Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby tobester » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Its an idea Dave, but sometimes i find announcements on the trains hard to understand and possibly some drivers might be uncomfortable using the PA this way.

I know in my job i came across a lotta people who hated using the PA.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Ally Doll wrote:They've just fitted screens with the time to the next train, both on platforms and next to ticket desks.

Yes They are there but IMO not always accurate, Today for example I arrived at Govan to use either circle for the City Centre and following the displays went down to the Outer Circle as it told me there was a train approaching, When I got to the bottom the train had closed it's doors and left, It only took me all of 10 seconds to get down the escalator but it was already there and gone in the 15-20 seconds since I put my ticket in the barrier.

Also there was a train waiting at the Inner Circle which was not announced also the next train times were wrong too as it said both lines had a 6 minute wait time between trains but the inner circle display changed from 6 to 3 mins then train approaching within about 2 mins while I sat on the outer circle for about 10 minutes. :?

Sorry for the rant but I have only just started to use the underground regularly again and am probably being too cynical. :oops:
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:23 pm

'Train approaching' generally means "It's here". I'm a bit surprised that you missed it at Govan though; that's usually where they hang around for five minutes for no obvious reason (although they do swap drivers there too).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:55 pm

dave2 wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
Mori wrote:Actualy you are very right to point these issues out onny.

SPT should be looking at all the rights of the deaf, blind, disabled.

Flat screen panels with all the information should be instaled on all platforms and foyers for the deaf definetely as well as for the general public to point out the service status, for the blind the Pa sytem would be ample (i would think ) but instaled internaly in the trains with a station arrival anouncement broadcast.

with the railways adapting to these srvices i dont see why SPT shouldnt be spending funds to make the subways universe for easy travel information.

Sorry if i was a bit tounge and cheek with my original post of bluetooth connection in hearing aids.

Mori

No problem at all.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about the needs of the D/deaf world, possibly because they 'look normal'.

I'm told there's even a bit in English Building Regs which states that flashing beacons should be provided in disabled toilets to provide fire alarm warning for D/deaf people.

Why would a D/deaf person use a disabled toilet?

Because the physcialy disabled might be D/deaf as well. i take your point though, that beacons should be in all public toilets fr that reason.

The problem with that scenario is that a goodly number of D/deaf (and hard of hearing) people suffer from Usher's Syndrome and won't see a beacon unless it's placed directly in their line of sight.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 pm

tobester wrote:Its an idea Dave, but sometimes i find announcements on the trains hard to understand and possibly some drivers might be uncomfortable using the PA this way.

You could quite easily have (for £530,000) a system with prerecorded announcements which could be activated by track sensors or just 15 buttons and the driver just presses the appropriate one. the announcement could be played after leaving the previous station.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:21 pm

dave2 wrote:
tobester wrote:Its an idea Dave, but sometimes i find announcements on the trains hard to understand and possibly some drivers might be uncomfortable using the PA this way.

You could quite easily have (for £530,000) a system with prerecorded announcements which could be activated by track sensors or just 15 buttons and the driver just presses the appropriate one. the announcement could be played after leaving the previous station.

That's fine as far as it goes but how might it communicate (hopefully not too frequent) yet none the less vital emergency messages?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:40 pm

Such a system would have a microphone over-ride....well for £530k it should do - like in store 'radio' in a supermarket - the microphone overrides the prerecorded announcements always.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Only issue you might have is that the 'drivers' might not want to have to press a button to indicate the next stop, after all its hard enough to get them to work late nights, hench the bus services 701/711
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 pm

dave2 wrote:Such a system would have a microphone over-ride....well for £530k it should do - like in store 'radio' in a supermarket - the microphone overrides the prerecorded announcements always.

And D/deaf people would benefit from this in what way?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:51 pm

Hence the system could be triggered by track sensors art the end of each station.....
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 pm

dave2 wrote:Hence the system could be triggered by track sensors art the end of each station.....

and would play a video in BSL?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:55 pm

The systems being held together just now by the staff i feel.

How do they get away with having NO disabled access btw?
Only disabled friendly thing ive seen on the subway is when
im issued wth my ticket im asked if i need a hand down the stairs.
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:08 am

MotoMad wrote:The systems being held together just now by the staff i feel.

How do they get away with having NO disabled access btw?
Only disabled friendly thing ive seen on the subway is when
im issued wth my ticket im asked if i need a hand down the stairs.

The days before political correctness and the cost identified for putting in lifts.

Kelvinbridge had a lift but it was removed.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 am

An alleged electrical fault at Cowcaddens but the stops on the outer circle this morning. The train came into Partick station, everyone got on, an announcer (on the train tannoy by the way!) told us about the problem and we all had to get off and run over to the other platform. Then, we stopped at Kinning Park for a good five minutes.

Loads of bamboozled Americans in my carriage. Our subway system is an embarrasment. :roll:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:43 am

Ally Doll wrote:An alleged electrical fault at Cowcaddens but the stops on the outer circle this morning. The train came into Partick station, everyone got on, an announcer (on the train tannoy by the way!) told us about the problem and we all had to get off and run over to the other platform. Then, we stopped at Kinning Park for a good five minutes.

Loads of bamboozled Americans in my carriage. Our subway system is an embarrasment. :roll:

I dunno about that. I use the subway 4-5 times a week and have never had a problem (touch wood). Same on the much maligned Glw-Edin train. 1-2 times a week. Always on time, always find a seat.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)