Druid Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:24 pm

What do druids actually do??? And how do you become one?? Do you have to train??

hmmmm ...google
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:27 pm

Although since Christian times Druids have been identified as wizards and soothsayers, in pre-Christian Celtic society they formed an intellectual class comprising philosophers, judges, educators, historians, doctors, seers, astronomers, and astrologers. The earliest surviving Classical references to Druids date to the 2nd century B.C.

http://www.crystalinks.com/druids.html

To become a Druid, students assembled in large groups for instruction and training, for a period of up to twenty years.

The mythologies describe Druids who were capable of many magical powers such as divination & prophesy, control of the weather, healing, levitation, and shapechanging themselves into the forms of animals.

Now, i'm warming to the druids! controlling the weather...prophesy...levitation and best of all shape changing!! ...now where do you train, sign me up!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:27 pm

http://www.druidcon.vscotland.org.uk/
http://www.baldernock.btinternet.co.uk/

I think you might have to grow a beard Sharon. And you'll need a stick of course...
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:33 pm

well, the beard i may struggle with, although i'm sure there probaly hormone treatments that would help!

but the stick...or shall we say...staff...well, that i can work on!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:33 pm

Heres my own small contribution:
http://blackdrop.blogspot.com/2003_03_1 ... chive.html

There is more on the trip archived on the blog.
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:19 pm

Lady Sharon of EyeTee
You might be interested in the Glasgow druid group Caer Clud (pronounced Care Clooth). Read more (and see photographs of the Necropolis deer) here ...

http://www.caerclud.vscotland.org.uk/index.html

Best, Wizard Bluetooth
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Maister Michael Scot

Postby jim » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:57 am

This guy sounds quite druidical. (although obviously not a 'real' druid)
http://www.lunatica.pwp.blueyonder.co.u ... l_Scot.htm

He apparently made Duke St (formerly Dobies Loan). By the state of it after a few jugs of the local mead.
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:26 pm

Sharon wrote:well, the beard i may struggle with, although i'm sure there probaly hormone treatments that would help!

but the stick...or shall we say...staff...well, that i can work on!

I thought Big Craig was your staff ...
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:28 pm

www.caerclud.vscotland.org.uk wrote:half a dozen of us, including a couple of brave first-timers, went to Linn Park to help with the work on the Millennium Project there. Recently, 300 year old limestone kilns had been found

Hmmm... this gives me an idea!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:34 pm

crusty_bint wrote:
www.caerclud.vscotland.org.uk wrote:half a dozen of us, including a couple of brave first-timers, went to Linn Park to help with the work on the Millennium Project there. Recently, 300 year old limestone kilns had been found

Hmmm... this gives me an idea!

Sunday?

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:42 pm

oh aye, that too :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby caine » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:05 pm

speaking of baldernock. there are caves up there that (apparently) stretch quite far under ground to the other side of the hills. we only ever went in once, but didnt know it was there so werent prepared for it and had no torches. never been back either. might have to check that out again.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby irnbru » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:12 am

hi there,

I have been a lurker on this forum for many months but thought its time to contribute :)

in regards to the artefacts from the 1930s dig- I will look them up- I work for Glasgow Museums and will see what info we have on them.

I heard about the Temple of the Moon from a book I have from the 1920s or so. Its in my small Glasgow library somewhere... but I also came across this site which I dont think anyone has mentioned yet:

http://www.geocities.com/alignedsites/

its quite interesting and gives "evidence" about the aligned places within Glasgow from our prehistoric past that are still in existance today.

I look forward to contributing more to this forum and I really think you are all doing a really great job !! I have my own research on Glasgow and numerous photos that I will contribute over time- but unfortunately I dont have real access to a digital camera just now but perhaps in the future I Will be able to contribute to future discussions....

cheers

irn
irnbru
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jim » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:45 am

I think most people on this sight are aware of the work of the late great Harry Bell. Excellent stuff!
Did anyone catch Sea of Souls last night? Ley lines along the Molendinar, ancient Druid temples, mysterious disappearances, etc.
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:35 pm

I can also verify the caves up the back of Craigmaddie. There is a guy who lives in a cave up there - he is a bit odd, as you can imagine. I am sure there is or was a guy who lived in a tee pee up there too (altho might have been the same guy's summer house).

My mum used to live in Craigmaddie house when she was housekeeper there and the grounds there are probably a whole topic in itself. I quickly asked her if she knew anything about druid activity there and she said no, I'm afraid.

I remember there being small derelict buidlings hidden in the woods though, partially underground and apparently these were used to hide paintings and artefacts from Glasgow museums during the war.

She also remembers there being ruins of a building she was told were a castle up behind the house - perhaps this is the temple? There is also an ice house up in the woods too (not to mention a gamekeeper with a gun, so if you are going wandering, be careful!)

The people who live in the house may well be amenable to letting you look around, although I don't think you would need their permission to look in the woods (not too hot on the land access thing).

I will see if she can remember anything else or anyone who may know about the druid angle!
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)