Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby MotoMad » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:10 pm

crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:17 pm

motman wrote:
MotoMad wrote:
Mori wrote:http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7025768.html

Look no hands

AS THE gleaming new Subway train pulls quietly into Buchanan Street station, passengers on the platform are shocked to see no driver in the cab.

A few passengers standing near the cab peer through its window - but all they can see is an on-board computer.

It is busy "talking" to the main computer in the Subway's central control room, relaying information on the train's progress through the system - it's running bang on time.

This futuristic vision could become a reality for Glasgow's troubled Subway, the third oldest underground system in the world.

THE city's troubled Subway network could be totally overhauled, with automated trains costing millions of pounds

never gonnae happen,same as everything spt says is happening :D

Your soooo right MotoMad. But I fear it is a psychological one in the UK as people do not feel comfortable with driverless trains/trams, although the DLR in London is a remarkable exception, possible because it is mainly an overground system.
The 1967 tube stock on the Victoria Line in London has the same basic control system, with the driver merely closing the doors and starting the train. For political reasons it was seen as the top driving job on the network and paid the most money. To this day there is no reason why a very simple change to the circuitry could not dispense with the driver completely, but it has never happened and is unlikely to happen (after 30 years) . The 1972mk2 tube stock (originally Northern Line, then Jubilee line)was also wired up for ATO - the control boxes were never fitted.

Skytrain in Vancouver has been running since at least 1986, and was driverless from the beginning. As far as I know there have been no accidents.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:53 pm

retired tiger wrote:
motman wrote:
MotoMad wrote:
Mori wrote:http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7025768.html

Look no hands

AS THE gleaming new Subway train pulls quietly into Buchanan Street station, passengers on the platform are shocked to see no driver in the cab.

A few passengers standing near the cab peer through its window - but all they can see is an on-board computer.

It is busy "talking" to the main computer in the Subway's central control room, relaying information on the train's progress through the system - it's running bang on time.

This futuristic vision could become a reality for Glasgow's troubled Subway, the third oldest underground system in the world.

never gonnae happen,same as everything spt says is happening :D

Your soooo right MotoMad. But I fear it is a psychological one in the UK as people do not feel comfortable with driverless trains/trams, although the DLR in London is a remarkable exception, possible because it is mainly an overground system.
The 1967 tube stock on the Victoria Line in London has the same basic control system, with the driver merely closing the doors and starting the train. For political reasons it was seen as the top driving job on the network and paid the most money. To this day there is no reason why a very simple change to the circuitry could not dispense with the driver completely, but it has never happened and is unlikely to happen (after 30 years) . The 1972mk2 tube stock (originally Northern Line, then Jubilee line)was also wired up for ATO - the control boxes were never fitted.

Skytrain in Vancouver has been running since at least 1986, and was driverless from the beginning. As far as I know there have been no accidents.

True enough Tiger, and there are many examples around Europe of driverless systems with impressive safety records. But it seems like we don't like to go down that road in this country.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:11 pm

You hear tales of people being hit by Tube trains in London. Is it common here?

Also, does anyone else suffer from serious steamed glasses at St. Georges X station. The Subway station, not the zeppelin station.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby tobester » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 pm

I used to FMS when i used it to go home from Firhill.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:34 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:Also, does anyone else suffer from serious steamed glasses at St. Georges X station.

I do, and for some reason it always seems worse at St. George's Cross than at other stations.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:19 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:You hear tales of people being hit by Tube trains in London. Is it common here?

I don't know how common it is here but some guy was hit by a train today at St Enochs, as noted here on the BBC Glasgow News pages
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:21 pm

The bloke at Cowcaddens usually says 'Sorry, sir, I can't sell you a ticket. You're steaming'.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:43 pm

I think they should consider an overhaul of the exterior of Cowcaddens, St Georges X and any other stations which sit on their own. I would retain the orange and the nice friendly fonts of the name, but go kick-ass futuristic.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:45 pm

Good shout. All that beige and orange is a little too 70s for me. And don't get me started on the plastic.....
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:47 pm

It's so typical; reopen it in '80 or '81 but make it look 1978. It's so Ally MacLeod.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:48 pm

Well, at the time i'm sure they were at the forefront of industrial design.

They're just not Mock Tudor enough for the average punter today.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:22 am

Did they guy survive?

Must be a bummer when you try top yourself and survive
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:59 am

Aye , major leg injuries but he survived, aye it must be a total gutter when u canny even top yerself right :?
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:15 am

viceroy wrote:
Field Marshall Shug wrote:Also, does anyone else suffer from serious steamed glasses at St. Georges X station.

I do, and for some reason it always seems worse at St. George's Cross than at other stations.

Use a wee drop of anti fog spray, it works well. I got it from HG's favourite.... Bike Sorce :-) It's expensive, but a wee bottle will last for years.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)