Worst town in Scotland?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Worst town in Scotland?

Postby Autolycus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Josef wrote:I'm suspecting you may just have phrased that badly, A - I well remember one of my early, innocently intended, posts to this site on immigration to Glasgow meeting with an, er, wary response from one of the HG mods.

The implication would appear to be that there are areas of Glasgow where African immigrants are in the majority. Which is, clearly, not the case.

I can see why my comment might have been misconstrued. My intention was to point out that, despite a previous comment, the folk aren't still just Glesga folk and I'm certainly not suggesting the immigration Glasgow has seen over the years is a wholly bad thing.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Autolycus wrote:I can't speak for Possil, Springburn or the New Gorbals but in parts of Glasgow it seems more certain you'll encounter 'New' Glaswegians more likely to have come from Senegal or the Gambia than Scotstoun or Govan.

They add to the diversity of the city. I think it's fantastic that a family of Romanians (par example) can pitch up in a suburb and be welcomed open arms and enjoy the beauty Glasgow has to offer, they get to experience the glory for which we all stand for and get to enjoy life sharing it with other Glaswegians. Those Glaswegians include the zombies, alcies and far more that all of the UK's cities offer to visiting members of the EU and beyond.

I live by Galston in Ayrshire which has a shite reputation, however a simple scout of the town quickly shows the pikey scheme is just a small bit and place the actually has some very nice features.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 pm

So near, and yet, so far.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:27 pm

'Pitch up and be welcomed' has a bit of spin aroma about it. Reality on the ground is somewhat different.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)