Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Subway today

Postby allyharp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:38 pm

The inner circle was closed off today for a few hours, so a lot of people ended up going the long way round on the outer circle. Anyone know why?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:09 pm

It happens all the time. My public transport gripe of the day is i got the 66 bus at St Vincent Street and it terminated at Renfrew Street!! Since when did it do that? Why did the bastarding bus driver let me pay full fare just to go a few yards? Khant!
dazza
-
-

Postby allyharp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:32 pm

dazzababes wrote:It happens all the time. My public transport gripe of the day is i got the 66 bus at St Vincent Street and it terminated at Renfrew Street!! Since when did it do that? Why did the bastarding bus driver let me pay full fare just to go a few yards? Khant!

Hardly use the sub so didn't know this wasn't unusual. That bus driver sounds a bit of an arse though. :?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacKenzie79 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:20 pm

It was something to do with a broken track. I asked the guy at Hillhead station.
MacKenzie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:39 pm

I was on the subway for the first time in months today.

Didn't notice any disruption at 3.30pm.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 pm

Gawd we'd have threads left, right and centre everytime the subway was shut.

Didn't you know its cos they put the kettle on??
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 am

I'm going to create a thread for every bus or train cancelled
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:47 am

dazzababes wrote:It happens all the time. My public transport gripe of the day is i got the 66 bus at St Vincent Street and it terminated at Renfrew Street!! Since when did it do that? Why did the bastarding bus driver let me pay full fare just to go a few yards? Khant!

First probably charge full fare for a few yards. IIRC from working in EK, the 66 often has a lot of runs from Clarkston-City only. Probably got that one.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:00 pm

More fun today when I was going to and from a meeting. As us subway regulars know, the inept management have contrived a situation whereby only one (static) escalator is in use for both descending and ascending travellers at St Enochs underground for some months now.

There's a lack of ongoing stewarding or supervision of this potentially dangerous scenario. So we now have members of the dopey-selfish brigade pushing their way down the single escalator as the crowds are coming up from the just departing train. :roll: Is it beyond the ken of the management to at least put up a notice in the abence of stewarding (rhetorical question). Given the standard of English they normally use, the sign could read something like:

Dear diddy-numpty, the fact that a large crowd of travellers is coming up the escalator means you have already missed the departing train. Therefore there is really no point in barging you're way down through the crowd and pushing that auld wummin or that wee lassie to the side. Just be patient, there's another one along in a very short wee while.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:36 pm

I've been on the subway for past few days out of sheer boredom and starting college later in the morning
first time i went all the way round , noticed a wee guy at the crossovers when the trains were running! lolol
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:18 pm

Most of the time people do wait at the top for the upcoming traffic to clear. Personally I would have stoped right infront of them.

Whats worse is Buchanan Street at the rush hour... all the yuppie types heading for their £1100 a month studio apartment in Hillhead. I'm often coming into town at the point and when I get off their, I often have to side step people pushing onto the train... even infront of the platform marshall. Whatever happened to letting people off first? If I'm in a bad mood, I'll walk straight into people and remind them about common curtisy!
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:27 pm

McShad wrote:.. all the yuppie types.....

thats so 80's ::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:31 pm

McShad wrote:I often have to side step people pushing onto the train... even infront of the platform marshall. Whatever happened to letting people off first? If I'm in a bad mood, I'll walk straight into people and remind them about common curtisy!

I don't use the subway - is a platform marshall what I think it is? Do they employ someone to usher people on to the wee trains?

By the way, I love walking into people too. The best bit is walking down Union St and they all come barging down the Union St steps from Central Station like they own the joint. 'Fraid not pal, I'm already on the pavement therefore I claim right of way - have a bit of shoulder you mug!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:07 am

Modern Fossil wrote:
McShad wrote:.. all the yuppie types.....

thats so 80's ::):

It is... but it still fits... you all know the type I mean!

I might look like a skinny wee naff with an insignificant face, but I still know that I have right of way and that my steal toe cap boots will hurt them more than it will me

Platform marshall is exactly what it is.... someone pretending to control the masses trying to push on the train then has the all improtant job of waving to the driver to shut the doors and floor it
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:25 am

McShad your jist bummin yir load... just trying to say you get a more well-off bunch of anti-social people in your way than I do ... Hillhead yuppies indeed!

Must admit I'm also a practitioner of the accidental-on-purpose barge into people intent on their own inconsiderate private way :twisted:

It generally gets a response that's either the flabbergasted (oh my God, there's someone else in my underground system!) or the caught-out (ok I've been sussed - you know I'm a arrogant, selfish ignoramus and you know I know you know, so I'll pretend to be surprised and we call it a draw)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)