Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:54 pm

McShad wrote:That would be the Morgan Spiced coaches.

You would need to whack yirsel ower the napper wi the boatle tae appreciate it ah guess.
User avatar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8922
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:58 pm

I searched for this first - honest...

Anybody remember the Underground Experience about 16 years ago? After the normal service had stopped for the night there was a special 'Experience' service. It ran round and round - I think the windows were blanked out so you got the impression of a linear experience rather than a circular one - and stopped every now and again at a different station where there was a show being staged. Kind of abstract, offbeat things.

I think it was only on for two nights, but it was a great idea.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:24 pm

Postby Simba » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 pm

Been asked to post here...

One time (March 05) my brother and I were coming back from the SECC (we went to see Kylie!) and we managed to get off the train at Partick before the subway closed. The wee wifey at the ticket office was all for not letting us through as 'the last train had left Govan'. We smiled sweetly and let us through the gate (me for free, I just flashed my multijourney ticket!) but this was at the time that they were doing the escalators up down to the platform, so we had to run along in the Inner Circle platform, up through the fire exit door over the tunnels, and back down to the Outer Circle. That was the first time I'd really thought about where the fire exits were in the subway!!
User avatar
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:28 am

Postby Simba » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Why are the trains going slow between Kelvinbridge and St George's Cross just now? One train I was on yesterday I thought was going to break down, as every time it tried to accelerate it just jerked forward, then had to start again, and took ages to get to the station. The second one they did an announcement saying that we'd be travelling to St G X at reduced speed, sorry for any inconvenience.

I was a bit apprehensive on the first journey as last week a train had stopped briefly in a tunnel!
User avatar
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:28 am

Postby tobester » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:29 pm

i used to notice that when i got the underground from partick to st geaorges x for the fo9otball, is it possibly something to do with the dip and bend before st georges? or is that between st g and coocaddens?
User avatar
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Parbold

Postby Simba » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:31 pm

No, it always goes a wee bit slower between Cowcaddens and Buchanan Street, but this was REALLY slow.

Something else I noticed yesterday afternoon was the frequency of the trains was really high around half 4/5 - every station from Hillhead to Buchanan Street a train passed - they must have been running about every two minutes for that to happen.
User avatar
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:28 am

Postby glasgowken » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:15 pm

Errm.. did we do a count before leaving on Sunday ? Did the train feel as if it was running over something ? :?
GK
User avatar
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4477
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Glasgow

Postby McShad » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:41 pm

I was talking to AlanM about this today.... there is an increased amount of go slow spots just recently. During the week the train almost stopped between Kelvinbridge and Hillhead and there has been a slow spot between Shields Road and Kinning Park for a good while now. And just this evening, a new go very very slow spot between West street and Shields Road... slow enough to see chalk markings on the wall with indications where to start (possible track repair/renewal)
From an educated guess, the trains jerk so much because the electric engines are either one or off and can't adapt to travel at a slow continued speed... they have a designed speed to travel at.
Oh, and the train I got from Ibrox this morning almost did'nt make the station.... the last door was open to the tunnel ::):

P.S. When are the new signs coming into affect? I saw the outer circle sign working one sunday afternoon but they've reverted back to the 'sign under test'
User avatar
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Ibrox, Glasgow

Postby McShad » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:42 pm

Simba wrote:Something else I noticed yesterday afternoon was the frequency of the trains was really high around half 4/5 - every station from Hillhead to Buchanan Street a train passed - they must have been running about every two minutes for that to happen.


Extra trains to cater for the christmas shoppers? The town traffic was still total bedlam between 7 and 8 this evening
User avatar
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Ibrox, Glasgow

Postby Simba » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:00 pm

McShad wrote:I was talking to AlanM about this today.... there is an increased amount of go slow spots just recently. During the week the train almost stopped between Kelvinbridge and Hillhead and there has been a slow spot between Shields Road and Kinning Park for a good while now. And just this evening, a new go very very slow spot between West street and Shields Road... slow enough to see chalk markings on the wall with indications where to start (possible track repair/renewal)
From an educated guess, the trains jerk so much because the electric engines are either one or off and can't adapt to travel at a slow continued speed... they have a designed speed to travel at.
Oh, and the train I got from Ibrox this morning almost did'nt make the station.... the last door was open to the tunnel ::):

P.S. When are the new signs coming into affect? I saw the outer circle sign working one sunday afternoon but they've reverted back to the 'sign under test'


They were working last Saturday (?) - they had the frequency of the trains up. I wonder if you were on the same train as me that nearly stopped, think it was between Kelvinbridge and Hillhead, either last Saturday or else Monday?
User avatar
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:28 am

Postby Josef » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:02 pm

McShad wrote:
Simba wrote:Something else I noticed yesterday afternoon was the frequency of the trains was really high around half 4/5 - every station from Hillhead to Buchanan Street a train passed - they must have been running about every two minutes for that to happen.


Extra trains to cater for the christmas shoppers? The town traffic was still total bedlam between 7 and 8 this evening


Is it the case that the two are connected, i.e. if there is a small gap between the trains and a high volume of shoppers, then a slightly longer loading time for the train in front means a go-slow for the one behind and so on?
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Postby Flyingscot » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:51 am

Josef wrote:
McShad wrote:
Simba wrote:Something else I noticed yesterday afternoon was the frequency of the trains was really high around half 4/5 - every station from Hillhead to Buchanan Street a train passed - they must have been running about every two minutes for that to happen.


Extra trains to cater for the christmas shoppers? The town traffic was still total bedlam between 7 and 8 this evening


Is it the case that the two are connected, i.e. if there is a small gap between the trains and a high volume of shoppers, then a slightly longer loading time for the train in front means a go-slow for the one behind and so on?


Yeah but trains shouldn't leave the stations till one ahead is empty IIRC?
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: South-Side

Postby Blueboy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:13 am

Are there speed restrictions around Shields Road/West Street at the moment? The driver today was slowing it right down heading towards Ibrox today..

<edit>

Oops just read the whole thread :oops: :oops:
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:31 pm

Postby dave2 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:19 am

Last thursday night, the trains were crawling from Hillhead - St Georges Cross, and there seemed to be a lot of water in the Hillhead-Kelivinbridge section - pouring down the walls of tunnel and outside of train.

I imagine this could cause slippy rails and decreased adhesion, hence problems with braking?
User avatar
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:03 am
Location: Home, or Uni, or Work

Postby MotoMad » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:23 am

It must be some effort to keep the kelvin from seeping into the tunnels
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 12:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron