Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby dazza » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:55 am

I've been using the Subway for years and there's always been many an occassion where you feel you would be quicker jumping out and walking. Dunno' why it happens, although avoiding the trains ahead of them on the system seems the most likely reason.
dazza
-
-

subway speed

Postby shug » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:06 pm

The reason the subway slows down between Cowcaddens and Buchanan Street is because the track is supported by blocks of wood !

Piece about it in the Evening Times a few years back
shug
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby MotoMad » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:38 pm

8O wit! ffs,thats shocking if its true ::): mon eh wood lice
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:24 pm

I remember that article and all the fuss

all over nothing.... what are sleepers made of?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:56 pm

McShad wrote:I remember that article and all the fuss

all over nothing.... what are sleepers made of?

These days, usually concrete, though the Glasgow subway, since modernisation,
has a concrete base supporting the track. No sleepers at all any more.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:57 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7025768.html

Look no hands

AS THE gleaming new Subway train pulls quietly into Buchanan Street station, passengers on the platform are shocked to see no driver in the cab.

A few passengers standing near the cab peer through its window - but all they can see is an on-board computer.

It is busy "talking" to the main computer in the Subway's central control room, relaying information on the train's progress through the system - it's running bang on time.

This futuristic vision could become a reality for Glasgow's troubled Subway, the third oldest underground system in the world.

THE city's troubled Subway network could be totally overhauled, with automated trains costing millions of pounds
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:13 pm

James..

Strangely enough there are wooden sleepers (Jarrah wood I think - very heavy and hard) supporting the six sets of points in the tunnels at Govan, although they're concreted in, flush with the surface.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:08 pm

Mori wrote:http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7025768.html

Look no hands

AS THE gleaming new Subway train pulls quietly into Buchanan Street station, passengers on the platform are shocked to see no driver in the cab.

A few passengers standing near the cab peer through its window - but all they can see is an on-board computer.

It is busy "talking" to the main computer in the Subway's central control room, relaying information on the train's progress through the system - it's running bang on time.

This futuristic vision could become a reality for Glasgow's troubled Subway, the third oldest underground system in the world.

THE city's troubled Subway network could be totally overhauled, with automated trains costing millions of pounds

never gonnae happen,same as everything spt says is happening :D
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: subway speed

Postby motman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:14 pm

shug wrote:The reason the subway slows down between Cowcaddens and Buchanan Street is because the track is supported by blocks of wood !

Piece about it in the Evening Times a few years back

There is a nasty bend leaving Coocaddens - the tunnels follow the road above - with checkrails (which accounts for the change in noise as the train passes over them). Wayleave wasn't payable under public highways, hence the tunnel surveyors decided on a route which followed the roads above as much as possible - i.e. Buchanan Street, Gt Western Road, Scotland Street, Dumbarton Road, and was also easier for cut&cover construction. In the old days the drivers would just crawl through the section, but the ATO system now accelerates when leaving the station on the Outer Circle, then almost instantly slows down before the bend. It's less noticeable on the Inner.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:33 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Has anyone seen the god awful fabric in one of the coaches, the seat is dark orange with a black design & the back has the opposite configuration, its truly fekkin horible :twisted:

McShad wrote:That would be the Morgan Spiced coaches. There was 3 of them originally, re-upholstered for the sake of a couple of weeks advert. I think the outsides out the train we're covered in black too. And the entrance to the tunnels in each station had slogans such as 'Theres a presence coming'

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:54 pm

I quite like that :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:14 am

MotoMad wrote:
Mori wrote:http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7025768.html

Look no hands

never gonnae happen,same as everything spt says is happening :D

Your soooo right MotoMad. But I fear it is a psychological one in the UK as people do not feel comfortable with driverless trains/trams, although the DLR in London is a remarkable exception, possible because it is mainly an overground system.
The 1967 tube stock on the Victoria Line in London has the same basic control system, with the driver merely closing the doors and starting the train. For political reasons it was seen as the top driving job on the network and paid the most money. To this day there is no reason why a very simple change to the circuitry could not dispense with the driver completely, but it has never happened and is unlikely to happen (after 30 years) . The 1972mk2 tube stock (originally Northern Line, then Jubilee line)was also wired up for ATO - the control boxes were never fitted.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:04 pm

Both circles have been suspended in the last half hour, someones been hit by a train at st enoch station.just on clyde one there
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby little lane » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Yeah, just heard that too, straight on here to find out about it!
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby little lane » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Ooh, just thought about what I wrote there....on here to find out about detauils like how long the subway will be off, one circle or two etc not for gruesome details or anything!!!

Sorry if it sounded bad!
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)