Druid Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Druid Glasgow

Postby Grahame » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 am

iamus wrote:Hrrm. The word version of GSG above seems to be missing almost the whole Hypothesis section. Does anyone have a version that includes it, and does anyone know if there's a map anywhere with the sites and lines marked? Thanks in advance.

Wow, so it is... never noticed that before. I have the original book, and I've also produced Google Earth placemark files of both GNAS and Forgotten Footsteps that you can find here. I mentioned this on another thread somewhere...

You should also check out May Miles Thomas' BAFTA award-winning site The Devil's Plantation for a fully immersive experience of the network.

Grahame
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby iamus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Cheers Grahame!

The Google Earth marks are exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I'd started to try it myself, but didn't have nearly enough information to be able to make any headway on it and secretly hoped some other enterprising soul with a better head for it had already taken the initiative ;)

I've managed to see some of The Devil's Plantation so far. I stumbled on that first after looking for more information on the Camphill Earthworks, and it was that that pushed me on to Harry's work.
iamus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrsix » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:21 am

iamus wrote:Hrrm. The word version of GSG above seems to be missing almost the whole Hypothesis section. Does anyone have a version that includes it, and does anyone know if there's a map anywhere with the sites and lines marked? Thanks in advance.

I managed to pick up a full copy, complete with map, off eBay at the end of last week for £5ish so there are still copies out there floating around.
The Psychogeographical Commission - Dystopian Folk for Dystopian Folk.

http://www.psychetecture.com
mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby iamus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Hrrrm. Since the (nearly) whole thing is online as a word document already, I wonder if we could maybe scan and .pdf it?
iamus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:16 am

Grahame wrote:You should also check out May Miles Thomas' BAFTA award-winning site The Devil's Plantation for a fully immersive experience of the network.Grahame

Immersive is the word. Set aside a couple of hours and experience the Devil's Plantation . Whether you believe it all or not is another matter, but the short videos are a better use of virtual film than most art school video work.

And if you make it through the whole journey you get a nice wee reward.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Shereen Nanjiani interviews May Miles Thomas, the Scottish film maker who swept the boards at the Baftas with her first feature film has done it again with a Bafta award for her haunting and mysterious website, The Devil's Plantation. She talks to Shereen about the Plantation, and about growing up in a Glasgow that now seems firmly rooted in a different era.

May started off in a room and Kitchen before moving to a flat in Pollok and then the girls hostel at The Art School. It's worth listen and the interview occurs about 40 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00wk8q4
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Cheers for that, Dex. Nice to hear some of the background to the project.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsix » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm

Ronnie wrote:Some starting points if anyone would like to do some research into the druids in Glasgow:
Ludovic Maclellan Mann wrote two books on Glasgow in the Dark Ages.
1 - Earliest Glasgow, A Temple of the Moon (The Mann Publishing Company Limited, Glasgow and London, 1938). This is in the Mitchell Library (G 913/ B476228). This book argues that Glasgow was a centre of moon worship. Quote: "Glasgow is rich in places named after the Moon divinity ... The suffix in the word Glasgow [is] one of the names given to the Moon Deity."

For those who have ever been on a search for this book, a copy was eventually tracked down (with the help of Ronnie of this parish) and I was allowed to photocopy the section concerning Glasgow (the rest is general waffle about prehistoric man and pretty irrelevant.), here it is in PDF form.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9xcuvq6tnknimi4

It's a bit on the wacky side, but should fire off some ideas for people. There's a cracking line in there about Greenock being a centre of Sun worship. :D ::):

mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Grahame » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:59 am

Mrsix, that file appears to have been deleted?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 am

Fascinating. I watched a bit of the Devil's Plantation however haven't read The Secret Geometry.
What was the conclusion of the Secret Geometry and the link between Harry Bell and Mary Ross' travels?
They also mentioned that Harry Bell failed to find what he thought as a missing co-ordinate - any theories?
What did the druids actually do between these lines? Did they just walk between them? 8O

Re the gap in the Auld Wives Lift Baldernock/ tunnels and supposed Druid connection;
How big is the gap?
Didn't the Druids seek rebirth within the Earth and would sit in darkness awaiting the time of their "rebirth"
as in the example of Newgrange which is in my territory - almost.

http://www.newgrange.com/
maybe there's a connection in the Auld Wives Lifts and the hole underneath the stones or the tunnels.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:44 pm

mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rshume341 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:40 am

The knappers quarry is still their ,but significantly buried about 50-150 ft under ground level. The site islocated about 40 feet or so north of the great western road. not far from the fiva aside football courts and between the golf course this should give forum members a good pinpoint for it. on the other side of the GWR are a set of 5 tower blocks. the second and third from the east over look the site, but the trees etc block the view. This site was pretty well buried around the second world war timeframe to make room for the GWR/A82.

the Goldenhill park hold a roman fort and a bared part of the Antonine wall. access to the park is closest to the roman road between the church and the burn (small stream running east west mostly). From here it is a short walk though the park up the hill to the fenced bare wall section, and as you continue to go up hill there is sections of grass of different colour where the fort excavation occurred some years back.

the Cragmaddie moor sire holds the Auld wive's lifts, and i is three megaliths in an upturned triangle, a large stable structure you can climb on and through. This site has multiple carvings and pictographs, Graffiti like etchings show names dated back to the roman times. This site is about 200yards off the road behind a farm. Yes you can and need to go through the farm and immediately pat the haybarn through the gate then turn left and continue a short way further to the valley area it sits in. warning ir is deep in peat and on wetter days may be a harder walk (wear boots or wellingtons after you pass the gate of the farm). courtesy may be to knock at the farm and say you are going to the lifts, it is not necessary, but you will get more exact directions if wanted. This is getting close to Milngavie so it is a little way from the enties above. the north blochairn fam i think is the one to walk through

Another nearby site of historical interest is the Mugdock park just a couple of milesat the most from the lifts. here there are a castle and a ruined manor and a little walk on one of the paths will let you see some WW2 gun and defence locations. this area gives a good day out and reasonable food in mugdock. remember a camera for pictures.
rshume341
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rshume341 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 am

IMG_20180208_015815_HDR.jpg
this is a picture of the site from the 30's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rshume341
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rshume341 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 am

the photo of the clydebank temple as part of msp info sent to residents.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rshume341
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby lacancan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:31 pm

hi. re-requesting bell's GSG. Has anyone got a PDF? tnx 8)
lacancan
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)