasgow for nearly 2 years between 1998 and 2000 for "lurve" purposes,that relationship died but my love for your city never did.
so much so that im thinking of jacking it all in "dahn sarf", and starting over afresh.
love the site by the way,i`ll keep you posted of my progress northwards.
the loaf
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:08 pm
Location: london

Re: introduce myself

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:23 pm

the loaf wrote:hi, my name is alan but everyone calls me the loaf due to my past resemblance to the american crooner meatloaf but that was 8 stone of fat and 1 stone of hair ago but alas the nickname stood.
i lived in glasgow for nearly 2 years between 1998 and 2000 for "lurve" purposes,that relationship died but my love for your city never did.
so much so that im thinking of jacking it all in "dahn sarf", and starting over afresh.
love the site by the way,i`ll keep you posted of my progress northwards.


Welcome alan/loaf. Good to see the "lurve" journey travels up here and not only down to london. Come on, move back!!!
User avatar
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6105
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:10 am

hullo there

Postby oorwullie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:22 pm

great site with some fine pictures, just the thing for winter entertainment.

i grew up in shawlands,8 ellangowan road in the 50's and 5 st.ronans drive in the 60's.

been living in switzerland since the late 70's and haven't actually been in scotland at all for 10 years.

i'm particularly looking for any pics/info on the jazz scene and waverley cruises from the 50's through to the beginning of the nineties. cheers,


dave

Image
oorwullie
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:51 pm
Location: once upon a time shawlands now switzerland

very sorry!!!

Postby blackhack » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:06 am

not a good start
blackhack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:07 am
Location: the bright side of town

Re: very sorry!!!

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 am

blackhack wrote:not a good start


Not to worry. You should see some of the howlers [xxxx] has made.

[Name removed at the insistence of the management]
User avatar
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1983
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:22 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:39 am

Hi to everyone

I am Alex Glass a Councillor on Glasgow City Council. I am interested in hearing and reading the views of people interested in Glasgow and this site certainly has lots to offer.

I was born in the Cowcaddens area and moved to Ruchazie as part of the slum clearances in the 1960's. I left Glasgow for a couple of years and returned to live in the Southside.

As a member of the Council's Planning Committee I take responsibility for some of the decisions in recent years that may have upset some people and would be happy to discuss my views with anyone interested in listening.

I look forward to finding out more about this fantastic site.
User avatar
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Sharon » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:11 am

Hi Alex, welcome to HG.

I'm sure if you have read through these forums at all you will have seen many, many people screaming with frustration and mystification at some planning decisions!!

(ok and occassionally going - yes, you got it right)

It will be interesting to have your input.
User avatar
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7492
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:30 am
Location: Galloway

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:11 am

Good morning and welcome to HG Mr Glass!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will say that I hope theres more you can offer other than the "politics, planning" stuff, given your experience.

I imagine that you may come in for a bit of a rough ride on some things but at least now HG has a member of GCC that will answer things directly.

I'm pleased to say that you are my councillor, we have had correspondence in the past when I wrote to you regarding a matter last year, your response was quick and the matter was undertaken.
Cheers!

Oh, and as my councillor, I'll be keeping note of how much time you spend posting things. :wink:

Welcome once again.
User avatar
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Fossil » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:25 am

welcome to HG

Al G
Image
Fossil
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12310
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests