Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Subway today

Postby Mori » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:36 am

ET

Stop bouncing on Subway... it’s dangerous

RANGERS fans have been warned the Subway will be shutdown on Ibrox match days - unless they stop bouncing up and down in the carriages.

Transport bosses fear dozens of supporters doing the bouncy' inside trains could spark a derailment.

Now Strathclyde Partnership for Transport has appealed to the club to help them prevent a serious accident on the underground.

The boisterous celebrations take place before and after games as fans travel from the city centre to the South Side.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby glasgowken » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 pm

I bet it could happen, they're only wee.

tobester wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:
tobester wrote:First seem to have improved their services

Other than on the 62 I got home - someone had puked up the back and they continued to run the bus back to the garage rather than taking it off immediately. Yuck.

Not used the 62 in ages AD, i usually use the 61 or 18 (altho the 40 at night is a ned express)

Too true, I refuse to use the 40 now :|
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:08 pm

I find that it's normally closed whenever I want to get somewhere. If I need the Inner Circle, it's closed. If i want the outer...you get the general idea!
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:19 pm

Mori wrote:ET

Stop bouncing on Subway... it’s dangerous

RANGERS fans have been warned the Subway will be shutdown on Ibrox match days - unless they stop bouncing up and down in the carriages.

Transport bosses fear dozens of supporters doing the bouncy' inside trains could spark a derailment.

Now Strathclyde Partnership for Transport has appealed to the club to help them prevent a serious accident on the underground.

The boisterous celebrations take place before and after games as fans travel from the city centre to the South Side.

Personally if they keep doing it id close Govan, Ibrox and Cessnock stations on a sat from 1300-18.30 that might stop them doing it, but then again im a bitter Jags Fan ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:34 pm

East End Subway link is a done deal before 2014 Games

PLANS for a multi-million extension of Glasgow's Subway system into the East End are firmly on track.

A site beside Celtic Park has already been identified as a possible new station for the link
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Mori wrote:East End Subway link is a done deal before 2014 Games

PLANS for a multi-million extension of Glasgow's Subway system into the East End are firmly on track.

A site beside Celtic Park has already been identified as a possible new station for the link

Does Glasgow's Subway really need a £multi-million extension?

It looks as if the existing Dalmuir - Motherwell line passes fairly close to Scotstoun Showground, the SECC complex, Bridgeton/ Dalmarnock for the Celtic Park/ Glasgow Green stuff and on out to Bellshill/ Motherwell for the Strathy Park events.

Would a few new stations not suffice?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:25 pm

You're such a curmudgeon Onny.

My answer, to your question, would be yes. Emphatically yes. i think what the article is suggesting is the use of the existing low-level line then utilising the abandoned London Rd tunnel to take it up to Parkhead. Now, I don't have the figures, but I imagine the cost:benefit ratio of this project will make it one of the most viable such proposals in the UK - including London.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:36 pm

crusty_bint wrote:You're such a curmudgeon Onny.

My answer, to your question, would be yes. Emphatically yes. i think what the article is suggesting is the use of the existing low-level line then utilising the abandoned London Rd tunnel to take it up to Parkhead. Now, I don't have the figures, but I imagine the cost:benefit ratio of this project will make it one of the most viable such proposals in the UK - including London.

Is that a yes to 'do we need loadsa dosh spent?' or a yes to 'wouldn't a few new stations be enough?'
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:40 pm

ok neither of those. my answer is to these questions: is it worthwhile? is it worth the money? is it worth the hassle? will it provide for the future? will it benefit the east end and in turn the whole city which in turn benefits the whole of Scotland?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:49 pm

crusty_bint wrote:ok neither of those. my answer is to these questions: is it worthwhile? is it worth the money? is it worth the hassle? will it provide for the future? will it benefit the east end and in turn the whole city which in turn benefits the whole of Scotland?

Can we really answer those questions when, as you say above, you don't have the figures.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:50 pm

Is it fair to be asking any of these questions without the figures?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:57 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Is it fair to be asking any of these questions without the figures?

Possibly not, but it didn't stop you asking them.

My question is not 'is this worth the money?'; it's 'does this need to be done at all?'
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:58 pm

and my answer was an emphatic yes.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:59 pm

crusty_bint wrote:and my answer was an emphatic yes.

Need? Really need?

What's wrong with a few, strategically sited, extra stations?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Parkhead is already one of the best-served areas in the city for public transport. For the scheme to make sense, it would have to attract new custom, otherwise it would just be robbing the bus Peter to pay the train Paul. This might be slightly worrying to people living further along the bus routes than Parkhead, since there is the risk that falling custom on the buses would result in cutting the frequency of some of the services, thus having a neutral effect on Parkhead but an actual negative one on the East End as a whole.

As Crusty says though, the article appears to suggest the use of the existing low-level line then utilising the abandoned London Rd tunnel to take it up to Parkhead. Most of this functionality is already in use - change at Partick - and it probably wouldn't be that expensive to reopen the Parkhead leg. I presume that there would continue to be a change of trains under the extension proposal; if not, there would be a lot of unhappy bunnies amongst existing users who would have twenty-odd minutes whacked on to their journey time depending on which circle was cancelled that day (yes, yes, I know - indulge me the odd bit of cynicism).

Trains - far more so than buses - attract the middle classes, and might be helpful in attracting said folks to the area and raising the local income profile in the process. This might also fit in with whatever is planned for White Elephant-ville after 2014.

As Onny says, re-opening the odd station in the area would be good - one next to the Forge, say (if the rail line across Duke St at the Forge is still open - I can't remember :oops: ).

It might be nice, too, if the Underground proposals resulted in the Sunday hours becoming late 20th Century compliant, never mind 21st - 6:30 is a bit of a joke. Particularly as this appears to be the time by which the drivers have to be home for their tea rather than the last boarding time. It's not the first time that I've been kicked out at Govan at 5:50 and had to walk the rest of the way home.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)